Gaming Ni no Kuni: The Another World Demo

nusilver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else played it? It's basically a mix between Dragon Quest and a Studio Ghibli movie, complete with an enthralling score by Joe Hisaishi. Finished the demo in about an hour during my commute to work this morning - and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I have to say something about the design work. Simply put, there's not a single character or environment in this game that I haven't seen in a Ghibli movie.

I haven't bothered looking up the names, so I'm just going to give them labels: the boy looks just like Arren from Gedo Senki; the little doll that comes to life, Shizuku I think his name is, reminds me of the frogs in Spirited Away; the little horned-knight that joins your party at one point looks like the simplified/devolved version of Ponyo. Except with horns.

As far as environments, there's so much that reminds me of Ghibli's films: from the forest that is similar to the environs surrounding Mei and Satsuki's house in Tonari no Totoro to the European town that is just like those used in films from Kiki's Delivery Service to Gedo Senki, a boss reminiscent somehow of both the tatari gami in Mononoke Hime and the giant robot from Castle in the Sky...Ghibli fans have seen all this before. It's clear from this recycling that Miyazaki has had little to no involvement in the game; the last I checked, he's not a big gaming fan anyway.

Having said that - I did mean it when I said I thoroughly enjoyed this demo and I will play it again. There's something to be said for being able to steer an avatar through a Studio Ghibli created world - a world that, while created for this new game, will be instantly familiar to Ghibli fans.

vash1223

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrHayate said:
A fan of Disney aren't ya?
Well actually Studio Ghibli did movies and such before they went with Disney. In answer to OT I am really looking forward to this game, i just hope that it gets localized in the US.

nusilver

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrHayate said:
A fan of Disney aren't ya?

mm, yes, but like the previous poster said, Disney doesn't have anything to do with Studio Ghibli's films other than that they distribute them in a number of non-Japanese territories.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah well.

Having played the demo, and judging from the available footage, I must say there is little to this game apart from the visuals and sound that is immediatly impressive. Ni no kuni seems like the next basic, generic JRPG that doesn't do anything new or exciting in terms of gameplay and combat.

Now it looks and sounds spectacular. It looks even better than I thought it would, even the in-game cutscenes are absolutely great. The voice acting is fantastic. The FMV are fluid and frequent. The soundtrack is as awesome as you'd expect - but cut away the pretty stuff, and this demo could easily have been made with the RPGmaker.

The combat seems very, very uninspired. But we'll see. Its also very possible that the script and writing more than make up for this - I wouldn't know. I didn't understand a word of the dialogue in this japanese demo.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @MysticStarlight, Luckily, he survived.