New G6 DS and M3 DS Real Information

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I see no point that people have to insist that R4 is not a part of Gbalpha. I think that they made the name R4 to trick all the supercard fanboys to buy their product, since that a lot of the supercard fanboys would never buy an M3.

Even if that is true, it doesn't make my statement that the M3Simply is a restickered version of the R4 false.
But I don't think it's true, SuperCard One came out at around the same time as M3Simply, so why would a "SuperCard Fanboy" then choose R4 instead of SuperCard One? And I think "SuperCard Fanboys" didn't want M3 because it costs much more, while not adding much, when M3 solves this price problem, then I don't think people would think: "Hmm, I'd rather buy it from an unknown company, cause m3's previous products were expensive.".
Also, why do they release their firmware updates a day later then R4? Don't they care about the die-hard M3 fans as much as they care about ex-supercardfanboys or something?
wtf.gif

It just doesn't make sense at all, but whatever the case may be, R4 was released earlier then M3Simply and their filesystem was called R4FS in the inbuilt moonshell, so M3Simply is the copy.

I've lost all respect for M3 since they released their slot-1 solution. The fact that its an exact copy of the R4 and then when the R4 releases a firmware update, M3 releases the exact same thing a few days later...

And why do you lose respect for them for that? You want them to not release the firmware updates at all?

Actually, I would think this means it'll have some non-volatile onboard memory from which it'll run your roms in order to not have to redirect I/O, thereby achieving 100% (almost) future-safe compatibility.

If this is true, I'll be sure to get this.

"100% (almost) future-safe compatibility" wow... there are already enough carts on the market with 100% (almost) future-safe compatibility, including the Simply...

I hope that the "ability to mimic an authentic NDS game cart 1:1" means that Single and Multicart play to unflashed DSs will work perfectly.

Also, saying that there is "True" 100% support for NDS games makes me wonder if they are doing something about games like POR that crash all the time on other flash carts...Who knows?

I find it strange that the G6 DS picture says "G6 DS Real". Does that mean that a "G6 DS Simply" will come out sometime?
I hope it too, but it seems expensive memory is required for unpatched clean rom support, fixing the Singlecard Multiplayer problem. The multicard multiplayers doesn't have problems with any cart afaik?

I believe the crashing does not happen with carts using specific brands of MicroSD memory, like Kingston JAPAN! and PNY.

Yeah, it will be a clone of R7.
tongue.gif
Neh probably not, it's just to say it will be just as real as M3 real, with only onboard memory as difference...

QUOTE(aphexpusher @ Feb 3 2007, 07:37 PM)
pretty sweet lookin. how much you want to bet we are going to see another r4 cart out soon with the same exact build and very similare software? =P

R4 real anyone?
You're gonna loose money on that bet.
wink2.gif

Gestahl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Also, saying that there is "True" 100% support for NDS games makes me wonder if they are doing something about games like POR that crash all the time on other flash carts...Who knows?
Just for the sake of truth - I have yet to see a single POR crash on my M3Lite with a Japanese Kingston 1GB and I'm already 10 hours into the game.

jibaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If it can play Castlevania POR with any Mini SD Card without having to buy any Japanese special Card I'm sold

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it can play Castlevania POR with any Mini SD Card without having to buy any Japanese special Card I'm sold
It will not... the M3 DS Real supports Micro SD carts, not Mini SD. And what's the problem with buying a Japanese special cart? It's not like you really need to go to Japan for it or something? I got mine just somewhere in Holland...
Also if Castlevania is so important for you... buy the game itself?

Ow and G6 DS Real has inbuilt memory, so it will not require Japanese MicroSD's either...

Mystic-Homer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
100% rom support for all brands/types of microSD's and 100% download play support, I'd think.

And I'd hope for GBA support too, if it's possible to have some on-board memory while not making the product too expensive
tongue.gif

FF VI Advance, anyone?
biggrin.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
It's just a standard, official GBA and DS carts are measured in bits because they're so small that if they were measured on a byte scale the measurement would be inprecise. It's like saying why measure furniture sizes in mm when cm or even metres would be better in most cases, it's true, but not standard.
That's not the reason. Everything is released in a multiple of 8 bits, so saying the size in bytes would be just as accurate.

It's just traditional that cartridge-based gaming systems have had their cartridge sizes measured in bits not bytes. I don't believe there's any particular reason for it. I agree though that it is particularly confusing and I wish GBA/DS release lists and the flashcart makers would switch to bytes.

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I laugh at the "The team are keeping tight lipped to prevent others copying their technology." since G6 DS is OBVIOUSLY copying DS-X technology (internal save chip, internal memory, usb 2.0 connection). Not saying that G6 is wrong to do so because DS-X had months to release a bigger version. I'm just saying it's pretty hypocritical to make that claim.

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's just a standard, official GBA and DS carts are measured in bits because they're so small that if they were measured on a byte scale the measurement would be inprecise. It's like saying why measure furniture sizes in mm when cm or even metres would be better in most cases, it's true, but not standard.

I will agree that the information can be misleading and cart manufacturers probably should quote the sizes in both Gb and GB for clarity's sake.

Inprecise? That's doesn't even really make sense. Bits convert to bytes perfectly. It's all marketing... that why this started. Back when cart sizes were small it sounded more impressive to say the sizes in bits rather than bytes or kilobytes. But today when you are talking about carts that can be measured in MB or GB, I think it's time to move on to more commonly used measurements. Nobody talks about bits when talking about storage for computers or electronic gadgets (MP3 players, etc...)... everything is measured in megabytes and gigabytes and it's time these flash carts did the same.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I laugh at the "The team are keeping tight lipped to prevent others copying their technology." since G6 DS is OBVIOUSLY copying DS-X technology (internal save chip, internal memory, usb 2.0 connection). Not saying that G6 is wrong to do so because DS-X had months to release a bigger version. I'm just saying it's pretty hypocritical to make that claim.

Well the DS-X and the G6 connect in different ways. The DS-X has a usbport, while the G6 plugs into a USB adapter

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
wow, that was some info...

wait, what?

well, i guess the pics are better than nothing!

edit; i wonder if they'll pass "the test" of that test rom...
It's always possible but I'd consider it highly unlikely for the M3. According to the author's notes(which I have no reason to doubt) the slot-1 protocol specifies a maximum random seek time that is much faster than anything NAND flash can do, only NOR flash, hard-printed ROMs and RAM can do it. If the M3 Real really is capable of running 1:1 without replacing any instructions to work around the slot-1 protocol, then the card is going to feature some sort of cache. Either it's going to be a small RAM cache to try to intelligently pre-fetch data, or a large RAM chip to hold the whole game. Otherwise if it's still a traditional controller + reader + NAND flash setup, then there doesn't seem to be any possible way for them to claim 100% compatibility.

The G6 will just be a M3 with the reader replaced with hard NAND flash chips. NOR isn't big enough(1Gbit max chip size), so there's just no other possibility.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder how the G6-USB interface will be implemented... I hope it's via a USB card reader and not the excruciatingly slow NDSGBA FireLine slot-2 cart.

Similar to the G6 (slot2) there is a usb reader/writer which you plug your g6 into.

I find it strange that the G6 DS picture says "G6 DS Real". Does that mean that a "G6 DS Simply" will come out sometime?

I seriously doubt it. Since they're made by the same company, i'm sure they just made it real to match the new m3, considering they are likely to be virtually the same hardware (save for onboard memory vs microsd)

QUOTE said:
For now the only known differences are that M3 Real will support a some sort of Mimic function, which will most probably boot a game without even showing the M3 menu or something.

Actually, I would think this means it'll have some non-volatile onboard memory from which it'll run your roms in order to not have to redirect I/O, thereby achieving 100% (almost) future-safe compatibility.

actually i think cenotaph's idea is much more likely, considering how your idea has been discussed in anopther topic and i think the conclusion is that fast enough memory is way to expensive currently to be feasable.

QUOTE(ShortFuse @ Feb 4 2007, 10:44 AM)

actually the slot 2 g6 came out before the DS-X and that had onboard memory. internal save chip, usb 2.0 connection have been on plenty of carts in the past so rather G6 has just adapted their ideas for their slot 2 card. internal memory etc. Besides in the end DS-X is hardly similar in features.

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
M3 Team has been around for a while.. I guess they're pretty reliable. I just got an R4 but I'm looking to get a Slot-1+Slot-2 set for my other DS. M3 Real + M3 Lite (Perfect) probably.

Anyone know if they are working on releasing any new Slot-2s? Or is that done and over with? If they're gonna make another slot-2 I'll wait but if not I guess I could jump for the M3 Lite now!

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

"100% (almost) future-safe compatibility" wow... there are already enough carts on the market with 100% (almost) future-safe compatibility, including the Simply...

Some consider the 'patching on the fly to redirect I/O'-method employed by current cards an insecurity regarding future compatibility as it will leave you depending on software updates which might never see the light of the day in case the publisher loses interest along the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again