OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm ordering Apple's new Macbook and I'm wondering how much RAM i should invest in. Should I stay with 2 sticks of 1GB DDR3 (2GB) or upgrade to 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 (4GB)? I expect it to run a program like Photoshop or run a downloaded movie while surfing the internet without lag. It wont be commonplace, but when I do fire up a graphics intensive game, like CS or WoW, I expect it to run at an above average FPS rate. Any suggestions or advice on how much RAM I should order? Thanks in advance.

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picked up the Unibody Macbook and I'm loving it. I haven't done much with Photoshop so I'm not all to sure how it will run on 2GB of ram but I most definitely wouldn't buy the ram from Apple. They charge $150 for the install but you can get ram from a place such as Newegg for a little cheaper now, and if you are willing to wait for a little while the price will go down even more while the price for the Apple install will not. The ram looks to be fairly easy to install and the book that comes with your Macbook will give you step by step instructions for installing it.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
You should buy it with the lowest ram as possible (from Apple store) than buy all the Ram you need from a normal PC shop.

Apple Store's prices are very bad on the ram.
wink.gif

EndlessShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Should I buy the standard 2GBs from Apple that comes with the Macbook and then upgrade to 4GBs from another site? I'm wondering because I don't want to spend more on RAM if I already have enough to meet my needs.

EDIT: It would help if you guys provide me with how much RAM your laptop has to help me with my decision. Thanks!

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Judging by the price they sell it at (150$), I'd say go for it. RAM is always good.

I've looked at the new Macbook RAM specs, and here's some 4GB memory that it supports:
http://tinyurl.com/unibodyram (specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651)
As you can see, they are priced as about the same as Apple sells them for. If you find a better price and want to save a 20 or 50, buy it from another store. If not, Apple it is.

Apple sells it either as 2x1GB or 2x2GB, so if you get the 2x1GB you'd have to remove them all and buy 2x2GB or use 3GB (but then it can't run in dual channel). So I'd either go with the 2GB option and buying my own 2x2GB sticks, or going with the 4GB option from Apple. Both are priced approximately the same. It would have been better if Apple sold the 2GB as 1x2GB, then you could buy another 2GB stick and save a pretty decent amount of money. But unfortunately they don't.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EndlessShadow said:
Well right now I'm leaning towards the stock 2GBs from Apple then buying 2x 2GBs from OWC for 99.99. Which is probably 115 taxed and shipped.

Here is the link: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Appl...ro/Upgrade/DDR3

Are those good sticks of RAM?
I've seen threads on MacRumors saying OWC RAM is pretty good and works well.
I'd say go for it.

sconethief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the 4gigs of ram, more RAM =Win
How much are you paying for the whole laptop??? because Mac laptops are usually more expensive than a windows equivalent....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...