1. Dramacydril

OP Dramacydril Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Hi to all,

I have hardmodded (micro usb port) my N3DS XL but afterwards made a big mistake. I reversed the battery and powered it on and now my 3ds wont power on (no blue light). When i connect the charger i can see the orange charging light and it stays on like normal. When i remove the battery and connect the charger i get a 5 second orange light thats it. Never a blue light. I checked the fuse on the daughterboard and next to the power port. Those are ok.

According to a topic in these forums (https://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/) i need to buy a new daughterboard for it to power on. The second thing i need to buy is a charging chip (located near the power port) or it will not charge.

The description on my chip says:
    CKP TI (Texas Instruments?) 48W Z54P
    (see the image for the location of the chip)

I want to order the right chip from china (alixpr...) and get it fixed by a pro. Are there any hardware pro's here who can tell me if the chip image i attached will work or else tell me what the correct one is named?

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Dramacydril, Dec 28, 2016
  2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    How does one even reverse the battery "by accident"? Were you drinking by chance?

3. Dramacydril

OP Dramacydril Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    No lol, i tested the battery without the case. I just finished soldering and didnt want to screw on the case. Normally with the case you cant reverse the battery in the wrong way. Stupid mistake by me.

4. rip-it-up

rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

is the charging industor working fine above that chip in photo? I dont have any new 3ds but may be able to pull one from a old 3ds if you are struggling but shipping cost are probably gonna be more expensive from me

ps im not upto date on new 3ds so im not 100% sure of the problem

Last edited by rip-it-up, Dec 28, 2016
  5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    I'm kind of disappointed that Nintendo wouldn't have some kind of protection circuitry in place. Just a couple of diodes would have done it.

6. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Japan
  7. Dramacydril

OP Dramacydril Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands

Thanks for your reply. How do i test this with a multimeter. Im no pro.

More people have the same problem as you can see in the above topic i linked. I think they are right. The daughterboard is the problem and if im not lucky also the charging chip. Thats why i want to know if the chinese chip from aliexpr... will work.

Last edited by Dramacydril, Dec 28, 2016
  8. mvmiranda

mvmiranda GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    @Dramacydril, did you fix your issue?

A customer used a counterfeit charger and now the New 3DS XL isn't charging at all. If I put a charged battery the console turns on though!

I wonder if that chip is causing the issue...

9. Dramacydril

OP Dramacydril Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    I already fixed it without replacing the charge chip. I replaced the daughterboard with a cheap one from aliexpress and it is working fine.

So i doesnt always mean that your charge chip is defect. Try the daughterboard first.

mvmiranda likes this.
  10. PunisherRepair

Newcomer

United States
    For any of you that were looking for that part number for the charge controller IC...
    q2407x 1.5-A USB-Friendly Li-Ion Battery Charger and Power-Path Management IC, is in the BQ24072 family made by Texas Instruments. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slus810k/slus810k.pdf

TurdPooCharger and MDR like this.
  11. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Did you find official/used daughterboards or did you get generics? Did you change both or just one? If one, which one?

12. DEEP_STEEL

DEEP_STEEL GBAtemp Regular

India
    Hey does your charging light turns off when fully charged????

13. cosay

cosay Newbie
    Newcomer

my n3DS xL wont charge maybe because i used a busted charger, and my technician replace my charge Ic ( 48w z85k ) and he replaced it with an (48w z85f) chip then after that it charged the battery BUT it charge too slow like 6-7hr for 3Bars only. But he didnt do anything about the DaughterBoard (I believe the daughter board is the location of the battery?)

Question:
    1. do you think if i replace my Ic with different Code or number of the Chip? and it still works?

2. do I need to replace my Daughter Board to fix this problem?

3. where can i get a daughter board?

thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by cosay, Sep 2, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Nintendo, charging,