New overview trailer details Mario Strikers: Battle League

Nintendo has released an overview trailer giving us a good look at Mario Strikers: Battle League. This should look familiar to anyone who's played another Strikers game; two teams of five compete in a version of soccer with a heavy emphasis on tackling and physical takedowns. Players can also use items, similar to Mario Kart, like a banana peel or giant turtle shell to impede other players.

The biggest change here is in the team make up. In previous entries, players would choose a captain who was a main Mario character, then be backed up by a goaltender and three identical sidekicks. Here, there are ten characters with unique stats and teams will be made up of four individual characters (with a Boom Boom in the net). Character stats can also be further modified with equipment.

The trailer also details how the multiplayer works. Locally, up to eight players can compete at once, and can use a single Joy-con to play. When playing online, only two people can play at a time on one console. There's also "club mode," which lets up to twenty people form their own club and compete against other clubs for leaderboard rankings.

Mario Strikers: Battle League will release June 10 on Nintendo Switch.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
I hope they add a mode where you can play it like it was on the GameCube.

The whole reason Super Mario Strikers (Mario Smash Football for you cheeky PAL region chaps) was fun was because it was simple and brutal. There was no complicated strategy for doing anything, just shoot the ball, blow up your friends, and tackle Wario into the electric fence so he screams "OHHH YEAHHHHHH!!!"

Battle League looks like it's going to be very complicated, and it definitely has what looks like a focus on competitive online instead of casual family fun that usually never resorts to thrown controllers and broken TVs (wink wink).

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA and Konami lost their minds with their yearly soccer games so Nintendo could have something special here.

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need a hockey opus :tpi:
I don't think Nintendo would make that game for you and the other 5 Canadians interested as it wouldn't be able to recoup its costs

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope they add a mode where you can play it like it was on the GameCube.

The whole reason Super Mario Strikers (Mario Smash Football for you cheeky PAL region chaps) was fun was because it was simple and brutal. There was no complicated strategy for doing anything, just shoot the ball, blow up your friends, and tackle Wario into the electric fence so he screams "OHHH YEAHHHHHH!!!"

Battle League looks like it's going to be very complicated, and it definitely has what looks like a focus on competitive online instead of casual family fun that usually never resorts to thrown controllers and broken TVs (wink wink).
Yeah, it would be GREAT if they had options to strip down the extras and play a more bare-bone game. I even preferred that the original didn't have bg music in-game, because the sounds of the crowd and overall hectic-ness was done so well. Plus, when the overtime music kicks in it feels extra intense.

That said, I do understand and appreciate that they're evolving and fleshing out the game. As much as I love the game, I've always found the original was lacking any kind of depth; regardless of what map you were playing on, what character you were playing with, or whether you were playing exhibition mode or tournament mode, every match was effectively the same experience. Great for pick-up-&-play I suppose, but not super interesting if you're enjoying the game and trying to get more out of it.

.. All I REALLY care about, though, is trying this new 8-player mode.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it would be GREAT if they had options to strip down the extras and play a more bare-bone game. I even preferred that the original didn't have bg music in-game, because the sounds of the crowd and overall hectic-ness was done so well. Plus, when the overtime music kicks in it feels extra intense.
Have you tried Captain Tsubasa? It offers that experience.

I played it and liked, but I'm already too used to PES 2018's fluid gameplay.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When nintendo looked back at the cube and thought ahh ok we did kinda litter the console with Mario insert activity games.

What different have they done.....

Let's port all our old games, lets recycle the others... which are pretty much the same thing.

Its a good job nintendo has a massive global fanbase that are loyal.

Its fun for a short period of time, if it wasn't for the switch been hacked and able to make cheats, the console has 0 interest.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When nintendo looked back at the cube and thought ahh ok we did kinda litter the console with Mario insert activity games.

What different have they done.....

Let's port all our old games, lets recycle the others... which are pretty much the same thing.

Its a good job nintendo has a massive global fanbase that are loyal.

Its fun for a short period of time, if it wasn't for the switch been hacked and able to make cheats, the console has 0 interest.
I'd argue the Mario sports titles on Switch have actually gotten a fair bit worse compared to their Gamecube counterparts. Gonna load up all the GCN ROMs on my Steam Deck soon, betting that'll be a great experience.

OTOH, Switch Sports has been fun to play, I'd say on par with Wii Sports at least. Plus it's a game that Nintendo is surprisingly selling for less than $60 for once, so there's that.

• Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over