Newbie Q re 3DS. Can you freeze it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by moneybox, Jan 3, 2012.

Jan 3, 2012
  1. moneybox
    OP

Newcomer moneybox Newbie

United Kingdom
    Last hack was soldering my PS1!
    Do not want to damage daughters 3DS. She still likes her Dad!!
    I have a few ROM backups for DS games, which I would like to run on the 3DS for her from 1 cart.

1) What card?
    2) What download? is it called a kernel?
    3) How do I know what V software she has? Does it matter! (only interested in running backups of our DS games, as she is too young to play the 3DS games yet).

But more importantly if I get this wrong is there any risk of freezing the 3DS?! Googled but cant find a dummies guide! , Shes too young. I'm too old!

Thanks for helping a newbie!

2. BoxmanWTF

Member BoxmanWTF ♪Toot Toot Sonic Warrior♫

Canada
    Don't worry, just get a flashcart.
    Recommended ones are the Acekard 2i(less expensive), and the Supercard DStwo(more expensive)
    and to see which system firmware your 3DS is running you go to settings and look at the bottom right corner of the top screen
    EDIT: There's no risk of freezing the 3DS, only making your flashcard useless if you update the 3DS before a fix is made available for the flashcard, but the two mentioned work on any 3DS firmware so far.

1 person likes this.
  3. donelwero

Member donelwero GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    There are many cards you can buy. The best cards are Acekard 2i, Supercard DSTWO amongst the best.

Yes you will need to download the system files for any of the cards you buy and put those files on the micro SD that goes inside those cards.

And, no, you cannot brick the 3DS. As you don't have to do anything with it but play.
    Find out which card suits you better, buy it and then you can come here for help, we are a helping community so feel free to ask whatever you need.

1 person likes this.
  4. moneybox
    OP

Newcomer moneybox Newbie

United Kingdom
    Thanks so much. Have ordered a Acekard 2i. Will pop back if I have problems setting it up. Where do I go for the system files I need?

5. Kiaku

Member Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1 person likes this.