chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Question for those who already have the game:
Is it longer than 3D Land and NSMB DS?
3D Land was quite short sadly, you could get a load of lives as well.
Not saying that a whole load of lives is bad but the DS version was pretty tough for me.

Let's face it: the reason why I dislike NSMB DS is that the levels are super tedious and very little lives.

The game is about 330MB if I'm correct, which makes it wayyyyyy bigger than the original NSMB DS.

I ordered this game and will be collecting it tomorrow. I sure hope that $79 will be worth it.
But it's Mario.
That's pretty big, but you paid $80? Yikes. I paid half that for an eShop version.
Its a Japanese copy (Gold box), plus it was only launched for... 2 weeks?

S$80 is a bit on the expensive side for a Japanese game, that's why I hope this game is worth and doesn't make me go crazy like NSMB DS.
Every region has the gold box, why get the Japanese version?
Really? Didn't know that.

The main reason isn't the box. I edited the post with my main reason.

I COULD have went digital, but meh.

I had quite a bad experience with the DS prequel so I'm not taking much chances.

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The game is about 330MB if I'm correct, which makes it wayyyyyy bigger than the original NSMB DS.

I ordered this game and will be collecting it tomorrow. I sure hope that $79 will be worth it.
But it's Mario.
Its even bigger than 3d land (307MB) which is really surprising.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
US versions here are reported having regular white boxes. And no reversible covers.
Well I suppose when you pay the cheapest price, you get the cheapest box. (The box is gold for JPN and PAL regions)
You can nab a copy at approx $36. So that explains the regular white boxes. Haha

Reactions: 2 people

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Just watched some videos about the game.

Looks much less tedious than NSMB which is simply AMAZING.
I think it's largely due to that tanooki tail (no more suit, thank you PETA)

More lives than NSMB too.

But just 6 main worlds? That's quite little Ninty. Even 3D Land had 10 (including the special ones)

Please don't sell a world for $3.99 via DLC. PLEASE.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, raise of hand. Who here isn't actually interested in this Mario game?

answer-boy.gif

I may get it for the kids at work to play, but other then that, I've lost interest in Mario platformers sense New Super Mario Bros. I know I'm the odd man out here though, but ever sense NSMB... well... In my opinion, it sucked... Sometimes, the selling point of "retro" means "worse the Super Mario Bros 3". Don't flame, this is all just an opinion of mine! I think I have too much sentimental value for SMB3, but.. well, yeah. Even so, those who are getting the game, enjoy.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Just watched some videos about the game.

Looks much less tedious than NSMB which is simply AMAZING.
I think it's largely due to that tanooki tail (no more suit, thank you PETA)

More lives than NSMB too.

But just 6 main worlds? That's quite little Ninty. Even 3D Land had 10 (including the special ones)

Please don't sell a world for $3.99 via DLC. PLEASE.

SMB3 had the leaf which just gave you ears and a tail, then the suit which also let you turn into s statue. SMDL did it differently.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I may get it for the kids at work to play, but other then that, I've lost interest in Mario platformers sense New Super Mario Bros. I know I'm the odd man out here though, but ever sense NSMB... well... In my opinion, it sucked... Sometimes, the selling point of "retro" means "worse the Super Mario Bros 3". Don't flame, this is all just an opinion of mine! I think I have too much sentimental value for SMB3, but.. well, yeah. Even so, those who are getting the game, enjoy.
I hated NSMB too actually. It was tedious, no way to win no matter how many times you've lost and finding the star coins were a massive chore.

As I've not played the Wii version, NSMB2 does interest me some bit. It seems less tedious. Hopefully you don't need to find anymore star coins to unlock compulsory locations. Star coins in 3D Land were fun to find, but not so on a 2D platformer.

I love the fact that your star coins won't be used up to unlock say, a toad house, in SM3DL. I hope this element stays in NSMB2.

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hated NSMB too actually. It was tedious, no way to win no matter how many times you've lost and finding the star coins were a massive chore.

As I've not played the Wii version, NSMB2 does interest me some bit. It seems less tedious. Hopefully you don't need to find anymore star coins to unlock compulsory locations. Star coins in 3D Land were fun to find, but not so on a 2D platformer.

I love the fact that your star coins won't be used up to unlock say, a toad house, in SM3DL. I hope this element stays in NSMB2.

I too hated nsmb and I still don't understand why anyone liked it. It was way too easy and tedious. Strangely enough... I loved NSMB wii. It was a lot more challenging, the levels were insane, and multiplayer was hilarious. I'm hoping that the new one will be great, but I don't have high expectations. A lot of coins= way too many lives

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

I too hated nsmb and I still don't understand why anyone liked it. It was way too easy and tedious. Strangely enough... I loved NSMB wii. It was a lot more challenging, the levels were insane, and multiplayer was hilarious. I'm hoping that the new one will be great, but I don't have high expectations. A lot of coins= way too many lives
There is no online multiplayer for NSMB2. That makes me wonder why they added the "Nintendo Network" logo. DLC?

But still, this game looks pretty nice. Looks less tedious and very colorful.

EDIT:
Has anyone tried local coop on two different region consoles? Is it region locked in this aspect?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
So I've had my fill of the game already this morning, and I am enjoying it, a lot.

I already found the secret exit on the first fortress, and found a great trick already.
If you grab all the red coins on the 1-Cannon level, you'll be rewarded a Gold Flower, put straight into your item slot.

You can take the Gold Flower to level 1-2 and with the sheer abundance of blocks and Koopas, you'll make a killing in coins.
You can even go down a pipe to go to another area, then go back to the main path and enemies will respawn. There's this one gathering of Koopa Troopas just to the left of the last exit pipe and they can be defeat over and over again.
I made over 1300 coins in a single level! Could've got more but I took damage, I had plenty of time left on the clock.
Awesome! But you might want to put that in spoiler tags... Since it contains some in-depth info. ;)

If you're going to point out something that you think aught to be in spoiler tags, you might want to spoiler it up yourself in the quote!

It has been incredibly difficult making this post while trying NOT to read what I'm spoilering. I hope I didn't spolier the wrong part!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's not, in NSMB2 it uses up your star coins
Just seen some of streetpassdubai's videos... yup it's used :(

And the game won't save after every level.

I just hope local co-op isn't region locked.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can quick save though. But you have to remember to do that before you quit, I didn't realise when I first played it(you don't expect a game not to have an auto save feature, especially a Mario game after SM3DL), and I had to replay the first few levels again.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

You can quick save though. But you have to remember to do that before you quit, I didn't realise when I first played it(you don't expect a game not to have an auto save feature, especially a Mario game after SM3DL), and I had to replay the first few levels again.
That's kinda stupid. Lol.

Hopefully they'll release a patch for autosave since it's logical.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wut?