New to Hacking Switch, need someone to explain this to me like I'm 5 on updating firmware to actually play games

cewong2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got an iPatched Switch on 4.1.0 I followed switch homebrew guide and got it to Hekate and can launch Atmosphere. I couldn't do the fake news injection because all I would get is a white screen when following the directions so I just skipped that and just went directly into Caffeine. I also backed up and dumped a copy of the nand and the keys onto my computer as the guide suggested. Now I'm confused.

I don't plan on going online with this switch, as basically I read that if you do you get banned so there's no real point to go online with it, and all I plan to do is play 1st person games, RPGS, etc, not really any multiplayer games, maybe I might do Animal Crossing, but then I would only do local connections with my unhooked switch. I downloaded the firmware from Darth, but I'm not sure if that's correct and I read that I should use daybreak to update.

Now this is where I'm confused... Exactly which one do I go into to update the firmware? I need to keep the stock firmware at 4.1.0 so that I can get back into CFW. But there are 4 options in Hekate: CFW (sysNAND), CFW (emuNAND), Stock, Fusee. Logically I would assume that Sysnand is the same as stock with atmosphere injected into it, so if I were to update then I would no longer be able to get into CFW... but when I go into emuMMC it doesn't see the SD Card at all, and I can't see any home-brew either. so I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to do and I can't find any answers this this, I've searched the mighty internet and have gotten vague, and/or contradicting answers. Could someone explain exactly what the 2 CFW nands are and are they actually separate from stock?

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But there are 4 options in Hekate: CFW (sysNAND), CFW (emuNAND), Stock, Fusee. Logically I would assume that Sysnand is the same as stock with atmosphere injected into it, so if I were to update then I would no longer be able to get into CFW
Right, sysnand / stock is the hardware emmc chip in your switch,
you don‘t want to update sysnand.
Don‘t ever go online with it, unless you block Nintendo ips.

Did you finish the guide and created an emuNAND?
https://switch.homebrew.guide/emummc/emummc

You can follow the guide and choose 29GB to be save.
Although I am quite sure you can create a smaller emuNand
like 16GB in size…
All your saves get stored there.
Games should be installed to SD card.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got an iPatched Switch on 4.1.0 I followed switch homebrew guide and got it to Hekate and can launch Atmosphere. I couldn't do the fake news injection because all I would get is a white screen when following the directions so I just skipped that and just went directly into Caffeine. I also backed up and dumped a copy of the nand and the keys onto my computer as the guide suggested. Now I'm confused.

I don't plan on going online with this switch, as basically I read that if you do you get banned so there's no real point to go online with it, and all I plan to do is play 1st person games, RPGS, etc, not really any multiplayer games, maybe I might do Animal Crossing, but then I would only do local connections with my unhooked switch. I downloaded the firmware from Darth, but I'm not sure if that's correct and I read that I should use daybreak to update.

Now this is where I'm confused... Exactly which one do I go into to update the firmware? I need to keep the stock firmware at 4.1.0 so that I can get back into CFW. But there are 4 options in Hekate: CFW (sysNAND), CFW (emuNAND), Stock, Fusee. Logically I would assume that Sysnand is the same as stock with atmosphere injected into it, so if I were to update then I would no longer be able to get into CFW... but when I go into emuMMC it doesn't see the SD Card at all, and I can't see any home-brew either. so I'm confused as to what I'm supposed to do and I can't find any answers this this, I've searched the mighty internet and have gotten vague, and/or contradicting answers. Could someone explain exactly what the 2 CFW nands are and are they actually separate from stock?

1. CFW (SysNAND) is Custom FirmWare on the system nand.
  2. CFW (EmuNAND) is Custom FirmWare on an emulated nand.
  3. Fusee is also Custom FirmWare on an emulated nand (just a different way to load it)
  4. Stock is OFW or Official FirmWare
You want to upgrade #2 using daybreak.nro but just double check in System Setting that thenFirmware version looks like this:
15.0.1 | AMS 1.4.0E

Specifically look to make sure it ends with (E)munand instead of (S)ysnand. If that’s the case, fire away!

cewong2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, sysnand / stock is the hardware emmc chip in your switch,
you don‘t want to update sysnand.
Don‘t ever go online with it, unless you block Nintendo ips.

Did you finish the guide and created an emuNAND?
[I can't post links so I removed it]

You can follow the guide and choose 29GB to be save.
Although I am quite sure you can create a smaller emuNand
like 16GB in size…
All your saves get stored there.
Games should be installed to SD card.
ok so don't touch sys.

so I can update the firmware on emummc and it can be the latest version of the switch firmware? I did create an emuMMC, but I'm in the processes of doing it again, because I keep getting an SD card read error, so I formatted the card again and starting from scratch.

I don't mind doing the full 29GB, I have a 256gb card right now.
Post automatically merged:

1. CFW (SysNAND) is Custom FirmWare on the system nand.
  2. CFW (EmuNAND) is Custom FirmWare on an emulated nand.
  3. Fusee is also Custom FirmWare on an emulated nand (just a different way to load it)
  4. Stock is OFW or Official FirmWare
You want to upgrade #2 using daybreak.nro but just double check in System Setting that thenFirmware version looks like this:
15.0.1 | AMS 1.4.0E

Specifically look to make sure it ends with (E)munand instead of (S)ysnand. If that’s the case, fire away!
ok so I load into EmuMMC and then load daybreak and the switch firmware file and I will still officially be on 4.1.0 for stock but latest for emuMMC?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so I load into EmuMMC and then load daybreak and the switch firmware file and I will still officially be on 4.1.0 for stock but latest for emuMMC?
Daybreak comes with Atmosphere so if you open Album you will see it.

You might have to hold down (R)ight shoulder button when you select Album to see hbmenu. It’s been a while since I’ve had vanilla anything running.

cewong2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, but always look into system settings that theres an E at
the end of your firmware beforehand.

Maybe better check your SD card with h2testw before continuing.
Thank you! I was able to get my SD card to work, I never formatted it when I bought it, so I made sure to do a full reformat.
One other question, is there a way to get FakeNews to work on a patched 4.1.0? I had followed the guide, but I kept getting a white screen when I did HBMenu and going to album. Or is it only for unpatched switches?

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One other question, is there a way to get FakeNews to work on a patched 4.1.0? I had followed the guide, but I kept getting a white screen when I did HBMenu and going to album. Or is it only for unpatched switches?
Sorry, I can’t help with this, don‘t have an ipatched switch.
In the guide it says reboot and try again(?)

Good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.