Newbie to Flash Carts

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by lordshotgun, Sep 14, 2013.

1. lordshotgun
    OP

lordshotgun Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2013
    United States
    So I just bought this thing without knowing much about flash cards.

http://www.amazon.com/NINTENDO-comp...e-Powershot/dp/B004X7ROPU/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_t_1

It hasn't arrived yet so I cannot see exactly what it is but anyone know if I just got ripped off? If not can it be made to run roms or something. I am kinda flailing around in the dark here and after reading the FAQs I am less and less hopeful that whatever I bought is actually going to work.

I am contemplating just buying the dstwo thingy and going from there but hopefully I can just do SOMETHING with the above flash card.

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    That's not a flash cart. That's a normal memory stick for the 3DS (and will also work on the PC and the Wii and anything that takes SDHC).

3. lordshotgun
    OP

lordshotgun Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2013
    United States
    Well fuck me then. Oh well. Guess I'm off to go buy the dstwo then. Any help picking out a good dealer?

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
  5. lordshotgun
    OP

lordshotgun Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2013
    United States
  6. Rizsparky

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Aug 13, 2007
    The Future
  7. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    It doesn't drain the battery. Actually it drains less than R4i Gold. Clicky

8. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Actually one difference is that since the DS doesn't actually shut off of go to sleep when it's in "sleep" mode, the DSTwo still runs (since it needs to power it's CPU and such), so it does drain battery... in "sleep" mode.

But the DS's "sleep" mode is so shitty in the first place I've had my DSi die with legit pokemon game carts overnight, people shouldn't even use it.

Xexyz likes this.
  9. daysandy
    This message by daysandy has been removed from public view by raulpica, Oct 4, 2013.
    Oct 3, 2013
  10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Please do not suggest a crap clone. The only R4 clone that is acceptable is the R4i Gold (url on card: r4ids.cn) from nds-card.com GBAtemp's official sponsor

Xexyz and Ryukouki like this.
  11. daysandy
    This message by daysandy has been removed from public view by raulpica, Oct 4, 2013.
    Oct 3, 2013
  12. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
  13. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    couldnt agree more there

the R4i-SDHC.com card are terrible
    they mainly release a new card with every update so you have to keep buying new cards

but yes a MicroSD card will be needed, i would recommend at least a 4-8GB Class 10 microSD
    but a Class 6 would be fine but if you want fast loading and saving go for a class 10

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The r4i SDHC is popular because people keep recommending it despite it not being a good card. Being a popular card does not always equal a good card. The DSTT for the longest time was extremely popular, despite the fact that the team almost never updated and when they did it was stolen updates. The R4i SDHC itself is also an R4/DSTT clone with a few extra parts thrown in it and updates most likely taken from retrogamefan and YWG. Worst of all their official site links to a rom site.

Compared the R4i Gold which uses Wood R4 officially, which is one of the best kernels out there, not to mention still a cheap card.

Please refer to this list
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/which-flash-cart-should-i-get.290097/