A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So who's using it? i just got it for fun. its an alpha beta build, so not recommend to download. (unless your like me and must have the latest version of everything
biggrin.gif
)

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

EDIT: link updated

EDIT: a new link:Firefox Minefield

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jax said:
Um, I'm using 3.1b1, so it's more recent than yours.
tongue.gif
Same, and possibly more stable.

( http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html )

If you really want the latest versions, you could try the nightlies, which have improved on the Acid3 test from previous ones.

Also, for more speed turn on:
javascript.options.jit.content and javascript.options.jit.chrome in about:config

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the latest nightlies get like 93 or 94 in the Acid3 test compared to 88 or 89 for the beta 1.

Also, to use existing extensions, make extensions.checkCompatibility true in about:config too (NB: May make a terrorist kidnap your daughter, amongst other things)

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting, gonna give it a go now. I'll probably use it over Google Chrome, as problems seem to be getting added all the time instead of fixed. (for example, the GBATemp navigation bar at the top of the page has disappeared, and IGN's videos don't display properly, contrary to it all being fine when Chrome was first released).

EDIT:
Oh, and the link that Lee79 has posted appears to be a more up-to-date Beta 2 than the link in the first post.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, but I installed it and skipped the plugin check and some of my plugins fucked up Firefox causing super interface lag, address bar disappearing, Firefox not remembering my settings, no session management, etc etc.

Back to 3.0.3 it is.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
WTH! the beta installs itself in a different folder than the alpha! so stupid...
There's a reason why beta versions are different from **main builds. If you knew, it'd be obvious why it installs in a different directory than normal builds.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Seven said:
da_head said:
WTH! the beta installs itself in a different folder than the alpha! so stupid...
There's a reason why beta versions are different from alphas. If you knew, it'd be obvious why it installs in a different directory than normal builds.
i thought the program would update itself...or at least ask me. i currently have 3 folders. firefox 3, shiretoko, firefox 3 beta 1. but w/e ur rite, i don't no shit about alpha and beta builds lol

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Seven said:
da_head said:
There's a reason why beta versions are different from alphas. If you knew, it'd be obvious why it installs in a different directory than normal builds.
i thought the program would update itself...or at least ask me. i currently have 3 folders. firefox 3, shiretoko, firefox 3 beta 1. but w/e ur rite, i don't no shit about alpha and beta builds lol
Nah, beta builds are always separate from normal builds. Since normal builds are supposedly safe and stable (or relatively more than beta builds) they'll be considered updates. The purpose of beta builds is to allow people to test it out as a separate build, an entirely separate program version if you will, to spot out and fix the kinks and bugs before an actual official update is incorporated into the main build.

As for alpha builds, those are usually not meant for the public but meant for software testers, usually internal to the company from which it was made. But this is a different topic; I digress.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I always install my stable builds and betas on the same folder, so they overwrite. Just one FireFox is enough for me.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Browser comparisons:
sunspider_test_tracemonkey_2.PNG

Some guy's results:

* Firefox 3.0.3 - total 3052.2ms
* Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 - total 2746.0ms
* Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 with TraceMonkey - total 1740.2ms

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wat?!! i thought they said minefield was the fastest browser (or is that not included in the test). and wats tracemonkey?

Posts merged

xJonny said:
Also, to use existing extensions, make extensions.checkCompatibility true in about:config too (NB: May make a terrorist kidnap your daughter, amongst other things)
i can't find that (using minefield).

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
da_head said:
wat?!! i thought they said minefield was the fastest browser (or is that not included in the test). and wats tracemonkey?

Posts merged

xJonny said:
i can't find that (using minefield).

Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 with TraceMonkey = Firefox Minefield (Code name).

wiki.mozilla.org
TraceMonkey adds native code compilation to Mozilla’s JavaScript engine (known as SpiderMonkey). It is based on a technique developed at UC Irvine called “trace trees“, and building on code and ideas shared with the Tamarin Tracing project. The net result is a massive speed increase both in the browser chrome and web page content.

TraceMonkey is currently available and enabled by default for testing in nightly builds. If you want to modify the types of JavaScript that are executed using TraceMonkey:

* open a new tab
* type about:config and hit enter
* read the warning and heed its wisdom
* enter jit in the filter field
* change the value of javascript.options.jit.content to enable (true) and disable (false). TraceMonkey for JavaScript in web content
* change the value of javascript.options.jit.chrometo enable (true) and disable (false). TraceMonkey for JavaScript in XUL/chrome

@ xJonny I am using Firefox Minefield and i can not find extensions.checkCompatibility = enable (true) In about:config also.
I must say though Minefield is super quick at displaying web pages and Adblock plus works with Beta 2
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro