iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wtfisausername said:
Maz7006 said:
wont wave changing games do the trick for us offliners ?

It will know that you wave changed and it will be logged on to the system until it goes online then it sends its info to MS so it won't be live safe.. but it should work?

im banned so i couldnt care less

ill just have to wait for the newer games to come out and patch them completely with wave 3 or wave 4 "stuff" and test them

cnt be bothered finding the damn SATA and the thing that opens the 360
tongue.gif

then again these ARE new checks so i doubt it will work

Team JungleFlash will pull through i suppose so its all good.

my old Hitachi is e74'd
frown.gif

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure someone already tested it, but...
9199 dash
Lite-on LT(newest)
Fable III
Clean secdata

2.0.12603.0 dash
Ben-Q LT(newest)
Fable III
Failed AP25 Challenge (Flagged)
Fable III wave 3 patch - dont work

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wave changing only appeared as a workaround for some of the old hacked firmwares that mistook a new wave for a bad disc (there might have been a bit of confusion way back as people mistook the wave for a constant- one of the fun things about reverse engineering is stuff like this can/does happen depending on how you play it). It will likely do nothing here.

I have no real technical details but it looks like the MS coders were hard at work making new checks which were added at dashboard level (this is what is called AP25) as an immediate detection rather than some logging/checking and resultant banning. Why they went this route I will leave for others to debate- the main two theories are people are enjoying their new offline 360s from last ban wave and simply banning from live was not working as well as people might have hoped or people were taking their annual replacement thing too seriously, personally I would not spend too long trying to find logic in the actions of AP and marketing departments.

Hopefully I have not got it wrong but in general SSv1 and SSv2 differ in measurements- SSv1 assumed all games used the same stock angles (which they did for early games) for their security sectors while SSv2 did it "properly" (it gets a bit more complex when you compare hacked DVD drives vs new and old 0800 firmwares but that is the gist of it). SSv3 is probably a further refinement of this tech.

Just quickly security sectors work on the 360 much like they do on the old floppy drives, CD protection and probably similar things on the DVD protections that appeared a few years back. That is to say at various points on the disc there are "bad sectors" and while the game may never see them if you start at 0 and read from there you will run into them and they can also be checked against as burning them back if you have a nice drive that can read them. However if their locations are ripped when you rip the game stored in a small database file and then read by the hacked firmware only to be fed back to the drive how they would be on a real game* you can bypass this protection.

*speculation is still ongoing but the "new timings engine" that appeared in LT was theorised to be about the timings for spitting the SS values back at the 360 was wrong compared to what a real drive would be.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hope all you want but we have just seen wave 7 (granted it was only 9199) and they have a genuine reason to push the update (kinect and these protections). The new COD seems to be wave 6 but I would not hold out much hope for anything past Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood or Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (indeed I would not be that surprised if they were wave 8 and needed that dash).

Good news is there is not much out after that until early next year by which time we should have LT+ and relevant JTAG updates in place if it becomes truly necessary.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
So guys I have just been prompted to update to the newest dash. I have a drive modded console that has not been banned yet. Is this OK to play wave 6 games as per normal after updating or should I not update at all?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pitoui said:
So guys I have just been prompted to update to the newest dash. I have a drive modded console that has not been banned yet. Is this OK to play wave 6 games as per normal after updating or should I not update at all?

If I were you I wouldn't update just yet. I'd wait for the next LT to come out just to be safe.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
431unknown said:
pitoui said:

If I were you I wouldn't update just yet. I'd wait for the next LT to come out just to be safe.

Thanks. But I'm currently updating as we speak. I'll be optimistic and hope that this will only affect me if I play the newer games.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
pitoui said:
431unknown said:
pitoui said:
Thanks. But I'm currently updating as we speak. I'll be optimistic and hope that this will only affect me if I play the newer games.
Well, I would never do that. You just can't be shure what Microsoft has in store, until you sat a few weeks out. Shure, it's your decision to risk a ban, but why can't people just wait a few days/2-3 Weeks, to see what happens? I plugged my Ethernet from my XBox, and I'll wait. Because if there's the slightest chance to survive the new Checks/Banwave with a new FW, I can wait months, if needed.

@Topic: Microsoft gets as serious as possible. Not surprising, it was only a matter of time. And I have to admit, it's a pretty good move, sadly... (unlike Nintendo, which just can't do that
tongue.gif
).

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pitoui said:
431unknown said:
pitoui said:

Let us all know how it works out for you.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't want to wait a few weeks/months to play online, I've paid for my Gold membership and I intend to use it. I have a PS3 with Jailbreak so that's a no go for online. I need at least one console for online, and in my opinion the Wii just doesn't cut it.

Just played Halo: Reach and FIFA 11 online for a couple hours, both are backups. All seems ok. I used XVal and it still says Sec data is clean. Might check it tomorrow and see if it got flagged. That way we all know whether we should update or not.

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just curios, I have a sammy drive as spares and a liteon drive in my current xbox. Will flashing the sammy and spoofing it as a liteon drive work to get past the ap25 checks?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Josh192 said:
Just curios, I have a sammy drive as spares and a liteon drive in my current xbox. Will flashing the sammy and spoofing it as a liteon drive work to get past the ap25 checks?
It has been reported as not safe so I wouldn't even try it if I were you.

QUOTEI don't want to wait a few weeks/months to play online, I've paid for my Gold membership and I intend to use it. I have a PS3 with Jailbreak so that's a no go for online. I need at least one console for online, and in my opinion the Wii just doesn't cut it.

Just played Halo: Reach and FIFA 11 online for a couple hours, both are backups. All seems ok. I used XVal and it still says Sec data is clean. Might check it tomorrow and see if it got flagged. That way we all know whether we should update or not.

I pay for live too, but what I will not pay for is a new 360 so that I can plaly online with back ups. I survived the last 3 or 4 ban waves and with a little patience I will probably survive this one too. I had a legit box but it RROD over the summer and I'm not droping another 200$ on another one. I wish you luck and like I said earlier keep us up to date your now the official temp guinea pig.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should be able to switch a console to a Samsung or Hitachi, but you'll need do it in the consoles KV and not on the drive's firmware. To decrypt that KV, you need the CPU key.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
I updated, really nothing different about it really, not fussed about getting banned - online gaming not especially my cup of tea.

Let you know how I get on also...

I'm on LT and only ever played games with ssv2 - athough sometimes a few days before release..

Josh192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My Samsung Xbox had RROD so I decided to finally get around to fixing it (don't know how long it will last). I tried Fable and it works no problem with the new dash. I moved my profile off of my Lite-on Xbox onto a USB and can now sign in from the USB on both Xbox's (both have new dash). I saved the Fable save file to USB and now I can access both the profile and save file automatically from both Xbox's. So I have the Lite-on Xbox for the original copy and the Samsung Xbox for the backup. I was going to get rid of the Samsung one because it had RROD and was collecting dust, but now with the whole ap25 thing that looks to effect the majority of new games, it may serve useful the have it. Nice to has a drive in which completely side steps the new protection.

edit: may be flagged on my Lite-on Xbox for attempting to boot the backup on it
frown.gif

edit 2: Funny thing, when I updated to the new dash (2.0.12611.0) from USB, both Xbox's got right to the end and on the final restart presented me with the e71 error. I unplugged and then plugged them both back in, turned them on and it was fine. Not sure why.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
pitoui said:

Well in my case, I was going to simply flash back to stock before updating the dashboard, as that seemed to work for me last time. I rarely use Xbox live for much that a Silver membership doesn't already grant for me.

What's this about a new LT?
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.