Translation Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]

Nikhl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, zkarts said that they would have pleonex on board. I never assumed that Google Translate would accomplish anything (beyond my Spanish homework), but having a person who actually worked the game would significantly improve the translate text. That's why I mentioned the idea. After all, it looks like Japanese/English translators are an endangered species.

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
See, zkarts said that they would have pleonex on board. I never assumed that Google Translate would accomplish anything (beyond my Spanish homework), but having a person who actually worked the game would significantly improve the translate text. That's why I mentioned the idea. After all, it looks like Japanese/English translators are an endangered species.

We do have pleonex on board and we talk often. He's a great help in the project, but he's most definitely not a translator and he didn't have much to do with the actual spanish translation either. He made most of the tools to make it possible and make it work.
The Japanese/English translators aren't really biting, though, so I was hoping that the finish of the Spanish translation would help lure them in. We're also looking into translating at least the TGS demo in translated form for that same purpose, but there are differences with the main game (obviously), so it's not quite that simple.

xxfirefoxxy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there!

Just found this thread from searching about the Ni No Kuni localisation process for one of my final undergrad translation assignments, and I wanted to ask whether the project is still up and running? I noticed that the Google Drive documents were last modified in December (except the Names/Location and Readme), but after reading through the thread I'm guessing you guys are still looking for a Japanese->English translator?

I'm just about to graduate with a Linguistics and Japanese degree, and would love to volunteer some of my translation skills! I've completed both versions of the game (PS3 English and DS Japanese) and was looking for some more translation projects to do until I take my Master's degree in Translation. Been learning Japanese for too many years and I need something to help me keep it up while I'm working!

The only thing I noticed was that the fan localisation doesn't use a lot of the terminology of the official PS3 localisation, which I thought was really unusual. While I agree it works for a lot of things (I prefer using Ichi no Kuni & Ni No Kuni myself), not using the names for the shopkeepers, such as hootenanny, confuses me. I thought that the official translators did an amazing job, especially with the familiars as well, and figured that keeping those would not only be helpful for people who have played the PS3 version, but also interesting for people who haven't played the game before at all.

Either way, I want to take part! Hope it's not dead! :)

p.s I also have the Wizard's Companion book in both English and Japanese, if that makes any difference.

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi there!

Just found this thread from searching about the Ni No Kuni localisation process for one of my final undergrad translation assignments, and I wanted to ask whether the project is still up and running? I noticed that the Google Drive documents were last modified in December (except the Names/Location and Readme), but after reading through the thread I'm guessing you guys are still looking for a Japanese->English translator?

I'm just about to graduate with a Linguistics and Japanese degree, and would love to volunteer some of my translation skills! I've completed both versions of the game (PS3 English and DS Japanese) and was looking for some more translation projects to do until I take my Master's degree in Translation. Been learning Japanese for too many years and I need something to help me keep it up while I'm working!

The only thing I noticed was that the fan localisation doesn't use a lot of the terminology of the official PS3 localisation, which I thought was really unusual. While I agree it works for a lot of things (I prefer using Ichi no Kuni & Ni No Kuni myself), not using the names for the shopkeepers, such as hootenanny, confuses me. I thought that the official translators did an amazing job, especially with the familiars as well, and figured that keeping those would not only be helpful for people who have played the PS3 version, but also interesting for people who haven't played the game before at all.

p.s I also have the Wizard's Companion book in both English and Japanese, if that makes any difference.

FANTASTIC! They're looking for a person exactly like you. Hopefully, one of the team members will contact you :) Best of luck and THANX A LOT for doing this :D Your effort will be HIGHLY APPRECIATED :)

Reactions: xxfirefoxxy

Zkarts

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there!

Awesome that I'm not nearly the first one to reply :P
But as the others were saying, the project is not dead. I'm the one most active in the Drive, but I can't really do that much as I'm not a full-blown translator. There are still some things happening behind the scenes, though. Trying to get what we have working correctly in the game, etc.

Anyway, we'd gladly have you on the project, so I'll send you a PM to get everything setup. :)

EDIT: I forgot to add that the reason we're not blindly taking up the PS3 translation's names is because we wanted to make a localisation based strongly on the original. A strong example for this is how they turned "maaku" or Mark into Philip, somehow.
This does not mean that the official translation's names are completely out of the question, but we want to take a look at what we can do and what we could come up with. The translation has not been released yet (obviously...) so changes can still be made :P

xxfirefoxxy

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking forward to helping out!

Also I completely agree with not changing the characters' names that were localised for the PS3 release, changing them to Shadar, Esther, etc seemed like it made the translation harder than it needed to be! However, for certain names and the familiars, I thought the puns and play-on-words that were found in the PS3 version were really cleverly done. I am totally up for discussing this though! :)

Reactions: zfreeman and Zkarts

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I hope you could work together and that it will finally be done.
Previous translators abandoned or just stopped giving sign of life... that's so bad :(
I think (if it hasn't been fixed since then) there are now different written style due to multiple translator doing different part of the game or menus. You might have to read proof that too.

There's a lot of text to translate, but seeing you played both versions you already know that ;)
So I guess you know where you step and how much work it will demand.

Good luck for the project and for your master's degree.
Thank you for taking interest in gaming community and fan translation.

rmladenov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I started translating Ninokuni Shikkoku no Madoushi into Bulgarian. I'm already to the trials cave. I will try to translate everything - NPCs, Side Quests, item names, etc. If I can be of any help with the English translation, I would be glad to help. I have created a simple application which takes screenshots from the emulator, then passes the through OCR-like procedure and gets the text, then looks up the dialogs from a text files which contain the japanese to bulgarian translation. The translated text is shown as a subtitle, because I want to see the original also. Here's a sample screenshot:

ninokunids2.jpg

rmladenov

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, just for funsies I translated one of the pages of the "Magic Master" into Bulgarian. Is there a community of fan translators of Ninokuni where various topics regarding the translation to be discussed?

demo_page21.jpg

Last edited by rmladenov,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the other thread (where you already posted) is a main place where all translations are discussed.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ninokuni-shikkoku-no-madoushi-translation-project.310214/

This is not very active.
Spanish is released, and other language translator are busy so they don't come to that thread very often.
if you have questions, just be patient.

I don't know any other forum or place where you could discuss it.
Maybe Romhacking.net?

Just for information : releasing translated version of the book may be a bad idea due to copyright violation. We don't know if the developers care, but they might ask that you stop releasing your files or your entire project.
You can create a new book (yeah, it require lot of work), or not release it officially on public website with your patch.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, just for funsies I translated one of the pages of the "Magic Master" into Bulgarian. Is there a community of fan translators of Ninokuni where various topics regarding the translation to be discussed?

View attachment 24471
You can contact jefelin, Ninokuni's translation leader and translator. I think he has a gbatemp account.

Dark Fulgore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I had access to translation tools (I mean, easy-to-use tools, because I'm not familiar with ROM hacking), I can translate it to brazilian portuguese. :D
I mean, from the english version, because I don't know sh*t from japanese. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol