New R4 - bad microSD reader

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by xler8, Jan 5, 2007.

Jan 5, 2007

New R4 - bad microSD reader by xler8 at 10:46 PM (2,636 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. xler8
    OP

Newcomer xler8 Advanced Member

United States
    Just got two R4s in mail from modchipstore.com. The two R4s work great, but one of the microSD readers doesnt work. Anyone else having this problem? Likely just a manufacturing problem. Hopefully not affecting a lot of people.

Tested with two diff ADATA 512mb microSD cards. R4s using 1.05. The microSD reader shows up as a drive in WinXP, but gives IO error trying to read its contents. The microSD reader is made of clear blue plastic. A large component on the microsd's reader is crooked on the bad one, aligned straight on the good one.

2. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Mine didn't work either. Even the man behind the R4DS review's reader didn't work.

3. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    Mine worked and works perfectly. It's actually faster than the other card readers I have. Sorry about the 1/2 you got that didn't work :/

4. Hairy

Newcomer Hairy Advanced Member

Mine worked fine fortunately, but putting the microSD card in makes me think the reader is scratching it or the card is about to break in half :\ I recommend getting this card reader -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000652LU...3793074-3439338

It works fantastically! And also reads many other mediums besides a microSD card.

5. antiKk

Newcomer antiKk Member

Australia
    Mine didn't work either..

6. k2theman

Newcomer k2theman Member

Canada
    Seems to be a crapshoot whether you get a working one or not. I've heard of a lot of people with problems, and quite a few who got working ones (same with the Simply, as one might expect). My R4 just got shipped today, really hoping to get a working one as I don't have access to another reader.

7. xler8
    OP

United States

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad to see you can buy these cheap.

8. DSLite

Newcomer DSLite Member

United States
    As recommended before: LED Shoppe sell them cheap. Free shipping.
    If you care about, subscribe to their newsletter first, to get a free keychain per item you are going to order.

9. emoco

Newcomer emoco Member

United Kingdom
    Mine worked once then didn't after that. It feels like it's going to fall into pieces when I plug it in.

10. Kurai

Member Kurai GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I hope mine works when i get it >.

11. digital_sin

Member digital_sin GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    yeah me too, although MicroSD card readers are REALLY cheap, i can get one here easily for 2$, works fine (USB2.0 and all)

12. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Not got my R4 yet, but its on its way. Looks like a lot of people have had problems with getting the microSD reader to work. Its free with the R4 so its no big deal. It still surprises me the amount of people that don't have anything to read a microSD card on in the first place. My reader is a 27 in 1 even though I've never heard of the other 20 cards [​IMG]

It will read the miniSD cards but hasn't got a slot for the micro ones. I just use the SD adapter that comes with the microSD card. The microSD card is far too fiddly to put into a reader.

13. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Alot of people has been having problems with the included microsd reader. Saying it works perfectly like 1-2 times, then overheats and probably a circuit gets burnt. Or not working at all.

I think I got lucky to get an updated R4 pack though, as the one im using doesn't overheat at all and i've been using it a bit over 20 times now without a problem.

Although I dropped it on the floor and the shell broke in half (along with those tiny stick things).. so I had to duct tape it.. still working perfect [​IMG]

14. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, I do have an SD reader but it's extremely slow (almost thought something was wrong with my Ultra II since it was the first time I ever used the reader) and the reader that came with the R4 wrote the files at the blazing speeds the microSD can really achieve... Once. Then it overheated and died. Almost took my computer with it. For some reason, it froze one of the times it tried to set up the reader as a removable disk then failed to load Windows properly. Everything returned to normal after an hour or so...

15. brn

Member brn GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    What does the bad readers look like? Like the one in the review?

16. xler8
    OP

United States
    I have 2 readers that look like that in the gbatemp review, clear blue "T-FLASH". One is bad. There is a large silver oval component that is askew on the circuit board in the bad one.

17. baxor

Newcomer baxor Newbie

Sweden
    Yeah, that's the one. Mine just broke too.

18. manomanx2

Newcomer manomanx2 Advanced Member

United States
    So what do the good readers look like?

19. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    There aren't any specific "good" readers that they bundle. It's really just a toss up. I have the translucent blue T-FLASH one that came with mine and it works perfectly, reads/writes fast as hell. I've also heard a few people who got the same one say it didn't work or fucked up their shit.

20. hereticorp

Newcomer hereticorp Member

United States
    I got a clear blue T-Flash one and it worked twice then died on me, fortunately I had one from SuperMediaStore that works perfectly, I hope the one with my M3 won't be such a pain in the buttox.