QUOTE said:Some time ago we made a post regarding an overhaul to the CycloDS GUI. We realise this was a rather long time ago, and we apologise for the lack of progress in this area. We've had our resources rather stretched, devoted to other areas of development - however, recently we have finally found time to pick up where we left off and are happy to announce that work on the updated GUI is well underway and we plan to release a build for alpha testing within the next few weeks. Following is a summary of what's done so far:
* Updates to the skinning system. This is still very much a WIP and will likely change depending on feedback we receive from our users, however so far we have made it possible to assign a different bitmap to the bottom screen for the main menu, game list, cheat list etc as well as adding the ability to assign custom icons for items which were previously fixed such as the folder icon, GBA icon etc. We're considering several other changes regarding skinning, please see below for further details
* There is now a pop-up menu which can be brought up in the game list screen, for performing various operations on the currently selected item such as managing SAV files, managing RTS files, managing cheats and basic file operations
* Cheat codes can now be managed using the pop-up menu, removing that annoying "Do you wish to enable cheats" prompt before running games
* A bookmark system has been added. Any ROM (game/homebrew) or folder can be bookmarked. We are still trying to decide on the best way to implement this and feedback regarding this would be much appreciated - please see below
* Basic file operations (copy/move/delete) have been added and are accessed through the game list pop-up menu
* The scrollbar now works correctly, and the overall touch control has been improved
We urgently need feedback regarding the best way to implement bookmarks. Currently, our plan is to have two bookmark display modes. The first mode would display each bookmark as a square icon (the same icon used in the game list display) placed above and below the 3 main buttons on the main screen. This has been requested by several people and works quite well, but is certainly not suitable for some skins. The second mode would modify the moonshell icon on the main screen so when selected, it would bring you to the bookmark screen. Here your bookmarks would be displayed, along with moonshell, in the same manner as the normal game list. The bookmark display mode could be toggled via the settings menu.
Regarding skinning, we've already made it possible to specify a different bottom bitmap for each screen and we've made it possible to use completely custom icons. A few more things we're considering is making it possible to move the buttons on the main menu around and making it possible to disable or change certain GUI elements such as the text on the top/bottom bars which would be more suitable for some skins. Also now that its possible to have a separate image for the game list, it may make sense to have an option in the skin to force the icon size to either large or small, as some skins may be designed to work exclusively with one icon size. We're open to suggestions with skinning, but please keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to retain compatibility with the vast library of existing skins so we're not willing to make any changes which would render any existing skins incompatible. Rather, we're trying to add functionality while allowing all existing skins to work and adding optional features which new v2 skins will be able to utilise.
Well, that's the status of the GUI overhaul so far. Please let us know what you think, especially considering the bookmark implementation!