New Review - R4 DS

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
just create a folder for each rom, that way each rom and its save is in a seperate folder and tidy
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you mentioned that earlier and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Pretty neat and organized I'd say.

ROOT
>Games
>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.nds
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.sav
>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.nds
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.sav

Definitely works for me.
biggrin.gif
Do you have the 'Shell' folder?

Can we delete it?

BTW i tried to make it a hidden folder, but not wrking

The shell folder is used by moonshell, so keep it. In the newer versions of moonshell, its named /moonshl.
Update to the latest ver 1.05, the folders / .sav etc files will be hidden by default. Press 'select' to show them or to hide them again.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have the 'Shell' folder?

Can we delete it?

BTW i tried to make it a hidden folder, but not wrking
Setting the folder to the hidden attribute doesn't do a thing in the R4 menu
tongue.gif
In moonshell (assuming you've got it set up in the options, which I think it is by default) it won't show any hidden folders. Although, with the 1.05 firmware, the shell folder (or moonshl) as well as the system files (moonshell nds, menu.dat) are all hidden with select as KM said.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh thx Killermech & Katalyst
smile.gif

And also iF i'M Not using moonshell, can i delete the 'shell' folder?
Sure, but that renders your multimedia button useless. Unless of course you put in another .nds and name it "_DS_MSHL.NDS" Then it'll boot whatever that nds is.

tehcamel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u can delete the shell folder and _ds_mshl.nds

if u try to load it from the main menu it will give u an error. if u rename one of ur favorite homebrew apps to _ds_mshl.nds and throw it on your microsd, that app will load from the multimedia icon on the main menu.

kiscyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i've read someone's comment on your review and came to register an account. about to read that superb review before buying that card

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SpaceJump said:
Great review as usual. I only have one question which I think wasn't answered in the review: How are saves handled? Are they temporarily put into a SRAM/EEPROM and then transferred to MicroSD on next boot? Or are saves directly written to MicroSD?

It writes to the card directly.
I saved in the game, turned it off and replaced the sav file with another one (same game, different time). In theory, now when I would boot up, the save from the SRAM/EEPROM should overwrite this file, making it the new sav file. But it didn't, instead the save from the point I saved in the replaced save file loaded.

bwfc0907

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys I'm new to all this so sorry for the poor questions. Have read through the thread but need these answering in simple mans terms

Fantastic Site and Great Review.

1) Both me and my daughter have a DS Lite. If we both had an R4 and installed a copy of Mario Kart would we be able to play against each other. I understand the download feature where only 1 of us has the original, i.e. Super Mario doesn't work, but can we actually play against each other R4 vs R4. (Sorry don't know a better way of asking the question).

2) Do you have to buy a seperate SD card to use the R4 or does it come with one?

Hope you guys can help and please be patient whilst I get up to speed with all this.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm new to all this so sorry for the poor questions. Have read through the thread but need these answering in simple mans terms

Fantastic Site and Great Review.

1) Both me and my daughter have a DS Lite. If we both had an R4 and installed a copy of Mario Kart would we be able to play against each other. I understand the download feature where only 1 of us has the original, i.e. Super Mario doesn't work, but can we actually play against each other R4 vs R4. (Sorry don't know a better way of asking the question).

2) Do you have to buy a seperate SD card to use the R4 or does it come with one?

Hope you guys can help and please be patient whilst I get up to speed with all this.
Welcome to GBAtemp
smile.gif
Thanks for the compliments!

1) Yes local multiplayer will work just fine. It does on any flash kit and not just the R4 DS. As you said, it's only download play that ever causes problems.

2) The R4 isn't supplied with an SD card. You need to pickup a Micro SD card. Check this site out for cheap micro SD cards.

bwfc0907

Trophies
XP
Country
1) Yes local multiplayer will work just fine. It does on any flash kit and not just the R4 DS. As you said, it's only download play that ever causes problems.

Will wifi multiplayer over the net work or is there no such thing. Am thinking mario kart in infrastructure mode against people I don't know?

Thanks for the response.
nds.gif

darkzagi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dear R4 gurus,
I just got my R4, I do have a couple of questions though...

1 ) Do I have to create a GAME folder at the root for ALL my .nds files? Or just drag and drop them in the root?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks!

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dear R4 gurus,
I just got my R4, I do have a couple of questions though...

1 ) Do I have to create a GAME folder at the root for ALL my .nds files? Or just drag and drop them in the root?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks!

Drag 'em over wherever you want to. If you want to keep it in the root, or organized in a 'GAME' folder is up to you.
Either way, it will work.

eilegz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
very intesresting after reading this i want more this, supercard ds one screw it up this time and its more expensive than m3 simply the choice its obvious.

i wonder what other good reliable place i can get the m3 simply or r4 at us.

i usually ask my friend to get stuff from www.realhotstuff.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.