one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
This is a firmware flasher. bryehn, I realised what your point was;
Currently, as there are no cable connectors available, you need to solder the cable on the board and you could call it a hardmod. However, I'm pretty sure some company will produce cables that fit in Wii's special IDE connector.

smile.gif

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
well, once you've installed the cable, and run the program, can you disconnect the cable, and continue to run iso's?

no u have to have the pc connected as well as having program open.
Oh god, CAN'T YOU READ?!

You connect your Wii's DVD drive to your PC, flash it's firmware with this utility and put it back in your Wii, presumably forever. Now, which part is hard to understand?

Can a moderator delete unnecessary posts? Thanks.

miniCooperS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That sounds about right to me. I remember some old softmods for the xbox were pretty ghetto like this. But the code is here now, and if we just give it some time, this could be a pretty decent mod.

Personally, if I have to solder to the motherboard, I might as well solder a wiinja or something, but thats just me.

*edit

QUOTE said:
./dvdtool -r 0x8000

This command looks (at least to me) like it is given the address of the dvd drive to flash. Once this is done, you don't need the cable connected, and I suppose you could desolder it from the motherboard if you wanted. Or like Mahe said, you could wait for somebody to manufacture a cable that doesn't need to be soldered. Either way, the wii has to be taken apart and the dvd removed to be flashed.

HopOnRocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So who is going to be the brave soul that attempts this first?
If anyone out there tries it, could you perhaps take pictures? Such as the cable, and a game running if you can get it to work?

miniCooperS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to play Wii backups that bad. At least not right now.
smile.gif

I'm still waiting to see the best solution before I jump on any particular bandwagon. Just like I waited to buy the DSLite instead of the old DS, and like when I kept my PSP at v1.5 and basically didn't use it until the custom firmwares started showing up. Anyway that is besides the point. If I had the desire, I would, but I don't.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
well, i wouldnt try it yet, seeing as how at the bottom of the info, it says 'expect a new version soon' maybe region unlocking abilities or dre fix is coming...

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is a firmware flasher. bryehn, I realised what your point was;
Currently, as there are no cable connectors available, you need to solder the cable on the board and you could call it a hardmod. However, I'm pretty sure some company will produce cables that fit in Wii's special IDE connector.

smile.gif

at first i thought it'd just be a network to usb cable...streaming like the old (crappy) GameCube method.

WunSick

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.devo-e.com
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong here, but from what i understand this does not FLASH your firmware, merely allows you to inject code into the DVD drives ram, much like this current chips out. Ill look further into this, but i think the DVD drives firmware isnt writeable at this point. But -w does intrest me.

Usage: ./dvdtool [options] [offset] file
-i Inject code into irq handler
-r Read a data block
-w Write a data block
-s Specify size of data block
-b Warez Mode!

Pacote

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
People... DVDTOOL is a open source software that was created like a month ago...

This is just a group that modified the already well known software...

I will try to mount the cable now but i dont quite understand the diode part...

Edit:

PC ---|

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Yeah, this does NOT flash your Wii DVD drive firmware. It does the exact same thing as the current Wii DVD drive mod chips, it just modifies the DVD drives RAM and overwrites certain parts so you can play backups. When you turn the power off you can't play backups again until you run this program again.

andreq

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
now the nice part is where someone could use the current code of this software and port it to a simple PIC .... and we could have "Wiinja v1 alike" hex

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
the pic programmer is only 15-20 bucks new... how how much are pics? and would it even be worth it? i would only want to make a few for my friends, but i would want a 'wiikey (specs) alike'

B

Baghenamoth

It's interesting, I've everything needed here ^^. I'm waiting a little. Is someone able to tell me which one is the concerned pattern ?

Wii_dd_top.jpg

edit: sorry It's like modchips. It's the left one

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
This is just another leak of generally useless "dev" tools and one more reason for the guys in #wiidev to be pissed off. All it's doing is sending the Wiinja type "code" that was released last week directly to the drive via Erant's serial DVD cable. It is not a softmod or a firmware flasher. You have to build the cable, keep the Wii connected to the PC, and run the app every time you want to send an ISO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0