Newbie needs advice - ROM won't play on ds n5

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Moogie17, Feb 20, 2009.

Feb 20, 2009
  1. Moogie17
    OP

Newcomer Moogie17 Member

United Kingdom
    Hi folks,

Bit of a newb here when it comes to the DS, I only just got mine for Christmas and an n5 card to go with it. Believe it or not I actually got the card for legit reasons - one of my site's users is developing a DS remake of an old classic and I hope to be able to play his demo soon. But that's beside the point.

I slipped, and indeed have some ROMs on the card now too. I have the problem with the only one I'm really keen to play though - Shining Force: Feather. I absolutely intend to buy the official release but due to life circumstances I simply cannot spare the money. I shan't bore you with the details of my little life, but you can rest assured that I am a bigtime Shining Force fan and will always buy the games rather than emulate them. I love the series too much to disrespect it. However, as admin of the web's biggest Shining Force community site it seems a bit wrong that I haven't tried the game yet, and cannot discuss it with fellow fans.

When I try to play SF:Feather I get a lovely little Japanese message crop up which I believe is something to do with it not being able to find a save file. Oh poo.
    I read somewhere that something called YSMenu can make it work but I really can't afford to screw up my DS or n5 and from what little I've read I see it is for something called the DSTT or the R4... I think?
    Anyway, what I need to know is if and how I can use this YSMenu on my n5 card or whether there's something else I can do to fix this problem?

I had wondered if it was a bad dump or download but having tried several now I still have the same problem.

I'm sorry to have to come here so newbishly asking for help, but hope that some kind soul here will be able to offer me some assistance or advice.

keep on Shining [​IMG]
    Moogie (of Shining Force Central)

2. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    The n5 is a clone of the r4 so i assume it should work great on the n5

3. Moogie17
    OP

Newcomer Moogie17 Member

United Kingdom
    I guess I shouldn't have listened to the friend who recommended the n5 [​IMG] I don't want it to mess up my DS but I can't afford to replace it at the moment - long story.
    I'll just have to see if I can get YSMenu on my n5. Hopefully that'll do the trick for now and then when my situation is sorted out I can buy the official SF:Feather cart and replace my n5.

Thanks for your help! Will post again if I have any trouble with this YSMenu. I assume I just delete the n5 firmware from the micro sd card and put the YSMenu files on instead.
    One way to find out [​IMG]

EDIT:
    woohoo!!
    thankyou thankyou thankyou.
    I have got YSMenu on my n5 now and the game works. I'm so excited [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I've got plans for this afternoon and can't play it just yet but tonight, oh tonight will be something very special indeed.

4. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    snicker snicker snicker

I suggest you use a2h's YSMenu Generator to make sure you're running the most recent and updated YSMenu.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=130359
    It also seems/feels a little bit faster than the previous version I tried and a2h's tool makes it super easy to use.

5. Alraune

Newcomer Alraune Newbie

Brazil
    i tried YSMenu on my n5 and the menu dont run, what u do? D: