New Sony patent hints at a possible PlayStation mobile gaming controller

longshock.png

A new patent published by Sony Interactive Japan hints at the company possibly trying to make a bigger foray into the mobile gaming market. The document, which was discovered by VGC, shows a depiction of a DualShock 4 controller, but with an elongated center where the touchpad normally would be. Presumably, you would place the phone into the controller, much like with other popular mobile gamepads, such as the Razer Kishi or GameSir X2. This would be in line with Sony's previous statement from May 2021, where CEO Jim Ryan claimed iconic Sony IPs would be headed to mobile platforms in 2022, and with the company's hiring of the former head of Apple Arcade. As this is just a patent, things can change before any official release, if the device ever gets to that point in development.

:arrow: Source

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These will always be the funnest phone accessories imo until we can fully control a phone through just the controller

Like if I’m in the middle of a game and get a text/email you gotta than put the phone back in landscape mode and try and use it awkwardly with the controllers on either side, or disconnect the controller to do what you gotta do, and than set it back up.

Way too much hassle.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
These will always be the funnest phone accessories imo until we can fully control a phone through just the controller

Like if I’m in the middle of a game and get a text/email you gotta than put the phone back in landscape mode and try and use it awkwardly with the controllers on either side, or disconnect the controller to do what you gotta do, and than set it back up.

Way too much hassle.
Wait, I'm confused. "Put the phone back in landscape mode," you game in portrait mode? Wait, you can't game in portrait mode with this controller, it forces you into landscape mode.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Maybe it is an enhanced version of the touchpad, that, you know, everybody uses a lot and love to death.

Now being realistic here, they are securing the patent before someone does something similar to those ipega things with PlayStation looks. For me this do not mean that Sony will make a huge effort on mobile (and obviously it do not rule it out either).

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Thanks. I wish they would develop next Sony Vita Successor. Not a mobile!
Why would sony do another handheld console when both the psp and vita didn't do that well.

But the gates are open for the nintendo fanboys to start ranting ohh they're copying nintendo again...... like nintendo invented the idea of a tablet playing games.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would sony do another handheld console when both the psp and vita didn't do that well.

But the gates are open for the nintendo fanboys to start ranting ohh they're copying nintendo again...... like nintendo invented the idea of a tablet playing games.
Actually, PSP was doing very well but Vita didn't. So they could improvement what Vita doesn't do that well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1