Hacking New Wii with [lu64*] serial number unhackable?

Buhntz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fogbank said:
It would not be possible to install IOS36-64-v1042 over the existing IOS36 v3090 because WAD Manager 1.3 cannot overwrite a newer IOS version without using cIOS

What error message did WAD Manager 1.3 show the last time you tried this? Is there a chance you tried downgrading the IOS used by the System Menu (which in my case is IOS50)? I take your word that it is not possible on your Wii, but rest assured it worked perfectly fine on mine. In fact, I uninstalled my existing cIOS rev 07 just for this purpose, rebooted the Wii, started WAD Manager 1.3 and made sure the message "[+] Custom IOS detected and loaded!" did not show on the WM welcome screen any more (which to me means WM is hanging off Homebrew's default IOS36). I went on installing IOS36-64-v1042.wad over my factory IOS36 v3090 without issue.

I'll stop trolling now, but just wanted to mention that your experience might not be the same for everybody else.

Buhntz

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buhntz said:
fogbank said:
It would not be possible to install IOS36-64-v1042 over the existing IOS36 v3090 because WAD Manager 1.3 cannot overwrite a newer IOS version without using cIOS

What error message did WAD Manager 1.3 show the last time you tried this?

My Wii is on 3.3v1 and has never been downgraded.

Any Wii purchased with 3.4 already installed has no IOS'es with the fakesigning bug. The bug is required to install fakesigned titles. IOS16 is installed because it is officially signed, contains the fakesigning bug, and has never been included in a disc update or online update (until 3/25/2009).

A WAD manager that runs on IOS16 is used to install a fakesigned cIOS to an unused IOS slot (249). IOS16 is not a cIOS so it does not have the ability to overwrite existing IOS'es.

IOS249 is a cIOS and has the ability to install fakesigned titles and overwrite existing IOS'es. It is normally used to run the downgraders and/or any other app used to overwrite newer IOS versions with older fakesign enabled IOS versions.

This has been the case since the 3.3v2 (October 23rd 2008) update.

Some users with LU64+ serial numbers are encountering issues with running apps that use cIOS. They are unable to use the existing apps to overwrite newer IOS versions because the apps become unresponsive.

I don't know what you did on your Wii, but it is apparent that you do not have a Wii that is experiencing the issues described above.

thenewrich

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No idea how it worked but i managed to get my LU645 wii down to version 3.2!... here is my steps exactly...

1. I used the twilight hack to install HBC
2. I did a title Lister posted it here it also included the ios3 so def not a factor
3. I installed ios16 prod
4. I installed a VC game using custom wad manager
5. I played the VC game for a while
6. I installed CIOS_FIX
7. I ran IOS downgrader
8. I ran CIOS Downgrader

Everything said successful no errors whatsoever during the whole process and now i'm on a fully hackable 3.2!

ask any questions i'll try and help

Rich

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thenewrich said:
No idea how it worked but i managed to get my LU645 wii down to version 3.2!... here is my steps exactly...

Rich

Looks like you were lucky and did not get an "unhackable" Wii.

At this time there is still no way of identifying which Wii's will be "unhackable" and which will not. We already know it's not IOS3 (which is now listed on wiibrew.org BTW), and we have not been able to use serial numbers.

shallowater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thenewrich said:
3. I installed ios16 prod

6. I installed CIOS_FIX

Rich

What do you use to install IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad and cIOX_fix? Wad Manager 1.3 or WM custom? or anything else?

thanks

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Still no results for my cIOS installer? I really wanted to help you guys, but when you don't test, i'm totally unable to help.

shallowater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please answer my previous question (see below...)
thanks again

WiiPower said:
Still no results for my cIOS installer? I really wanted to help you guys, but when you don't test, i'm totally unable to help.

shallowater said:
QUOTE(WiiPower @ Mar 30 2009, 07:06 AM) "Guide":
1. put everything in the right place on your sd card
2. Run uii from HBC
- select to load IOS16
- select IOS slot IOS248 with the d-pad
- press A several times
3. insert 1:1 backup disc
4. Run SoftChip
- press '+'
- select IOS248
- press A several times
5. Report back here, if you had problems somewhere, tell which problem and where

Thanks for the guide WiiPower!

One question though: In step 2, how do we run uii from HBC??From you zip files, uii contain a bunch of .C and .H files, and a data folder too. There seem to be no *dol files to run. There are some bin files in the uii/dada folder though, are we supposed to copy those *bin files to the uii folder (instead of uii/data)?

thanks

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shallowater said:
One question though: In step 2, how do we run uii from HBC??From you zip files, uii contain a bunch of .C and .H files, and a data folder too. There seem to be no *dol files to run. There are some bin files in the uii/dada folder though, are we supposed to copy those *bin files to the uii folder (instead of uii/data)?

thanks

There is a boot.dol file in the uii folder (317 KB). All other files are for compiling only. If you don't have the boot.dol file in the uii folder you may want to download and extract the archive again.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a long shot, but...

From the changelog of Waninkoko's new cIOS (rev9):

"- Removed NAND permissions check."

It might be worthwhile to pursue this new cIOS version as the IOS for the other apps. For anyone already "stuck" it would require a WAD version of cIOS rev9 (at this point I presume it would need to be extracted from a NAND dump, packed, and fakesigned). The WAD could be installed to an IOS slot other than 249 using Custom WAD Manager (it still works on these problem Wii's, right?). After that the required apps would need to be recompiled to load the IOS where the rev9 cIOS is installed.

Again it's a long shot, but you never know until you try.

shallowater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fogbank said:
shallowater said:

thanks

There is a boot.dol file in the uii folder (317 KB). All other files are for compiling only. If you don't have the boot.dol file in the uii folder you may want to download and extract the archive again.

errrr....you are right, how did I miss that.

Anyways, put the uii folder in SD/apps and load it, somewhere along the process it showed that it failed to unzip/load "something" automatically, asked to do it manually, I press A and it continue to load it, with OK in the end....

then I load SoftChip from HBC, and it goes black screen...
sleep.gif
Before today I was able to run SoftChip and load original Wii Sport disk with no problem (not the back-up DVD-R disk though). Now after running the uii, could not even run SoftChip...

I must have done something wrong, but not sure. guess I am just not cut for this. Right now, I am going to wait for an official solution that has been tested to work, don't wanna risk bricking my Wii. Let me know if anyone has better luck....

adidas77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shallowater said:
fogbank said:
shallowater said:

thanks

errrr....you are right, how did I miss that.

Anyways, put the uii folder in SD/apps and load it, somewhere along the process it showed that it failed to unzip/load "something" automatically, asked to do it manually, I press A and it continue to load it, with OK in the end....

sleep.gif
Before today I was able to run SoftChip and load original Wii Sport disk with no problem (not the back-up DVD-R disk though). Now after running the uii, could not even run SoftChip...

I must have done something wrong, but not sure. guess I am just not cut for this. Right now, I am going to wait for an official solution that has been tested to work, don't wanna risk bricking my Wii. Let me know if anyone has better luck....

I have the same issue since I used uii, I can't access SoftChip anymore. I think I'll just sell this Wii and get a new one but check the serial number first.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
shallowater said:
sleep.gif

Did you set SoftChip to use IOS249 in the meantime? If yes it's not supposed to work. Delete the SoftChip folder on your sd card and try again.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I officially give up. I can't follow why you have such problems following my instructions. If you looked at you sd card you would have seen a SoftChip folder.

For D.:
SoftChip uses a certain IOS or cIOS to run games with. You can select which IOS to use, and then SoftChip loads it and stores which IOS to use in the config file, which is in the SoftChip folder on your sd card. If you set SoftChip to use IOS249, and SoftChip crashes then, that's because of the fact that you can't use that IOS249 at all. The cIOS installer i made creates a different cIOS, but how do you want to try that if your SoftChip is still set to load IOS249 at startup? - Right, you delete the config file(or just the complete folder) and then select the new cIOS in SoftChip.

I don't care about these Wiis anymore, the new Wiis in the future will have the 4.0 firmware anyways and even if this method or another works, on the new 4.0 Wiis you need something totally different.

shallowater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. put everything in the right place on your sd card
2. Run uii from HBC
- select to load IOS16
- select IOS slot IOS248 with the d-pad
- press A several times
3. insert 1:1 backup disc
4. Run SoftChip
- press '+'
- select IOS248
- press A several times

============

I follow the above instruction word to word and was able to get to step 4. After I pressed + and select 248, the screen shows:

Reading configuration files...using defaults.

Then it just freezes (not black screen), and Wii does not respond as well.

lastFantacy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shallowater said:
Looks like the new Wii on the market with serial number that starts with lu64 cannot be hacked by any hack-package available online...

Confirmed in a couple of recent posts...

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141722
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143413

Guess we'll need to wait for a new hack for new Wii-owner. Good job Nintendo...
mad.gif

I just bought a 3.4U with the same starting serial # and a having the same problem (black screen and all that)....from what I read in this post, there seems to be no working solution for such problem yet (and maybe no solution in the future? since everyone will be using 4.0). Lucky me :-(

However, I do notice that new USB loader just came out. Is it possible that we (the doomed 3.4U with LU64 serial #) use the USB loader without fully hacking our Wii? I mean, HBC installed fine, can we just go ahead and follow the instuction of installing USB loader (for example, in this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349)

Totally newbie and have not too much clue...Many Thanks!

adidas77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lastFantacy said:
shallowater said:
Looks like the new Wii on the market with serial number that starts with lu64 cannot be hacked by any hack-package available online...

Confirmed in a couple of recent posts...

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=141722
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143413

Guess we'll need to wait for a new hack for new Wii-owner. Good job Nintendo...
mad.gif

I just bought a 3.4U with the same starting serial # and a having the same problem (black screen and all that)....from what I read in this post, there seems to be no working solution for such problem yet (and maybe no solution in the future? since everyone will be using 4.0). Lucky me :-(

However, I do notice that new USB loader just came out. Is it possible that we (the doomed 3.4U with LU64 serial #) use the USB loader without fully hacking our Wii? I mean, HBC installed fine, can we just go ahead and follow the instuction of installing USB loader (for example, in this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349)

When did you buy it. If it's under 30 days I would go back to the store and tell that the DVD drive is causing issues or that the drive is really loud when it spins compared to your friends Wii. I had a LU64 and just got back from the store with a new LU63 that I know I can hack, I did 2 of them over the weekend. After spending almost 3 weeks trying a bunch of solutions from the people here, thanks to Fogbank and WiiPower!!, but they are right either you wait for a solution for 4.0 or you bring it back to the store.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lastFantacy said:

If you have gone so far as to install cIOS as IOS249 then I believe the answer will be "no".

The USB Loader requires a new cIOS version (9) that must be installed as IOS249. If you have already installed an older cIOS to that slot (and you truly have an "unackable" Wii) then I don't think you will be able to overwrite it with the newer cIOS.

If you were going to attempt this you would need a WAD version of cIOS v9 and you would have to try installing it with Custom WAD Manager. Again I don't think it will work.

shallowater

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
adidas77 said:
When did you buy it. If it's under 30 days I would go back to the store and tell that the DVD drive is causing issues or that the drive is really loud when it spins compared to your friends Wii. I had a LU64 and just got back from the store with a new LU63 that I know I can hack, I did 2 of them over the weekend. After spending almost 3 weeks trying a bunch of solutions from the people here, thanks to Fogbank and WiiPower!!, but they are right either you wait for a solution for 4.0 or you bring it back to the store.

lucky you. i went out today hoping to find a LU63* (or lower serial #) with no luck. i check over 40 Wiis in 5 stores (BestBuy, Walmart, Gamestop, Kmart, ToysRus), all Wiis have LU64* or LU65* (in fact, more LU65* than LU64*). i am not sure if LU65* is as unhackable as LU64*, but i would assume so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo