Homebrew New Idea Wiicraft

camochase

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first question would it be worth my time to learn java and wii dev essentials for my love of minecraft. I dont know the answer to that question but what do you think. who thinks that rewriteing the minecrafts launcher into a .dol file ,so that it can launch the minecraft.jar from an sd would work. im not shure and i really dont wanna spend my time if it wont work. but just for good measure who thinks it could work. i might have to change some controls or something so it could map to the wii. but ive seen it done with the ds, so maybe the wii? and thanks for giveing your oppinion

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't just need to write a launcher, but you need to recreate all the libraries.
The JAR is not just a rar with the images, it's the actual program code using the installed JAVA dependencies present on your computer.

You would need to install Java on your wii for the .jar to work, which is not possible (the Wii works with IOS, not Java).

So you can't make a dol which load the jar, you have to rewrite the game code fully for the wii.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you are a talented programmer, it's going to be a challange. First, you would have to have access to the game's source-code, and as it's not open-source, you're kind of screwed. On a side-note, if you're a talented programmer and understand reverse engineering, you could decompile a Java application, although you'll spend quite a bit of time repairing the ugly decompiled code. On another topic, byte-code is annoying and Minecraft on the Wii is a horrible idea, I doubt it even has the resources to support it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What Cyan said. .jar files require a JRE (Java Runtime Environment), which the wii doesn't have.

I like your enthusiasm and willingness to learn and invest time in it...but this isn't something you can do as a project. Without the ability to port, you basically have to rewrite the whole thing from scratch. And if you want to learn how to program...then this project is still far out of your reach (no offense, but you don't sound like you know how hard and frustrating programming can be).

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I would love to see Minecraft on the Wii.
But you cannot put the normal minecraft on the wii, you will have to make it yourself.
What I see more likely is a Minecraft for Wii similar to Minecraft Classic

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe the better chance to port a Minecraf-like (in 3D) to Wii is by porting Smealum's DScraft sources (Which are not open source yet).
It will need to adapt the sources to PPC instead of ARM.

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would need to create Java Runtime Environment for the Wii (no easy task). Also minecraft runs like poo even on a decent computer, I think it would kill a wii.

Edit: I guess there is an open source version of Java now (OpenJDK), so get porting.

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Yeah, ram will be a problem, since a game like that needs TONS of it. Plus you will have to written the entire game to be simpler. Since ou have not written anything before then it would take you even longer - 3 years maybe.

The closest thing I've seen done is this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Bu16wXq-ZQ#!
which you can download from here; http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Cubicle_Shooter

but even that has a long ways to go. Try something simpler that you can actually finish before attempting such a big project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: