New "YouTube channel" update stubbed some cIOS files

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiGamer86, Nov 20, 2012.

1. WiiGamer86
    OP

Newcomer WiiGamer86 Newbie

United States
    Yesterday night my brother, without my consent, decided to update the hacked Wii for the YouTube channel and Wii transfer application. This wasn't a system update so the Homebrew channel wasn't affect but the Wii menu theme and the cIOS files were affected by this update. The YouTube channel is nice but I like to restore the capability of loading my backup copies of games I own.

Rather assume things, I wanted to know exactly what I need to do to fix the Wii so it can load backup games again.

Here is my SysCheck report if anyone needs that information:
    SysCheck GX report

2. Zero

Banned Zero Belief will always save me

United States
    Use IOS236 installer, install your cIOS stuff again.

WiiGamer86 likes this.
  3. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    Grab ModMii and re-install all your cIOS or if your not comfortable with that use ModMii to re-hack your Wii albeit the 1st option is the easiest & strait to the point.

WiiGamer86 likes this.
  4. WiiGamer86
    OP

United States
    Oh okay, so I just re-install any cIOS files that got stubbed, right?
    Thanks for the quick reply, kylster and Zero.

5. kylster

United States
    Anytime if your worried about people updating your Wii again just use ShowMiiWads to change the version# of all your cIOS to 65535 this way they will not be overwritten during system updates I do this all the time. You can also use the cIOS-installer to install them with max version#(65535) I just prefer PC option it's a lot easier to me.

6. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Key advice, hide the Wiimote in your room. My brother tried that with the Netflix channel.

NahuelDS likes this.
  7. WiiGamer86
    OP

United States
    Okay I got my Wii to play backups again. Here is a list what I did for anyone curious or anyone who stumbles upon this thread.
    • I downloaded the recommended cIOS through ModMii (202,222,223,224,249,250)
    • I also downloaded the IOS 236 installer and the IOS36 v3351 through ModMii
    • Going by kylster's advice, change the version numbers for the six cIOS to 65535 using ShowMiiWads
    • Copy the files and also the Muti-Mod-Manager application to the SD card (I put the Wads in a folder called tmp, I put the apps in the apps folder, and I placed the IOS36 file on the root of the SD card)
    • Then launch the IOS236 installer and let it install
    • After that, I launched Muti-Mod-Manager
    • Then I changed the IOS used to 236
    • Then I selected the folder I put the cIOS files for install and Install the files
    I had a short discussion with my younger brother about updating the Wii. I told him that he should wait until I read up on any update from Nintendo from trusted sources before he performs the update in question. As far as the YouTube channel goes, it not bad; much better than using the outdated browser to view YouTube videos.
    As far as I know, the latest update will not remove the Homebrew channel, just mess up some custom IOS files need to play backup files.

Celice and Taleweaver like this.
  8. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    That's odd, I installed Youtube channel via shop channel, and none of my cIOS were stubbed, maybe your brother update the whole system in order to enter the shop channel.

9. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    His brother probably updated the Wii Shop Channel normally and at the same time it stubs the cIOS.

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You didn't need to re-install IOS236, this one wasn't stubbed.
    but, no harm in doing so, it's just an unnecessary step.

The "latest" update doesn't mess the cIOS particularly.
    All updates replace IOS, system menu and channels (photo, weather, etc.) which have their version number inferior than the version located on Nintendo Server or than the game's update partition you try to launch from the System menu.

the cIOS located on Nintendo Servers have a version number 65280.
    The current cIOS version is 21
    so, it's replaced automatically if you launch an update process.

By changing the version number of the cIOS to 65535 (the maximum possible version), nothing will be higher than that, and they won't be replaced anymore.
    Loaders will report version 65535 instead of the real cIOS version, but you know what you installed :)

11. Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer Duckuss_Maxximo Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks for resolving that issue guys! I thought I was royally screwed! I haven't gotten a chance to do this yet. I tried using dop-mii to try to delete those stubbed ios and reinstalling them but I realized they were still stubbed regardless. Then I tried to downgrade to 4.2. That didn't do anything either. Then I was gonna try to format the wii system memory from the wii settings. When I saw the disclaimer I chose not to because I have stuff I actually bought prior to modding. I hope everything goes smoothly after I try this. Kinda sucks because I started deleting saves that wouldn't move to the sd card but as long as I can play all my backups again I don't mind replaying through the ones I lost.

P.S. After I do this it should also let me change my menu theme back with my menuify with ease right? I read here: http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?17,54678 that IOS249 might be what my menuify uses. I wouldn't have to use the Patchmii cIOS installer if this fixes IOS249 right? I have Multi-mod manager and the IOS236 installer already. Should I get that IOS236 installer again though just to be on the safe side or do you think it'll be fine?

12. Duckuss_Maxximo

United States
    Worked like a charm! Thanks for the solution. I didn't even have to change most of the IOS's, they were already set to 65535. The only one I had to change was IOS249. Everything's working great again! I'll remember to do my research first if anything like this ever comes up again. I read somewhere it was fine to update so that's why I did it.

13. kylster

United States
    Glad we can all be of help to you two :)

14. Katsumi San

Member Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    The current Wii Update (4.3U the one that updates the wii shop channel) will only stub/re-stubb the IOSes and all you have to do is use ModMii to download whatever it stubbed and etc. I know this because I did this with my NTSC-U Wii and my USB Loader GX just said it could not find any custom IOS/CIOS giving me a reboot to the Wii menu screen.

15. Walker D

Member Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    Is there already a way to install this youtube channel outside the US using a wad ?

I didn't followed the progress on it..

16. kylster

United States
    No
    Don't forget about boot2 being updated if your not already on v4 this only means you will also have to install bootmii@boot2 again if you had done so previously but most if not all should have this update already.

17. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    It depends if someone can pack in wad form, but you are from Brasil, just change the country to US, update the shop channel through Dop-Mii or whatever method you like, download YouTube channel, change your country again to Brasil and you are done. I´m from Chile and I don´t have any problems seeing YouTubes from Wii =)

18. Walker D

Member Walker D I have a hat

Brazil
    Ah thanks for the tip ^^
    I read some people sayn something like that, but wasn't aware that it actually worked

19. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Pff, wrong, I did exactly that and it essentially works. Even though it's the NTSC version, it already has some PAL support--when detecting a PAL console it switches to a 542-line display mode (in NTSC modes it runs with 456 lines). Unfortunately, it does this regardless of what the Wii itself is set to, so it won't work in 480p/i on a PAL Wii. With some video mode patching I've been able to get it running in 480i, but not 480p as yet.

20. Duckuss_Maxximo

United States
    Now that some time has passed, I noticed something might've messed up IOS55. Both Spectrobes Origins and Monster Hunter Tri keep freezing on me. I thought downgrading it to the old 4633 version would give me the desired result but no dice. They still keep freezing. I read that these games have proven to be problematic (even the hard copies) but they both worked just fine previous to this update. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next course of action should be? Has anyone had this problem? Should I just give up on trying to play those games entirely? Please help