Newbie very confused about installing homebrew?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by thenewbie, Oct 25, 2014.

1. thenewbie
    OP

thenewbie Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2014
    Hey guys,
    So i recently (as of 2 hours ago) picked up a second hand dsi running 1.2A software.

I want to be able to play custom homebrew apps on it, such as music players and the like. I dont have any of the games listed on the bootmii.org exploit list, but i may be able to rent one of them for a couple of bucks to get the job done.

Is it possible to rent one of the games to install the homebrew channel to internal memory, and be able to play homebrew apps from a sd card, even after returning the game?

Apologies if this has been asked before, i did attempt a search.

Thanks in advance,

2. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    All the games on the exploit list can only be used from the DSi Shop. Because the exploits can't be loaded after 1.4.1 and you need to have the latest firmware to download one of the games, it is too late for you to use any of those exploits.

3. thenewbie
    OP

thenewbie Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2014

Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything i can do then?

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Technically it's possible by dumping the NAND (soldering the MMC-compatible NAND chip to a USB dongle), decrypting it and extracting dev.kp which contains the keys generated by your system when it first connected to the eShop, practically it's not feasible unless you're a hacker with extensive know-how. It's been years and I'm yet to see someone come up with a practical way of extracting that file that would be available to the masses - you're unfortunately out of luck.

5. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    You can run DS homebrew off an R4 card.

6. thenewbie
    OP

thenewbie Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2014

Awesome, so because im still incredibly confused, can i use r4 cards on the latest version? Or should i not update my dsi from 1.2?

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Any flashcart that's recorded as working on the 3DS's current firmware will also work on the DSi. There's more that will also work on the DSi, but if they don't work on the 3DS's current firmware, then chances are support has been dropped for them. Unsupported flashcarts may be cheaper, but if you ever want to use it in a 3DS later, you'll be out of luck.

8. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Where could I learn more about this?

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto