Hacking New Gateway Update 29/07/2013

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a PSA: Everyone safely ignore that condescending prick furry guy with 20,000+ posts who talks down to everyone, because yet again he's posting in a Gateway thread being a total arse in general. Saying Gateway won't work on 5.0 in favour of solely 6.1 (as if you know how they internally operate :rolleyes:) and btw;

"Working on" on 3DS means 2 different things, let's be clear on them
1. Is features WITHOUT a timeframe to be implemented - generally this means anything involving the firmware version; a method for these features could become possible tomorrow or may never happen - so this includes support for 5.x/6.x, downgrading, etc.
2. Features which are known to be feasible within the current limitations of the Gateway, it's just a matter of further firmware hacking - such as region unlocking on the firmware side.

Upgrading is fucking TERRIBLE advice when you have no clue if unknown exploits were fixed in the jump to 6.x. (To be fair you say people should stop updaying at all which should be in massive red letters all over this section). It's not enough that you talk down to newer users with amazingly smug comments like 'Educated guess' (You didn't guess fuck all and asked me for 'proof' way back in he first GW thread), you just continue to act as an authority figure about this when it's opposite and you're actually harmful to the discussion in making noobs thing wrong things.

Also Pong20302000 you are a cool guy but the info you are posting as fact sounds like second/third information from retailers, when the GW team isn't likely to even tell them anything about specific dev details aside from offhand comments. Just saying it's probably not worth reading into.
While you claim Rydian does nothing but be condescending, you seem to be doing the same exact thing. Pretty much every post of yours consists of you saying how idiotic Rydian and his opinions are.

We all just need to agree that we know nothing about Gateway, and probably won't for a week or two (assuming they actually shipped earlier today). Also, regarding your second different thing, a feature known to be feasible within the current limitations of the Gateway can also not have a timeframe to be implemented. Region unlocking may become possible tomorrow, or may never happen.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Uh no... we don't need to agree that - you and Rydian can agree on that maybe. We can have educated guesses if we actually know the situation well; that's why i guessed it was exploit based in the first place.. and there's plenty of information to be gleaned from their statements, the history of the people involved and comparing the technical points given to information on 3dbrew.

Region patching firmware side IS possible, you can make a fair assumption of this unless you want to be pedantic and say 'well maybe Gateway isn't real'. It's a case of working on the firmware in-RAM patching, and the information about these systems is on 3dbrew and documented. Maybe someone could put this in better words but you know what i meant i'm pretty sure - things in category 1 rely on factors that need to be discovered not just devtime.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh no... we don't need to agree that - you and Rydian can agree on that maybe. We can have educated guesses if we actually know the situation well; that's why i guessed it was exploit based in the first place.. and there's plenty of information to be gleaned from their statements, the history of the people involved and comparing the technical points given to information on 3dbrew.

Region patching firmware side IS possible, you can make a fair assumption of this unless you want to be pedantic and say 'well maybe Gateway isn't real'. It's a case of working on the firmware in-RAM patching, and the information about these systems is on 3dbrew and documented. Maybe someone could put this in better words but you know what i meant i'm pretty sure - things in category 1 rely on factors that need to be discovered not just devtime.
Yes, you can make educated guesses all day long, but educated guesses are just that: guesses. I'm not saying you're wrong, all I'm saying is we don't know if you're right.

Rytoast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all just need to agree that we know nothing about Gateway

THANK you. Everybody is speculating and arguing about how the GW3DS works, but only the dev team knows really what's going on. What most people don't realize, is that even the Emails FROM Gateway 3DS themselves are from their SALES TEAM, who probably don't know a whole lot about the product they're selling besides what it's supposed to do, and the price. Let's please wait for it to be released, THEN speculate about the inner-workings of the cards. Otherwise, we could fight over anything that anyone says (whether it works by injecting an Atari 2600 OS, or you need to put the 3DS in the microwave on "popcorn" setting), and not get anywhere. Why do you think the gbatemp moderators have been locking the threads?

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANK you. Everybody is speculating and arguing about how the GW3DS works, but only the dev team knows really what's going on. What most people don't realize, is that even the Emails FROM Gateway 3DS themselves are from their SALES TEAM, who probably don't know a whole lot about the product they're selling besides what it's supposed to do, and the price. Let's please wait for it to be released, THEN speculate about the inner-workings of the cards. Otherwise, we could fight over anything that anyone says (whether it works by injecting an Atari 2600 OS, or you need to put the 3DS in the microwave on "popcorn" setting), and not get anywhere. Why do you think the gbatemp moderators have been locking the threads?
Omg... *smacks forehead* popcorn! I kept putting my 3DS on defrost!

Reactions: Duo8 and Rytoast

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's what I'm doing too. They mentioned an entry point that still works after 5.x, but the important stuff (in terms of editing the system to load non-official media) does not.

This matches up with what's been posted on 3Dbrew about the save game exploit versus the kernel-mode exploit(s). The save game one (which is the entry point in getting custom code into the system) still works, while the kernel-mode one (which is needed to disable/modify some checks) does not (starting with 5.x).

Seeing as there was even a notice on 3Dbrew warning other devs not to update to 5.x, we know that a new kernel-mode exploit would need to be found. A lot of people don't realize this (which is why I keep pointing it out) and assume that it's the same thing that DS-mode flash carts deal with, in that they just need to update the header and data they present to the 3DS on boot to match an updated whitelist (and thus some carts produce these updates within 12 hours to a week).

If people on 5.x/6.x buy a Gateway assuming that it can be updated that simply/quickly, they could very well be waiting months to... forever (as we saw with the CycloDS iEvolution, save data exploit based, stopped working after an update, never got working again).

P

pasc

So: 4.x Kernel Exploid: Full access, hombrew, disabling checks

5.x Only savegame exploit

?

vini9157

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So the GW3DS site will be updated within 48 hours with the manual and stuff. They said they'll be sending me tracking information in a few minutes.

how many days the mail usually take to deliver something for you?

When coming from their country

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, just wanted to say that I did indeed receive tracking. Using a service that takes 2-5 days business days to reach me. That is all.

Wow, damn you got the expedited treatment. THat's pretty nice of them. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4