New overview trailer details Mario Strikers: Battle League

Nintendo has released an overview trailer giving us a good look at Mario Strikers: Battle League. This should look familiar to anyone who's played another Strikers game; two teams of five compete in a version of soccer with a heavy emphasis on tackling and physical takedowns. Players can also use items, similar to Mario Kart, like a banana peel or giant turtle shell to impede other players.

The biggest change here is in the team make up. In previous entries, players would choose a captain who was a main Mario character, then be backed up by a goaltender and three identical sidekicks. Here, there are ten characters with unique stats and teams will be made up of four individual characters (with a Boom Boom in the net). Character stats can also be further modified with equipment.

The trailer also details how the multiplayer works. Locally, up to eight players can compete at once, and can use a single Joy-con to play. When playing online, only two people can play at a time on one console. There's also "club mode," which lets up to twenty people form their own club and compete against other clubs for leaderboard rankings.

Mario Strikers: Battle League will release June 10 on Nintendo Switch.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd argue the Mario sports titles on Switch have actually gotten a fair bit worse compared to their Gamecube counterparts. Gonna load up all the GCN ROMs on my Steam Deck soon, betting that'll be a great experience.

OTOH, Switch Sports has been fun to play, I'd say on par with Wii Sports at least. Plus it's a game that Nintendo is surprisingly selling for less than $60 for once, so there's that.
Sounds like Nintendo's [sports] getting worse because I played the ones on 3DS and those were, uh, very average, but not mediocre.

Even the Mario Tennis WiiU game as a simple tennis game is really good, yet that's about it (nothing special or unique). Virtua Tennis 2 is still brilliant to this day (rather play this than a Nintendo Mario Tennis), imo.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like Nintendo's [sports] getting worse because I played the ones on 3DS and those were, uh, very average, but not mediocre.

Even the Mario Tennis WiiU game as a simple tennis game is really good, yet that's about it (nothing special or unique). Virtua Tennis 2 is still brilliant to this day (rather play this than a Nintendo Mario Tennis), imo.

I really enjoyed N64's Mario Tennis, but that's the only one I had as a young'n. I bought Mario Tennis Aces for Switch but ended up trading it in, so I don't own any of the Switch Mario sports titles now. I briefly tried Super Rush on Atmos, didn't love it.

Admittedly I'm not opposed to any of the concepts presented in this Battle League trailer, it even looks kind of appealing to me. Then I remember that Nintendo's online infrastructure is shit, and the whole thing centers around online competitive play. So it's a wait and see at best, more likely a non-buy at worst.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its fun for a short period of time, if it wasn't for the switch been hacked and able to make cheats, the console has 0 interest.

I've had fun with plenty of Switch games for extended periods of time. My Switch is also not hacked, I do not use cheats, and yet I seem to still have a pretty good amount of interest in it. :)

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Looks like a great party game.
Thought so, too, but then I saw it only supports 2 Players per Console which is "meh". The Problem isn't really having 2 Consoles for 4 Players, but it's really a pitty you cannot enjoy it with 4 Players on the Big Screen / Beamer. I really would like to like this game, but without 4 Player Couch Co-Op I guess I will skip this one ... unfortunately :unsure:

relauby

Idiot Child
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thought so, too, but then I saw it only supports 2 Players per Console which is "meh". The Problem isn't really having 2 Consoles for 4 Players, but it's really a pitty you cannot enjoy it with 4 Players on the Big Screen / Beamer. I really would like to like this game, but without 4 Player Couch Co-Op I guess I will skip this one ... unfortunately :unsure:
Local play goes up to 8 players. You're only limited to 2 per console when you're playing online.

• Wow
Reactions: m00k00

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet