New Review - DS-Xtreme 4Gbit

kaputtfurleben

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to trim 13 roms and still have around 64 megs to squeeze in a 512 cart. Here is my list

Advance Wars
Bomberman
Castlevania -DOS
Mario and Luigi - PIT
Mario Kart DS
MegaMan ZX
Meteos
NSMB
Phoenix Wright
Tetris DS
Trauma Center
Viewtiful Joe
WarioWare.

That's more than I could ever play all at once. 512 is enough for some, but maybe not all. If you don't like it, just don't get it and wait for the acekard.

Have you tried using single-cart multiplayer with trimmed roms? The gbatemp review used non-trimmed roms, just wondering if it works the same in both situations.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once I put them into this card..can I delete them and put other cleannds roms into it again ?
smile.gif

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Awesome review! If I had the money, I'd definitely buy one of these. I'm really itching to play some Scumm games outdoors.
laugh.gif

NetShira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. A noob question but if size is the issue.. then it seems that if one needs more than the 512 (Like for ScummVM games.. Full Throttle for instance) couldn't someone just pick up the a Slot 2 SD card and use this card as the passcard to boot from it when that's needed?

SYN7HOR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I managed to trim 13 roms and still have around 64 megs to squeeze in a 512 cart. Here is my list

Advance Wars
Bomberman
Castlevania -DOS
Mario and Luigi - PIT
Mario Kart DS
MegaMan ZX
Meteos
NSMB
Phoenix Wright
Tetris DS
Trauma Center
Viewtiful Joe
WarioWare.

That's more than I could ever play all at once. 512 is enough for some, but maybe not all. If you don't like it, just don't get it and wait for the acekard.
Replace Viewtiful Joe with Electroplankton and that's EXACTLY the same as my current list.

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. A noob question but if size is the issue.. then it seems that if one needs more than the 512 (Like for ScummVM games.. Full Throttle for instance) couldn't someone just pick up the a Slot 2 SD card and use this card as the passcard to boot from it when that's needed?

m3 does not work with ds-x. dont know about other cards.

mars

Remtule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
any chance of ds ftp working with the ds-x?
or at least in the near future?

especially from team xecuter, i would of thought this would of been standard
but cant win em all first go

biomcanic

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi to everyone!!

I have the ds-extreme with version 1.0.2 of the firmware. I´m trying to play warioware but it freezes and my ds shows a white screen
cry.gif

I´ve tried the european and usa version of the rom, but it's the same problem. Anyone knows something about this??

Thanks a lot!!
smile.gif

saccorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi to everyone!!

I have the ds-extreme with version 1.0.2 of the firmware. I´m trying to play warioware but it freezes and my ds shows a white screenÂ
cry.gif

I´ve tried the european and usa version of the rom, but it's the same problem. Anyone knows something about this??

Thanks a lot!!Â
smile.gif

You should look into the DS-X support site for more information on the issue. It is a pretty well known issue as well as the issue related to the build quality. Many are complaining about the DS Xtreme cart not making a good connection with the DS which is the issue I had before returning my cart. Check out the DS-X forums:

http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=862
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=911
http://forums.ds-xtreme.com/showthread.php?t=500

I hope DS-X steps up and fixes the issue, it is a very cool cart when it works...
dry.gif

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
My main concern about both this and the G6 cards with built in memory is the corruption over time of the flash ram. Inevitably the card will suffer errors as information is written to it consistently. From what I can tell this is a known issue and most new SD cards etc will block off access to an area as it fails and becomes unusable. This is one of the reasons PRAM is being researched and pushed heavily by the memory manufacturers as it doesn't suffer this particular problem.

At least with a micro/mini-SD solution you can simply replace a dying card with a new replacement. Wouldn't this suggest the DS-X for all its current superiority is actually not a viable "long" term card?

I know some out there will say you wont live long enough to kill off the RAM inside these devices ... but then they said that you'd never write enough times on a DVD/RW to kill it either .... and I've done that to several discs.

Personally .... I'm happy to use a Suprcard lite until a slot 1 card comes out with the compatability of DS-X AND transflash storage. Why didn't they do a DS-X version of that I wonder?

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
By the time the flash memory in your ds-x dies out, there will be even better improvements to the ds-x (I am sure they will come out with a mini-sd version as well) and of course, better improvements with technology.
The same goes with everything nowadays. You asked why they didn't do a ds-x version with mini sd card. Well, probably because the slot 1 devices are an emerging technology.
The first computer to come was the eniac. It weighed several tons and took up a huge wherehouse space. now, I could have asked: why didn't they make the first computer smaller like we have today? Well, emerging technology. Over time, things improve.
Just keep watching the slot-1 scene over hte next few months and you will see what I mean.
B.

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I hear you ..... the slot 1 scene seems a little immature at present ... all cards having their own particular issues/quirks. Reminds me of the slot 2 scene a year and a half ago. Just needs time to work out the kinks etc.

Still ..... considering the scene at present with just about every slot 2 card using removable media and 2 slot 1 adapters going the same route I would have thought dumping flashy LED's and the USB connector in favor of removable media would have been the way to go for the DS-X team. Maybe that's their next gen card
smile.gif
Still .... differentiates their product somewhat I suppose.....

I watch with interest what will be happening in the next few months ....

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Saves fine would mean that the saving works. A couple of graphical glitches during a save hardly would mean it doesn't "Play and save(s) fine". If the save glitch is the same as the glitch in the new rockman rpg title, it also could have gone unnoticed.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it said play and save fine..obvious both. I do not understand why the link tells otherwise. O.o

Play and save fine are both mean nothing is wrong with this game. Explain ?

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it said play and save fine..obvious both. I do not understand why the link tells otherwise. O.o

Play and save fine are both mean nothing is wrong with this game. Explain ?
It all comes down to the opinion of the person that assesses the game. In my opinion, fine doesn't necessarily mean perfect. Loaded up the game and the glitch is simply the top half of both screens flickering white a bit while saving. I would agree that this game does indeed play and save fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay