New to Wii modding, few questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by androssfox, Jul 30, 2007.

Jul 30, 2007
  1. androssfox
    OP

Newcomer androssfox Member

United States
    I'm looking into ordering a modchip, I'm leaning towards Wiikey (seems cheap enough, I just want it to be able to play Wii games) but I have a few questions.
    Will I be able to play online in current and newer games? New games I buy will also work too, correct? Lastly, does it matter if my Wii is updated? Is there a way to tell what version my Wii is (I forget when I last updated it.)

2. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
    No one knows what the future will bring, but current games work, Wii units that have been updated, as long as they don't use the new chipset, work fine.

3. androssfox
    OP

Newcomer androssfox Member

United States
    Well it's the latest update, I think :/ no prompts to update when I go to VC. But It's a launch Wii.

Oh, and does anyone suggest anything other than a wiikey? I kinda just want something cheap that can play new/old wii games (Some games would be Japanese - is that a problem?)>_> I have all the GCN games I want.

And I guess if anyone has any noob guides as to what programs I should get/how to get backups to work. I know where to find them and what to burn them and stuff, but nothing else when it comes to brickblocking/etc.

4. ImperialX

Member ImperialX GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    If you're going to play JAP Backups you should probably see this. IT might save you from Bricking.

5. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    http://www.atvgc.com/shop/details.php?id=15

I'd recommend using an OpenWii chip, but that's my personal preference. It's upgradeable by DVD, and actually has updates coming out. This would help, though not necessarily guarantee, your worries about the future. WiiKey's updates are still in question I think. You can get the chip itself cheap at the above site, plus the Triwing screwdriver if you need it. Then all you need is wire and a $0.69 28-pin IC socket to the put the chip in. They're cheap, available everywhere.

I've got a launch Wii, with the above chip -- both the Wii and the chip have the newest updates -- everything works fine except I won't try PAL games for fear of bricking my Wii. But NTSC-J games work fine.

6. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Wait wait wait.

So my wii's not a launch wii but I got it in may so what would happen?