Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shaun, one question I do have is:

In the screenshots I see a cool little graphic for each game. Do you, as a user, have to add them or does the cart pick them up from each ROM in the cart somewhow?

The icons are the same icons you see on our portal. These are extracted from the ROM automatically by the DS-Xtreme OS. You don't have to do anything else except drag the clean ROM you want over!
One other thing too:

Was is easy to skin this thing & what did you use to do it?

Thanx in advance Chief!
I wouldn't say it was easy unless you know a lot of XML and javascript... It's not just as easy as editing a BMP background file... Because the skinning engine is very advanced - you can do pratically anything you want with it. Hopefully will show you guys some samples soon.
smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I looked at the DSXtreme forum, in the FAQ :

Q: Is the DS-Xtreme OS / Firmware upgradable?
A: Yes! And the best part is that its DEAD EASY and SAFE to do it

Do you already know how the firmware upgrade will work ?
just a binary to run in DS mode ?
Or like the skin, if present in the root directory it'll be used, to avoid any malware or official games to delete it ?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at the DSXtrem forum, in the FAQ :

Q: Is the DS-Xtreme OS / Firmware upgradable?
A: Yes! And the best part is that its DEAD EASY and SAFE to do it

Do you already know how the firmware upgrade will work ?
just a binary to run in DS mode ?
Or like the skin, if present in the root directory it'll be used, to avoid any malware or official games to delete it ?
They haven't released details yet. Current units sent to reviewers like ourselves have to be updated by dragging an 'os.sys' over to the root and doing a button combo on the DS-Xtreme.

I've heard rumblings that the real upgrade process for end-users will be very simple. They plan to just code an excutable for every OS (Windows, Linux, Mac etc.) that you run and it does the rest.

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
  The only other little thing is the fact it has to boot up to the DS menu, then you need to select the card to boot it up.  A shame they never put some sort of fast booting on it, maybe this will come in the next firmware update. 
Hmm...Are you aware that you can edit NDS settings so that it automatically runs whatever card it's in slot-1 when you power the console up?
There's no need to add fast boot to the DS-X; it's just a matter of reading the manual of your DS unit
nyanya.gif

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Costello posted:

"Of course we cannot edit people's post. They have the right to think and to say that 512 MB is not enough. The DS-X team does read GBAtemp and perhaps it will make them realize that a lot of people actually want a bigger version or a version with removable media. Removing this kind of comments would be on the contrary an act of "bias" don't you think?"

My response:

Well, you actually have the ability to edit posts. In fact, when people inquire about where to obtain Roms or they list a link to where commercial Roms can be downloaded, you edit those posts and/or lock them. According to your argument, such posts should be allowed. Am I not correct? I don't want to get into a flamewar over censorship. My point, and I am sure everyone else agrees, was that I was sick and tired of seeing people complain over and over and over and over and over and over about why they didn't like the XTreme because of its limited memory capacity.
Now, those individuals could have easily went to *the* site (the ds-X site) and posted
their gripes there. That would be more appropriate, don't you think? You go direct to the source, because the Xtreme people will check their boards first before anything else. That is the point I was trying to make.

To arm73 and others: I apologize to you all if my comments didn't come across very nicely. Its just that I was really excited about reading the Xtreme review, but when people started complaining about the limited memory(which he dsX team made known months ago so it shouldn't have been a surprise), and that costello or shaun77 were biased towards Xtreme or that they weren't going to buy it, etc, that got me mad.

Oh, and btw, great job on the XRom GUI interface Costello. Excellent work! I have been meaning to tell you that.
B.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
they have to edit/delete/lock posts about roms because that shit is illegal and they will get shut down, not because they want to stop discussion. stop being an idiot; read the terms of use.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok deathspawn.
I know you are mentally challenged, so I won't hold that against you. Let me explain it to you in terms a 2 year old could understand. Well, maybe that might be a little hard for you. Let me explain it so that a dog can understand it.
1) Costello said that he could not edit posts. Understand that? If not, stop me. Now, I was pointing out that yes, they can and have done so in the past when people have written things that they should not have. Hope I didn't lose you at this point.
2) I am aware of the terms and conditions. Wait, those words might be to big for you. Let me try again. I am aware of the good things and bad things that I am able to post. I was making an argument (albeit facetious-> don't worry about that word), that if he is against editing out posts, therefore, people who want to talk about where to get roms should be allowed to.
3) I would appreciate it if you do not call me nor anyone else names. That was not necessary. You can make a point, but you do not have to go past the line.
You see deathspawn, its comments like yours that force me to write comments like this post to defend myself.
Bob

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
right, except you are assuming i am mentally challenged, which just like your other post, is wrong.

you said yourself that your arguement was facetious, i called you out on it, and you get defensive. you claim that my comment about you being an idiot was not necessary, how the hell is your comment about me being mentally challenged, and then your downspeak to me any better?

you are the one with a problem, not anyone else. you are wrong, and just trying to stir up trouble. you know the answer to your loaded question anyways, and yet you ask it. let. it. go.

sylver78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Haha deathspawn999 is a winner !
I guess he can't even understand why he's wrong, I'm afraid that we can't do anything for him ...

Now to go back on the topic, the DS-X seems to be a great product with great support, so I'm pretty sure that they will release (sooner or later) some new hardware with some better things to fills all needs (more flash, microSD card reader ...). Just be patient
biggrin.gif
(or wait for the AceKard
wink.gif
)

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I got to agree with the above: deathspawn999, a winner is you!

The DS-X looks nice, good review by the way, but i'm also a little excited about the acekard. If it came down to it and the acekard worked well and is cheap enough, I would grab one.

Although it's been talked about nearer the start of the topic, for backup's, the storage capacity is fair at best, you can't go wrong with 512MB as of yet, but for some homebrew, (e.g Scumm with talkie versions) and MP3's which is one of its main functions complete with its flashy lights, the 512MB is quite sparse if you wanted the convenience of having a combo of backups, homebrew and music.

I really like the O/S and the lights are nice, but as with the M3, these are things I could do without for speedier access into homebrew apps, and backups. My biggest gripe is the price which is way too high for something that probably cost the developers a fraction of what they charge to manufacture. One word = extortionate. What is funny is you can get a slot-2 solution that will do everything this can do for nearly half the price :-/ e.g, £20-£30 for a supercard + £10 Passcard device (if you do not flash your device), £10 1gb SD hmm...£30-£50 vs £70-£80 for a DS-X?

Maybe i'm being picky, but the extra convenience of an expandable storage medium is a nice prospect for the acekard. Lets see if that lives up to its promises! Anyone here have any ideas of a release date?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
when I mean "I cannot edit" I mean we are not going to do it! of course we can technically edit posts
huh.gif

but we're not going to remove messages of people posting their opinion on the DSxtreme! if you can't post your opinion, then what can you post?
There could be 1, 10 or 1000 members saying "512 MB is not enough"... in that last case I suppose the DS-X team would seriously begin to consider making a bigger cart or a cart with removable media.

Concerning battery life, we have performed 1 test so far.
Here is the context:
- DS Fat
- Full brightness (on a DS fat)
- DSxtreme LEDs at medium power
- Sound at maximum
- Looping on Metroid Prime Hunters intro video sequence

Test started at 18:54pm, DS died around 1:00am.

We will perform further tests using a DS Lite, and different games too.
The metroid video intro requires a lot of read access on the cart.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So for about 40 more bucks, we can get this instead of a G6? Why do LED lights turn everyone on so much?
Dude, it's nothing like a G6 with LED's.

It's a slot1 cartridge: If you have both a DS Lite and a DS Phat it'll fit prefectly in both.
Single card multiplay works.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi guys!
This will be the last post in response to deathspawns commentary. I am going to try to explain things to him as clearly as possible.
To begin, here is his original message to me:

they have to edit/delete/lock posts about roms because that shit is illegal and they will get shut down, not because they want to stop discussion. stop being an idiot; read the terms of use.

I responded back sarcastically and this is his follow-up post:
Right, except you are assuming i am mentally challenged, which just like your other post, is wrong.

you said yourself that your arguement was facetious, i called you out on it, and you get defensive. you claim that my comment about you being an idiot was not necessary, how the hell is your comment about me being mentally challenged, and then your downspeak to me any better?

you are the one with a problem, not anyone else. you are wrong, and just trying to stir up trouble. you know the answer to your loaded question anyways, and yet you ask it. let. it. go.
Now, Deathspawn, I appreciated your comment about the editing of posts. I had no problem with that. But, what I did take offense to was when you referred to me as an idiot. That was unnecessary. Disagree with me. That is fine. Criticize me. That is fine. Name calling. That is not fine. So, in response to that, I wrote you a sarcastic post, in which I referred to you as mentally challenged. You seem like an intelligent person, but you let your emotions dictate how you react in different situations. So, with that said, I want to go through what you wrote and I want you to clarify things for me. If I am wrong, I will most certainly apologize to you.
1) You stated that in my other posts, I wrote things that were incorrect. Can you tell me what they are (and since I believe you are intelligent, don't include that one).
2) If you are discussing something with someone and that person calls you an idiot, wouldn't you be on the defensive as well?
3) You stated that I am wrong and that I am trying to stir up trouble. Please explain this to me. Please do not refer to my previous post to you. As I stated earlier, that was in response to you calling me an idiot. Pls cite examples from other posts I have made in which you believe I was wrong in some way and that I was trying to stir up trouble.
4) What was the loaded question I asked which you claim I knew the answer to?

I await your response deathspawn.
Bob

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
I see many posts about the cost of the Ds-X being expensive. But take a look at what you are getting:
1) a slot 1 only device. No more passme or flashing the bios of the DS. No more flashing a gba cart. No funny things sticking out of your DS(the big passme), near 100%
compatibility of games, meaning you don't have to wait for them to issue a patch so that you can play a game. Drag and drop. Mac friendly.

But wait! There's more!
2)great customer service support. I don't kow of any other dev developer that has a website with forums, that will answer questions quickly, is in contact with its customer
and does not manufacture cheap quality products

But wait! There's more
3)The OS for the Xtreme is awesome and very simple to use. As a bonus, they have included a build in MP3 player with flashing lights. Plus, you have customizable skins.

These 3 things alone justify the price of $124. No other company can claim the above. The Xtreme is the first Slot 1 solution out on the market. Now, just like anything new, it will be a little expensive, but as time goes by and there is competition and improvements ae made, the price will drop. Remember the first VCR's that came out? THose suckers weighed 20lbs and cost between $500 - $1000. Now, you can get them for $40 and they are tiny.

When people say that it is cheaper to go with another solution that uses mini SD or SD cards, let me ask you this:
1)Does the price you paid for the flash cart + the price for the passme + the price of the SD or mini SD card cost more than the DS-Xtreme? Last time, I checked, a 1GB SD card was around $45.
2)No one has answered this question so far: Realistically, why would you want to put
dozens of games on a cart at one time? Don't you think it better to a few games on, play them, erase them, then put on more.

The aceKard shows promise, but until it comes out officially and until it can be tested, we just don't know how compatible it will be to back-ups and homebrew. If you want a slot 1 only solution, get the Xtreme. If you are satisfied with what you have, stick with it until something better comes out on the market(which it should in the near future).
B.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone