New Review - R4 DS

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
Is it possible to modify the 'GAME' page? I dun like to see 'shell' & _DS_MSHL.NDS, is it possible to delete them or whatsoever so that it just shows the game list?

I find it very untidy

just create a folder for each rom, that way each rom and its save is in a seperate folder and tidy
biggrin.gif

khan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Does anyone from UK who has bought R4 DS from Gameyeeeah tell me roughly how many days it takes for the item to arrive after they ship it.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Battery Life Results:

Test condition:
  • Fully charged European Black Nintendo DS Lite
  • R4 DS, Sandisk Ultra II 1GB formatted with FAT32.
  • New Super Mario Bros. Running Main Menu and movie looping continuously
  • Screens at max. brightness (level 4)
  • Sound at 100%
Results:

Backup ROM of New Super Mario Bros. on R4 DS = 4 hours 20 minutes
Retail New Super Mario Bros cart = 4 hours 55 minutes

khan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
Ordered 2 R4DS on the 29th Dec from gameyeeeah, and I know they've arrived in london today! I'm expecting either tomorrow or sat.

I also ordered on 29th Friday night i think it was, BTW in my e-mail it says delivery expected from 12-18 now is that correct because if true that's far too long.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
just create a folder for each rom, that way each rom and its save is in a seperate folder and tidy
biggrin.gif
Yeah, you mentioned that earlier and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Pretty neat and organized I'd say.

ROOT
>Games
>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.nds
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.sav
>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.nds
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.sav

Definitely works for me.
biggrin.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone from UK who has bought R4 DS from Gameyeeeah tell me roughly how many days it takes for the item to arrive after they ship it.

I ordered on Tuesday night (with paypal) and picked the only shipping option available. It left Shenzhen at 12:10 local time today (About 7am our time). I think so anyway, it says "operation completed" but I think that means it's been sent on it's merry way from Chinatown not that it's actually arrived in my nearest city.

I'll let you know when it gets here. Hope it doesn't come tomorrow when I'm at work, cos courier company's depots are always on industrial estates in the middle of nowhere so I'll have to go on a trek to pick it up.

mgfcortez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is great:)
only like $50 bucks and better that the $130 one.
but i hope the MicroSD card don't cost to much:(
but i have a 64mb card i got to move stuff from pc to pc.(i know it's so small)but maybe i can use it until i get a bigger one:)
what brand's are best to get and cheapst,thanks for any help:)
also what's the best slot 2, gba card to get.
one that will load up most gba games and save.
i've been reading alot about this stuff,but still don't get it all:(
help me if you don't mind:)
thank you for your reply and time!!!!!!!!!

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great review as usual. I only have one question which I think wasn't answered in the review: How are saves handled? Are they temporarily put into a SRAM/EEPROM and then transferred to MicroSD on next boot? Or are saves directly written to MicroSD?

Could someone please answer my question?
Saves are actually saved to the microSD card in the same directory as the rom, with the same filename as the rom. You don't have to find out the save size for certain roms because all save files for the R4 are 512KB, so it doesn't matter. Any rom should work. It'll ask you if you want the .sav created the first time you load the rom. After that, it'll automatically load. Should answer that question.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Great review as usual. I only have one question which I think wasn't answered in the review: How are saves handled? Are they temporarily put into a SRAM/EEPROM and then transferred to MicroSD on next boot? Or are saves directly written to MicroSD?

Could someone please answer my question?
Saves are actually saved to the microSD card in the same directory as the rom, with the same filename as the rom. You don't have to find out the save size for certain roms because all save files for the R4 are 512KB, so it doesn't matter. Any rom should work. It'll ask you if you want the .sav created the first time you load the rom. After that, it'll automatically load. Should answer that question.

What he's asking is does it save directly to the microsd or do you have to soft reboot when you've finished playing to write it from the eeprom.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What he's asking is does it save directly to the microsd or do you have to soft reboot when you've finished playing to write it from the eeprom.

Did I not answer that?
Perhaps a little longwinded, but it answers the question and in the long run, the whole save system is explained in full there so he/she shouldn't have anymore questions about it :/

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Did I not answer that?
Perhaps a little longwinded, but it answers the question and in the long run, the whole save system is explained in full there so he/she shouldn't have anymore questions about it :/

I'm afraid my question is not answered. I know saves are written to the MicroSD. What I want to know is if there is a step in between, where saves are stored in a SRAM/EEPROM, and on next boot written to the MicroSD.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lawl, I guess that's not a "straight-forward enough" answer. Yes the saves are saved to the microSD card. No the saves aren't stored SRAM/EEPROM. No it does not write to the microSD card on next boot. The first time you load a rom, if there is not a save, it asks you do you want to create a .sav file. You've got the option to create it, cancel, or ignore it. If you do happen to create it, it creates the save file right then. You'll see a progress bar. After that, it'll load the save file and the rom. If you take a look on the SD card, in the same folder as the rom will be a .sav file with the same name. The next time you boot that rom, it'll automatically load the save file. You should only ever have to see the prompt to create a save file if it hasn't been done and the .sav (with the same filename as the rom) is not in that folder. Lawday lawdz. If I haven't answered whatever question you have with that, all I say is this.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

kohkindachi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you mentioned that earlier and that's exactly what I'm doing right now. Pretty neat and organized I'd say.

ROOT
>Games
>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.nds
>>>XXXX - TEH GAEMZ.sav
>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.nds
>>>XXXX - ROFLMAOWTFBBQ.sav

Definitely works for me.
biggrin.gif
Do you have the 'Shell' folder?

Can we delete it?

BTW i tried to make it a hidden folder, but not wrking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1