New Nintendo 3DS XL what charging chip?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Dramacydril, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Dramacydril
    OP

Dramacydril Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi to all,

I have hardmodded (micro usb port) my N3DS XL but afterwards made a big mistake. I reversed the battery and powered it on and now my 3ds wont power on (no blue light). When i connect the charger i can see the orange charging light and it stays on like normal. When i remove the battery and connect the charger i get a 5 second orange light thats it. Never a blue light. I checked the fuse on the daughterboard and next to the power port. Those are ok.

According to a topic in these forums (https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/) i need to buy a new daughterboard for it to power on. The second thing i need to buy is a charging chip (located near the power port) or it will not charge.

The description on my chip says:
    CKP TI (Texas Instruments?) 48W Z54P
    (see the image for the location of the chip)

I want to order the right chip from china (alixpr...) and get it fixed by a pro. Are there any hardware pro's here who can tell me if the chip image i attached will work or else tell me what the correct one is named?

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Dramacydril, Dec 28, 2016
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    How does one even reverse the battery "by accident"? Were you drinking by chance?

3. Dramacydril
    OP

Dramacydril Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    No lol, i tested the battery without the case. I just finished soldering and didnt want to screw on the case. Normally with the case you cant reverse the battery in the wrong way. Stupid mistake by me.

4. rip-it-up

rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

Oct 19, 2009
    manchester
    is the charging industor working fine above that chip in photo? I dont have any new 3ds but may be able to pull one from a old 3ds if you are struggling but shipping cost are probably gonna be more expensive from me

ps im not upto date on new 3ds so im not 100% sure of the problem

Last edited by rip-it-up, Dec 28, 2016
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I'm kind of disappointed that Nintendo wouldn't have some kind of protection circuitry in place. Just a couple of diodes would have done it.

6. proflayton123

proflayton123 悲しみ

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
  7. Dramacydril
    OP

Dramacydril Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands

Thanks for your reply. How do i test this with a multimeter. Im no pro.

More people have the same problem as you can see in the above topic i linked. I think they are right. The daughterboard is the problem and if im not lucky also the charging chip. Thats why i want to know if the chinese chip from aliexpr... will work.

Last edited by Dramacydril, Dec 28, 2016
  8. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 29, 2013
    Brazil
    Brazil, Sao Paulo
    @Dramacydril, did you fix your issue?

A customer used a counterfeit charger and now the New 3DS XL isn't charging at all. If I put a charged battery the console turns on though!

I wonder if that chip is causing the issue...

9. Dramacydril
    OP

Dramacydril Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    I already fixed it without replacing the charge chip. I replaced the daughterboard with a cheap one from aliexpress and it is working fine.

So i doesnt always mean that your charge chip is defect. Try the daughterboard first.

mvmiranda likes this.
  10. PunisherRepair

PunisherRepair Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2017
    United States
    For any of you that were looking for that part number for the charge controller IC...
    q2407x 1.5-A USB-Friendly Li-Ion Battery Charger and Power-Path Management IC, is in the BQ24072 family made by Texas Instruments. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slus810k/slus810k.pdf

11. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Did you find official/used daughterboards or did you get generics? Did you change both or just one? If one, which one?

12. ssjdeepanshu

ssjdeepanshu Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    India
    Hey does your charging light turns off when fully charged????