Hacking New R4 - bad microSD reader

xler8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got two R4s in mail from modchipstore.com. The two R4s work great, but one of the microSD readers doesnt work. Anyone else having this problem? Likely just a manufacturing problem. Hopefully not affecting a lot of people.

Tested with two diff ADATA 512mb microSD cards. R4s using 1.05. The microSD reader shows up as a drive in WinXP, but gives IO error trying to read its contents. The microSD reader is made of clear blue plastic. A large component on the microsd's reader is crooked on the bad one, aligned straight on the good one.

k2theman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems to be a crapshoot whether you get a working one or not. I've heard of a lot of people with problems, and quite a few who got working ones (same with the Simply, as one might expect). My R4 just got shipped today, really hoping to get a working one as I don't have access to another reader.

xler8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

emoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine worked once then didn't after that. It feels like it's going to fall into pieces when I plug it in.

digital_sin

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
yeah me too, although MicroSD card readers are REALLY cheap, i can get one here easily for 2$, works fine (USB2.0 and all)

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not got my R4 yet, but its on its way. Looks like a lot of people have had problems with getting the microSD reader to work. Its free with the R4 so its no big deal. It still surprises me the amount of people that don't have anything to read a microSD card on in the first place. My reader is a 27 in 1 even though I've never heard of the other 20 cards
laugh.gif

It will read the miniSD cards but hasn't got a slot for the micro ones. I just use the SD adapter that comes with the microSD card. The microSD card is far too fiddly to put into a reader.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alot of people has been having problems with the included microsd reader. Saying it works perfectly like 1-2 times, then overheats and probably a circuit gets burnt. Or not working at all.

I think I got lucky to get an updated R4 pack though, as the one im using doesn't overheat at all and i've been using it a bit over 20 times now without a problem.

Although I dropped it on the floor and the shell broke in half (along with those tiny stick things).. so I had to duct tape it.. still working perfect
biggrin.gif

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not got my R4 yet, but its on its way. Looks like a lot of people have had problems with getting the microSD reader to work. Its free with the R4 so its no big deal. It still surprises me the amount of people that don't have anything to read a microSD card on in the first place. My reader is a 27 in 1 even though I've never heard of the other 20 cards
laugh.gif

It will read the miniSD cards but hasn't got a slot for the micro ones. I just use the SD adapter that comes with the microSD card. The microSD card is far too fiddly to put into a reader.

Well, I do have an SD reader but it's extremely slow (almost thought something was wrong with my Ultra II since it was the first time I ever used the reader) and the reader that came with the R4 wrote the files at the blazing speeds the microSD can really achieve... Once. Then it overheated and died. Almost took my computer with it. For some reason, it froze one of the times it tried to set up the reader as a removable disk then failed to load Windows properly. Everything returned to normal after an hour or so...

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what do the good readers look like?
There aren't any specific "good" readers that they bundle. It's really just a toss up. I have the translucent blue T-FLASH one that came with mine and it works perfectly, reads/writes fast as hell. I've also heard a few people who got the same one say it didn't work or fucked up their shit.

hereticorp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a clear blue T-Flash one and it worked twice then died on me, fortunately I had one from SuperMediaStore that works perfectly, I hope the one with my M3 won't be such a pain in the buttox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ