ROM Hack New super mario bros deluxe!

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
(sorry for doublepost, but I got some important news)
So yeah, after finding out that some people still care for this hack (dunno if someone here too :P), I decided to continue it.

I first planned to have custom areas that will hold the starcoins for every level. Now it seems that its too much work, and given how interest for this has dwindle, I decided to do some modifications to the plans.

First problem I saw with these custom levels is that it was an alternate route, since you could skip the original levels and you will be playing a new hack instead of the remake (if you wanted the starcoins).

Given that creating extra areas for the 8 world (its too much), and with the problem above, I have decided the following:

-Instead of the custom bonus areas for all worlds, I will only do the extras areas up to world 5.

This will be easy to accomplish, since I already have the first 3 worlds with extra areas (they just need polishing), and i have some levels in world 4 and 5 with extra areas. Plus, the latter levels are more complex than the first ones, so I can place the starcoins in some fun ways, and you get to play the original levels.

As for the loop sprites, I didnt managed to get them working, so I will use the warp sprites instead.

I want to finish this. Its ridiculous how much time I have dragged it.

So yeah. This will see a release. Im working on it now.

I will post a video of world 8 soon :)

ByteMunch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking forward to release, but take as much time as you need to! A great hack that took a long time is better than a rushed mediocre hack. :)

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
@ByteMunch. yeah. I will do that. At this state it wont take that much time :) I promise.
So I had to implement the 2D lava since the lava in NSMB is not that freely to control
The pic:
lavakv.png

I had to go with the 2D lava rather than the in game one, because the in game one spans over all the level, and you cant segment it, making some areas in the original SMB levels difficult and I can put them exactly in place as their original levels now.

Also, the castle ? blocks and bricks will be grey now. I found out how to edit the overlay to change the palette, and a grey color for the bricks will look better.
(still unsure about the statement above)

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Hey dude, why don't you cut the lava? (in segments, while being animated)
As same as on the Wii^^

Eidt.\ You can also change the lava opacity!

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played this hack, and completed everything up to world 3, when it freezes.
This is a good hack, and I hope it gets finished.

@[member='gridatttack'], I would switch the parts where is water and you die while jumping to, to empty areas.
The gameplay of Mario changed a bit with these many years, mading necessary some changes to adapt these old games to the gameplay of the new series

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Hey dude, why don't you cut the lava? (in segments, while being animated)
As same as on the Wii^^

Eidt.\ You can also change the lava opacity!

I would do that, but the lava sprite in NSMBDS is not possible to segment it :(
Same as the water and poison water. They get spanned all over the level. :S
So I had to leave that option out :(

I played this hack, and completed everything up to world 3, when it freezes.
This is a good hack, and I hope it gets finished.

@[member='gridatttack'], I would switch the parts where is water and you die while jumping to, to empty areas.
The gameplay of Mario changed a bit with these many years, mading necessary some changes to adapt these old games to the gameplay of the new series

This is something i had to struggle with in a start. Super Mario allstars does the same. The water is not interact-able. Still, I don't know if people would fall for it, but on some parts you can wall-jump out (and then people will notice its not swimable).
The water was one of the things that got removed in some of the the allstars levels, and I would prefer to leave it there, since it serves for more visual aid in the levels. Also, the only swimable water people may have seen in NSMB is the one that covers all the level, not the unused one.

SKJmin

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
gridatttack said:
I would do that, but the lava sprite in NSMBDS is not possible to segment it :(
Same as the water and poison water. They get spanned all over the level. :S
So I had to leave that option out :(

No it works! There is a sprite for it...
When I was testing some things I found this out, same with the half visible lava (see my trailer)
The cut lava looks very ugly to be honest because it is still aniomated while cut in segments.

I personally made a reamke of 1-4 (SMB1), but with FULL lava, it just looks better...

Eidt:\ Throw me your MSN or Skype, we can talk there, I won't give my secrets to all!

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is something i had to struggle with in a start. Super Mario allstars does the same. The water is not interact-able. Still, I don't know if people would fall for it, but on some parts you can wall-jump out (and then people will notice its not swimable).
The water was one of the things that got removed in some of the the allstars levels, and I would prefer to leave it there, since it serves for more visual aid in the levels. Also, the only swimable water people may have seen in NSMB is the one that covers all the level, not the unused one.

People are complaining about the Lava,
and I'm complaining about the water because, frankly, it looks ugly as hell.

Your hack is interesting, and could become outstanding, but a good look is essencial.

The water is a lot different in New Series,
it's usable for swin or run in it as a mini-mario.

The water and lava the way they are in this hack, doesn't fit well in the game.

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador

People are complaining about the Lava,
and I'm complaining about the water because, frankly, it looks ugly as hell.

Your hack is interesting, and could become outstanding, but a good look is essencial.

The water is a lot different in New Series,
it's usable for swin or run in it as a mini-mario.

The water and lava the way they are in this hack, doesn't fit well in the game.

I could remove the lava at all, and put in the unused NSMB lava, or the actual lava if it can be segmented. Plus, this 2D lava will kill you.

However, I wont remove the water. (I can create a new style for it, but it wouldn't be animated and I cant use the unused 2D water because it has a transparent effect)
It looks ugly because its pillowshaded, and I get what you mean that the water is used for that in the new series, but considering, the levels that this hack will have doesn't take in account that use, because its in a SMB style for level design. The water sprite is as far as the completed areas are, is only used in 2 levels.

The problem is, grabbing a mini mushroom is a double edged sword here. Its viewed as a hazard (like the poison mushroom) or as an aider as it makes some levels easy. Using the actual swimable water will allow some levels to be skipped by just swimming. I dont want to remove it because it will look empty, and I want to make the levels looks as closely as the original games. SMAS failed at some part there.

Also, the water is being used here is like the original SMB, not NSMB. Its just part of the background, and the levels are made using this. So if it looks that ugly, I could try to reshade it. :)

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
I managed to get the loops sprite to work with the world 4 tower; 4-4 of the original super mario bros which used the loop feature.

However, as you see, the sprite doesnt work well with the level design of super mario bros, which is why some blocks disappear, but its better than using the warp sprites.

Now the challenge is to get the other levels that use the loop feature to work, since the level layout is more complex. Ill do my best to get them working. :)

See annotations for more.

(BTW, does anyone knows how to embed youtube videos here?)

SKJmin

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
(BTW, does anyone knows how to embed youtube videos here?)
Just add the main link, the auto converter should fix it!

If not add this (without the stars):
[media*][media]Youtubelink (adressbar)[/media][/media*]

PS: Your link is the short code for your link, that's why it hasn't worked! You must use the youtube link from the adressbar1

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Just add the main link, the auto converter should fix it!

If not add this (without the stars):
[media*][media]Youtubelink (adressbar)[/media][/media*]

PS: Your link is the short code for your link, that's why it hasn't worked! You must use the youtube link from the adressbar1

Thanks! I got it to work :D
Here is the video:

Also, I got world 3 castle; 3-4 of lost levels to have working loop sprites. I will do the rest of the levesl ASAP :)

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
New map icons:
dxB2H.png

As you can see, the games only have 2 themes for the most part. The grassland and winter theme. So I did and went to apply the themes to the icons.

I must say, im not too happy with world 4, since its supposed to be a valley, but it has some levels with hills, so I added some low hills, and extra space. Other option was to just have the field barren with grass.

World 6 is pipe world in both games, since it has levels with lots of pipes. At first, I tired to do smaller pipes, but it wont do. I cant make small pipes, so for now, its a smb3 over world pipe.

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
So if anyone noticed in the previous post of new world map icons, I have beginning to change the worlds too to actually match the world icons.
Here is the new world 2:
lxzLP.png

(BTW, some feedback would be appreciated, I dont want to continue posting in succession :P )

gridatttack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
It looks great , do you have an estimated release date ? :)

I dont want to make the same mistake I did 3 years ago, but I can tell you that it will be soon ;)

BTW, here is a new video! World 8 part 1. They are still some odd things, but I have fixed them now!
As you see, the loop sprites work, but they have a problem that they reset the sprites, so that's why the firebars disappear at world 8 castle if you go to the wrong path. Still I managed to get the loop sprites working.
(and BTW, world 8 castle is really hard ;) )

Dirbaio

Trophies
Website
dirbaio.net
XP
Country
The bro gives you a mega mushroom?
Even I have never seen this...
Yes it does. It's random. I think it depends on some flag in the level header or the bro sprite yet to be discovered.
The flying red ? block sprites have a sprite data flag that tells if it's possible or not to get mega-mushroom from it.

SKJmin

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
The bro gives you a mega mushroom?
Even I have never seen this...
Yes it does. It's random. I think it depends on some flag in the level header or the bro sprite yet to be discovered.
The flying red ? block sprites have a sprite data flag that tells if it's possible or not to get mega-mushroom from it.
I tested those bros so many times, but I never got a mega mushroom... we learn a new thing everyday :D
I saw the MEGA-MUSHROOM on the ?-red block (even beta tested to avoid bugs) but the bro is new for me :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: