Hacking New Flasher Mistake or lucky break?

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am new to the flashcard scene and having only ever heard of R4, it is what I googled.
Knowing that I like to have plenty of space free on any memory card I own, I opted for an upgradeable card and found this one

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/

R4SDHC DShappybox edition.

It came from http://www.memorycardzoo.com (I'm in the UK)

After finding this site I immediately bookmarked and began trawling for information, and what I found about fakes and bricks concerns me.
Did I just buy a knock-off fake and consider buying a better card to be safe? If so what would you reccomend for a basic micro SD upgradeable card to simply run homebrew and roms on?

Thanks in advance
Fizz

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
fizzi said:
I am new to the flashcard scene and having only ever heard of R4, it is what I googled.
Knowing that I like to have plenty of space free on any memory card I own, I opted for an upgradeable card and found this one

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/

R4SDHC DShappybox edition.

It came from http://www.memorycardzoo.com (I'm in the UK)

After finding this site I immediately bookmarked and began trawling for information, and what I found about fakes and bricks concerns me.
Did I just buy a knock-off fake
and consider buying a better card to be safe? If so what would you reccomend for a basic micro SD upgradeable card to simply run homebrew and roms on?

Thanks in advance
Fizz
Yes.

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that was a quick reply, but not the most helpful. Any chance you could ellaborate and advise if it's worth me forking out for a different card or if I am safe with this one?

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
currently there are like 4 "top" cards in my opinian these are:-
Acekard, M3, Supercard and Cyclo DS

those are in no particular order and they are just the makes of cards

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well the problem is that there's so many R4 clones its hard to tell which one is decent or bloody awful. ( Though guys here can tell the difference)

My advice is to try and return and get something better like an AK2i, SCDS1i, M3i etc.

I don't you didn't pay too much for it.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
laugh.gif
Sorry, I was planning to elaborate though.

I have a CycloDS Evolution, and if you have the money for it, it's worth every penny. A CycloDS won't work in a DSi though, keep that in mind.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get a different card. if you have a dsi or don't want to spend much money Acekard2i. If you have a ds or dslite and money doesn't matter get a cyclods.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Depending on your budget i would recommend either the CycloDS or the acekard 2i for the DSlite.

The CycloDS will not work on the DSi though.

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, well the card I have atm was £17.99 with 4gb SD (reduced from £28.94)
£18 for an sd card is not tragic, a little steep but not outlandish. So a new card would not be unreasonable. However, funds are a little strapped atm so It would need to be value for money.

I know people recommend the CycloDS for support for Wii and Wi-Fi as well as fast turn around on new games.
These don't interest me much as I don't have a Wii and I don't use Wi-Fi on my DSlite, I'm also patient so fast turn around on games is not essential.

Basically I need a good cheap card which is safe from bricks and will run a majority of mainstream games, and a supplier for UK with fast delivery would also win you may brownie points with this muppet.
smile.gif

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pliskron said:
Don't ever buy a card that says "I'm Hot"

Yeah, really should have been alarm bells
yay.gif

Thanks all. I should have read up harder before ordering, I guess I got a little over excited.

I'm going to have a good read about the differences now!

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
- good
- cheap
- support
- etc...

If cheap's the biggest opion and works on DS Lite and DSi, go get an AK2i (AceKard)

If cheap doesn't matter and you never plan to buy a DSi, go get a CycloDS

If you like to mess around and want something between that works on DS Lite and DSi , go get a M3iZero/iTouch2

I suggest as a starter and cheap, you go get an AK2i

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The R4DS Revolution was the 'thing' in 2006. This isn't 2006.

Anything called R4 today is a cheap rip off even if it does work. And you got that from a current R4 user (I have a real R4).

My brand of choice is likely the Acekard 2i and if I was getting a new card that's what I am buying. Remember, you don't buy based on price, you buy based on is it the right one.

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DjoeN said:
- good
- cheap
- support
- etc...

If cheap's the biggest opion and works on DS Lite and DSi, go get an AK2i (AceKard)

If cheap doesn't matter and you never plan to buy a DSi, go get a CycloDS

If you like to mess around and want something between that works on DS Lite and DSi , go get a M3iZero/iTouch2

I suggest as a starter and cheap, you go get an AK2i

Sorry to be a pain, what do you mean by mess around?

From the website ProtoKun7 kindly supplied I would be happy with either the Acekard 2i or the m3izero costwise of around £15-20. The CycloDS seems to be almost double that from some places which seems a massive jump.

I'm sure you get plenty of these threads so thanks for the patience with me! I'm tech savvy with PCs but this is all a little bit new but I will catch on eventually
laugh.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

fizzi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah I see, well I have already played around with the GUI files of the current card a little (made my own themes) so that would definately apeal.

I will be ordering the M3i zero I think.

Thanks again.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Well the problem is that there's so many R4 clones its hard to tell which one is decent or bloody awful. ( Though guys here can tell the difference)

My advice is to try and return and get something better like an AK2i, SCDS1i, M3i etc.

I don't you didn't pay too much for it.
my advice is that if the name is something like Hyper r4i or r4i upgrade, not just R4, then it is a clone and you should not get it whether or not it is a clone. wait a month or 2 and get the SCDS2 it will be easy to use and even play GBA games without having to buy anything extra and on dsi tooo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr