Hacking New to Wii modding, few questions

androssfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking into ordering a modchip, I'm leaning towards Wiikey (seems cheap enough, I just want it to be able to play Wii games) but I have a few questions.
Will I be able to play online in current and newer games? New games I buy will also work too, correct? Lastly, does it matter if my Wii is updated? Is there a way to tell what version my Wii is (I forget when I last updated it.)

androssfox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's the latest update, I think :/ no prompts to update when I go to VC. But It's a launch Wii.

Oh, and does anyone suggest anything other than a wiikey? I kinda just want something cheap that can play new/old wii games (Some games would be Japanese - is that a problem?)>_> I have all the GCN games I want.

And I guess if anyone has any noob guides as to what programs I should get/how to get backups to work. I know where to find them and what to burn them and stuff, but nothing else when it comes to brickblocking/etc.

ImperialX

Trophies
XP
Country
Well it's the latest update, I think :/ no prompts to update when I go to VC. But It's a launch Wii.

Oh, and does anyone suggest anything other than a wiikey? I kinda just want something cheap that can play new/old wii games (Some games would be Japanese -Â is that a problem?)>_> I have all the GCN games I want.

And I guess if anyone has any noob guides as to what programs I should get/how to get backups to work. I know where to find them and what to burn them and stuff, but nothing else when it comes to brickblocking/etc.

If you're going to play JAP Backups you should probably see this. IT might save you from Bricking.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.atvgc.com/shop/details.php?id=15

I'd recommend using an OpenWii chip, but that's my personal preference. It's upgradeable by DVD, and actually has updates coming out. This would help, though not necessarily guarantee, your worries about the future. WiiKey's updates are still in question I think. You can get the chip itself cheap at the above site, plus the Triwing screwdriver if you need it. Then all you need is wire and a $0.69 28-pin IC socket to the put the chip in. They're cheap, available everywhere.

I've got a launch Wii, with the above chip -- both the Wii and the chip have the newest updates -- everything works fine except I won't try PAL games for fear of bricking my Wii. But NTSC-J games work fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1