Hacking Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii is out now.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
Would someone care to reveal the classic power-up they mentioned?
And maybe confirm if it's true what Crediar said about being able to play it with just the classic controller?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There's only one thing I don't like about it:

Riivolution doesn't work on Wii U, I was planing to sell my Wii, once Wii U can play GC Games ... but, they want to force me to keep my Wii ...
No they don't. It's just that the riivolution devs aren't interested in making RV work on the Wii U. You can complain to them.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have to say, was never really psyched for Newer, but tried it out on release, and I am quite impressed :)
I am actually liking it, some of it does seem to have a Super Mario World feel to it, which I like :)
Up to world 5 so far.

As for the whole "OMG PLZ MAEK ISO FROM DIS" and "NOOOEZ ITS IMPOSSIBRU":

Dunno if I should post this, but...
For shits and giggles, I did actually try building an iso from this for myself tonight, and I did get it to load the game fine, however said iso blackscreened whenever the game tried to load the world map, and I am not quite sure why... I think I may have just built the iso wrong, but not sure atm... :unsure:

Reactions: KiiWii

Excelsiior

Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
No they don't. It's just that the riivolution devs aren't interested in making RV work on the Wii U. You can complain to them.

That's actually wrong. Chadderz and Bean have a working Riivolution for Wii U. But they want to make it so, that only /their/ hacks will be supported. I have to admit I hate the direction the community is going.

Only stereotypes, complaining about A/P, waiting for others to do the stuff (failoverflow), keeping things private and ensure only your own stuff works (Chadderz and Beans). Bah.

Yes, of course newerteam does not explicitly force me, but implicitly, if you know what I mean... Either way, I'll just skip it.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The conversion is rather fantastic. The success of how well the art blends into the New style varies but I appreciate the efforts all the same. The same goes to new original music although I swear I hear part of the Fringe tune in some of the towers music. I've finished a direct play-through of it (skipped levels, etc) and will definitely be going back to 100% the game.

What Crediar says is true. You can play with the classic controller and also a Nunchuk I believe. The game tells you this the very first time you start it. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy having X be the spin jump/shake action and having B and A run and jump. Personal preference mind you since it is understandable why it is like that.

And to the folks complaining that they cannot play this from an ISO, stop being cheap. A burned out drive is not the devs problem and your "standards" on how much homebrew should support piracy is utter bullshit. I've pirated before. Yep. You know what that entitled me to? Jack shit. They made this, its their choice what they want to support. Don't like it? Find something else to do instead of bitching how you are being inconvenienced today. Here is another rationalization for you. Console piracy is cheaper than it has ever been to engage in. Spend some fucking money on a copy of the game and/or to replace your DVD drive/Wii console if the drive is legitimately your problem.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If the on-disc compression is known, it would be theoretically possible to decompress the main binary, get a copy of the decompressed changes (after patching in R), and recompress that modified binary?

Throw in a batch file with a delta patcher, and you have a patch for the ISO. But this is a good bit of work if it's not just a binary or two that won't take direct file replacement.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If the on-disc compression is known, it would be theoretically possible to decompress the main binary, get a copy of the decompressed changes (after patching in R), and recompress that modified binary?

Throw in a batch file with a delta patcher, and you have a patch for the ISO. But this is a good bit of work if it's not just a binary or two that won't take direct file replacement.
Yeah, this has been done with translations before.

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar

For shits and giggles, I did actually try building an iso from this for myself tonight, and I did get it to load the game fine, however said iso blackscreened whenever the game tried to load the world map, and I am not quite sure why... I think I may have just built the iso wrong, but not sure atm... :unsure:

Did you apply the memory patches in the XML, and Loader.bin? All of that stuff is necessary, there's a reason why we added it :P

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, was never really psyched for Newer, but tried it out on release, and I am quite impressed :)
I am actually liking it, some of it does seem to have a Super Mario World feel to it, which I like :)
Up to world 5 so far.

It intentionally doesn't work by building an ISO like that, but I'll look at the Riivolution XML and codeset it uses and see what I can make.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, help an old geek out here for a minute guys. I read the use instructions on the newerteam website and I'm confused ... it says to create an apps folder on the SD card, drop the Riivolution folder into it, unpack the newer files onto the root directory of the SD card, insert SD card into Wii, load Riivolution in the homebrew channel, insert retail disk, play.

Fine.

But question ... on their installation instructions page, it also shows what your SD card directory structure should look like, and even though it said to put the riivolution folder into "apps", they show a riivolution folder at the SD card root too.

OIEMkGJ.jpg

If I put 'riivolution' in the apps folder, what's it also doing at the card root directory?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. Hadn't realized a 'riivolution' folder was included in the newerSMB download packet.

Also, second question:
I've already got an SD card in my wii which holds all my VC and wiiware, and still has a couple GB free. Is there any problem using this same SD card to also hold Riivolution plus this mod, or is it intended to be kept on a separate SD card for some reason??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Maybe a ghost writer?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Oh my God the graphics are so realistic looking." Lol of course it was the shiznit back then tho.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've never stood in line overnight or for hours, to buy anything. I can just wait and buy it later.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I have never done that either.
    closest ive done is getting to target a couple hours early in the moring to get some amiibos.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
    But that topic makes me sad. :(
    Abusive narcissistic ex shame guilted me into selling them becasue my gaming and interests were childish like a little kid collecting toys. :(
    I had soooooooooooo many of them. All still sealed.
    +1
    I eventually had to contact a domestic abuse advocate to help me get out of the apartment I was in a lease with her. And filed a restraining order on her cuz she kept harassing me after i left her.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt bring my Charger and nobody here has one compatible with my phone
    either you have usb C and no one else does, or everone else has usb c except you. haha
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, i don't have usb c
    That happened to me for like a year. lol. I was the only one of all my friends and family to still have an old phone.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, my phone is from around 2019
    Mine was from 2017. lolol. I just got this new one like 6 months ago. Not even new, second hand cheapo $40 phone. But it has usb c. lol
    I cant justify $1k+ on a nice ass phone. I can spend that on a 75" tv screen. Why a 6" screen device cost me the same? lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had a iPhone 5 for like 6 years, till last year, and had to get new phone, when phone companies stop using the cdna networks, which the iphone5 used.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A phone can do more than a TV
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    These smart TVs are getting close tho. Gonna be like "back to future" TVs before long.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah a phones going to always be more powerful than a TV if the TVs $2grand maybe but why when I can put a smaller device in my pocket that does basically everything a TV already does
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can justify a decent $800 smartphone that'll last 3 years when I could get a 65" TV for $400 and buy a decent micro computer for $100 more
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf there are decent $400 smartphones in today's market that make top end spec phones unjust it's just what you want
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tbf there are decent $400 smartphones in today's market that make top end spec phones unjust...