Hacking New Snoopy R4 card 2014

Alan P

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello

I recently purchased a New Snoopy R4 card 2014 SDHC Real Time Save (Red card with snoopy in top left, done all the checks and it looks genuine).

This was following the old R4i card I had becoming blocked.

I have a few questions, I am techie so don't get that confused with IT and jargon, but am a little new to all this ROMS, KERNELS, etc.

I have downloaded the latest kernel software from a website for my card and loaded all the required folders on the 2GB Micro SanDisk card (This was not bought with the R4 card, I already had this from an old card, it has been formatted prior to the new card, using the Panasonic formatter software I downloaded after reading recommendations about not using a windows formatter to clear the card down).

My questions are as follows..

1. Some of the ROMS I am trying to load seem to freeze after the create save file menu appears. In fact it seems to be 50% of the ROMS I have just crash as I load them? Is this something I am doing wrong? I have just loaded the .NDS files onto the Micro SD card.

2. Do the ROMS have to be a certain size (I am assuming not as some that do and don't work are the same size, so I could not see any consistency on this?).

3. Is there a particular site I should get the ROMs from as I have downloaded from several sites and cant tell if I have some bad ROMS and some good ones as cant remember which ROM was from which site?

4. Was I right in reading somewhere that the Snoopy card should be able to play 3DS games at some stage in the future?

5. How do I ensure this Snoopy card does not get blocked? Is there a failsafe I have to make sure this does not happen again?

6. Is a 2GB SanDisk Micro SD card big enough, is this the problem? (although I have taken of 80% of the games to leave lots of space on the card and still had crashing problems, so this idea did not work).

Any help and answers to this would be great as I thought the Snoopy card was going to be great and all I have had is issues with ROMS crashing randomly. Only thing I do know, is that its the same ROMS each time the load and fail accordingly, so does look to be the ROMS (for some reason and more annoyingly, all my favourite Mario games are the crashers, amongst others!)

Thanks again for any help anyone can give me.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I've ordered one of these cards. You can't link to ROMs here, but there really aren't many bad ones out there. Please tell me which games you are having trouble with, and what region they were from. As for number 4, yes, this should be possible; we just have to wait for someone to release a loader, or even just a patch for the Gateway loader that uses the SD slot rather than a cartridge.

This card generally isn't a mainstream one and is likely to have problems. As I said earlier, if you are more specific on the games that you are having trouble with, I'll see if there is a way of running them once my card arrives, though I really only bought mine for 3DS homebrew.

Also your name makes me think of:

Alan P

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hahahaha, funny about the name.

It was the Mario ROMS I had downloaded, they were duffers. I downloaded them from another website and they were fine so its not the snoopy card, all good!

I am looking forward to when this 3DS homebrew is available, just a waiting game then? Do we have any rough ideas?

Reactions: YoshiInAVoid

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah another pirate super excited about "homebrew" on the 3ds! Just shut up already.

Then why are you here?
GBAtemp is an underground community dedicated to (first and foremost) handheld gaming, modding and homebrew. Along with that usually comes talks of piracy and other warez.

Reactions: Luigi2012SM64DS

Rezatron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello

I recently purchased a New Snoopy R4 card 2014 SDHC Real Time Save (Red card with snoopy in top left, done all the checks and it looks genuine).

This was following the old R4i card I had becoming blocked.

I have a few questions, I am techie so don't get that confused with IT and jargon, but am a little new to all this ROMS, KERNELS, etc.

I have downloaded the latest kernel software from a website for my card and loaded all the required folders on the 2GB Micro SanDisk card (This was not bought with the R4 card, I already had this from an old card, it has been formatted prior to the new card, using the Panasonic formatter software I downloaded after reading recommendations about not using a windows formatter to clear the card down).

My questions are as follows..

1. Some of the ROMS I am trying to load seem to freeze after the create save file menu appears. In fact it seems to be 50% of the ROMS I have just crash as I load them? Is this something I am doing wrong? I have just loaded the .NDS files onto the Micro SD card.

2. Do the ROMS have to be a certain size (I am assuming not as some that do and don't work are the same size, so I could not see any consistency on this?).

3. Is there a particular site I should get the ROMs from as I have downloaded from several sites and cant tell if I have some bad ROMS and some good ones as cant remember which ROM was from which site?

4. Was I right in reading somewhere that the Snoopy card should be able to play 3DS games at some stage in the future?

5. How do I ensure this Snoopy card does not get blocked? Is there a failsafe I have to make sure this does not happen again?

6. Is a 2GB SanDisk Micro SD card big enough, is this the problem? (although I have taken of 80% of the games to leave lots of space on the card and still had crashing problems, so this idea did not work).

Any help and answers to this would be great as I thought the Snoopy card was going to be great and all I have had is issues with ROMS crashing randomly. Only thing I do know, is that its the same ROMS each time the load and fail accordingly, so does look to be the ROMS (for some reason and more annoyingly, all my favourite Mario games are the crashers, amongst others!)

Thanks again for any help anyone can give me.

1. You said you formatted your microSD with the Panasonic formatter prior to the new card. In between R4 cards did you format the card again or at least delete the old kernel files for the previous R4 card? Did you do a FULL overwrite with size adjustment set to 'on' in the options? You have a small card so if the memory is right full the games could freeze on boot due not having enough room for save file creation.

2. No

3. You can do a CRC check of the rom files with the tool below but this shouldn't be an issue

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/r...ds-scene-rom-tool-v1-0-build-1205-f25536.html

4. No this is a DS-mode only card

5. Currently it works with the latest 7.1.0-15 2DS/3DS firmware. Do not update your system in the future or at least wait for a update for the card, update the card first and only then update the system (as you need to be able to boot into the menu to update the card). If you have a DSi this isn't an issue as DSi update 1.4.5 seems to be the last firmware update released for it and original DS/Lite systems do not have firmware updates.

6. The size is OK but you could try another microSD to rule it out as a problem if nothing else works.

Finally, you can try dual-booting with RGF's kernel at the link below. The snoopy card (and all other 2014 cards from this maker) seems to use the same kernel as the one at www.r4i-sdhc.com so use the kernel in that folder and follow the instructions:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
hahahaha, funny about the name.

It was the Mario ROMS I had downloaded, they were duffers. I downloaded them from another website and they were fine so its not the snoopy card, all good!

I am looking forward to when this 3DS homebrew is available, just a waiting game then? Do we have any rough ideas?
Glad you were able to get the card working. I wrote a review for it today:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/r4isdhc-com-ds-flashcard-review.361928/

If you come across a ROM that does not work, please PM me so that I can add it to the review.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guessing the R4 clones are running out of creative names.
Waiting for the R4 Super Luigi Bronze updated Quad Core Super Gamers edition. Now supports 1.3!

As a side note please do not buy R4's in the future. The original R4 company died a long time ago and now there are just crappy clones.
Also, You can avoid getting blocked by updating the cart firmware (that is if you can before the card loses support or never gets support in the first place) or just not updating the frimware on your DS.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guessing the R4 clones are running out of creative names.
Waiting for the R4 Super Luigi Bronze updated Quad Core Super Gamers edition. Now supports 1.3!

As a side note please do not buy R4's in the future. The original R4 company died a long time ago and now there are just crappy clones.
Also, You can avoid getting blocked by updating the cart firmware (that is if you can before the card loses support or never gets support in the first place) or just not updating the frimware on your DS.

"Do not buy R4's in the future" isn't great advice, there are a few R4's which are still recommended as reliable cards even on the most up to date 3DS consoles. This, unfortunately, is not one of them, however the one from r4ids.cn is still quite heavily supported. I'd personally always recommend the Supercard DSTWO but that tends to fall a bit out of most people's price ranges.

The card works for now and that's all that matters. However, OP, do expect that the manufacturer will drop support for your card in the future rendering it inoperable on newer 3DS system menu versions.

Reactions: YoshiInAVoid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: