Hacking New DSTT (Blister Packing) Fake or Factory Defect

Zolotor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone already opened the housing of the New DSTT version to see the PCB?
I am referring to the NEW DSTT version, the one that comes in the new blister packaging?

I recently received from a friend two New DSTT versions for comparison.
One is working or detected by the DS Lite while the other is not detected.

So I opened up the two for comparison. and attach the picture for your reference

Upon inspecting the 2 PCBs, they have some differences (refer to the picture above). But I am not sure if the faulty one is FAKE or just a factory defect since the DSTT Official website anti-fake guide seems to be referring to the OLD DSTT version. And the DSTT review on this site is based on the OLD DSTT Version, so I can't really compare.
IMG_5568T.jpg

So what do you think? is this factory defect or possibly a new Fake already for the New DSTT Version.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it's probably a factory defect. I doubt very much that a fake has already been produced for the new DSTT.

So the retarded darker coloured one does not work? I'm pretty sure it's a factory defect.

Zolotor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hehe Moo said:
I think it's probably a factory defect. I doubt very much that a fake has already been produced for the new DSTT.

So the retarded darker coloured one does not work? I'm pretty sure it's a factory defect.

Yes the one on the right side is not working, it's not clear in the picture but the glass material is broken possibly because of the pressure or weight of the gob of black gunk.
If you see the DSTT in the left side, the working one, the gunk is not placed over the glass material, hence it is not broken.

But I wonder why the 2 PCBs have different color though.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zolotor said:
Hehe Moo said:

Yes the one on the right side is not working, it's not clear in the picture but the glass material is broken possibly because of the pressure or weight of the gob of black gunk.
If you see the DSTT in the left side, the working one, the gunk is not placed over the glass material, hence it is not broken.

But I wonder why the 2 PCBs have different color though.

Perhaps they're going for a cheaper material?

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's another problem:

The pcb revision of your two dstt are older than expected.

Look at the bottom near the contacts, it say "DSTT 6".

Mine, blister packed bought almost the first day of the release of the new packaging, say "DSTT 7", so i don't think it's the newest you got in your hand, or maybe it's old DSTT re-packed.

Zolotor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
boudincaca said:
There's another problem:

The pcb revision of your two dstt are older than expected.

Look at the bottom near the contacts, it say "DSTT 6".

Mine, blister packed bought almost the first day of the release of the new packaging, say "DSTT 7", so i don't think it's the newest you got in your hand, or maybe it's old DSTT re-packed.

This can't be an old version, as the PCB is different from the old version.
IMG_5568T.jpg

I don't know what the numbers say, it could be just machine number 6 or number 7 made the DSTT.
smile.gif

I Hope DSTT could answer this questions. I already emailed them but still no replies.

Zolotor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just an update.

It turned out that my friend got 2 pcs. defective items. He bought 6 of this and 4 are good while 2 are bad.
I took a picture of the two defectives with a working one. and looks like the same problem. The defective are also same color PCBs which is different in color with the working one.

What are the odds, of having two defectives, with the same color of PCB? So is this fake or not?

If this is a factory defect, it is possible that the entire line of this kind of PCB color is defective, and shouldn't it be checked by DSTT before being dispatched to its dealers.

btw, the 6 DSTTs are ordered from DX.

fatchance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I got the same thing too. the upper glass-y rectangle got that black smudge on it.. but it wasn't cracked tho
I uploaded the .dat files and folders and all I got was the MicroSD pix stuck in LOADING...
unsure.gif

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just had 2 dstt's go 'white screen of death' on me. Worked for a few days, now will only get past the white screen in 1in50 attempts, doesn't matter wether the mem card is in or not, 1in50 attempts will get past the white screen and show 'no-card'.. so it's definately the dstt's that are at fault as they act the same on any DS.

Also have seen a few people are now reporting the same error on the DX site, so beware of a new bad-batch all
frown.gif

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Zolotor said:
Has anyone already opened the housing of the New DSTT version to see the PCB?
I am referring to the NEW DSTT version, the one that comes in the new blister packaging?

Yes, I have.
Differences from DealExtreme versus anti-fake page at http://www.ndstt.com/en/anti_fake.html :

Packaging
Official site: TT logo seen on top of part of plastic.
DealExtreme: no TT logo. Now perhaps the official site is outdated, but perhaps not... maybe the official are selling with TT logo on the transparent plastic bit. Any thoughts, people?

Interesting note is the black on the packaging has bits of whitish areas on it... seems to be the design 'cause the official website shows an inconsistent black area, too.

Flash Cart exterior
Official site: Shots showing front of cart have left-side MicroSD slot (when TT sticker facing you)
DealExtreme: cart has right-aligned MicroSD slot (when TT sticker facing you)
Note: Official site says there shouldn't be any more stock of the left-aligned MicroSD carts, as they stopped production some months ago.

Flash Cart interior shots
Official Site pics versus DealExtreme model: Pic showing "stopped production" model most close to DealExtreme's model. From shell design to circuit.
Notable differences:
1) number 6 printed on PCB above gold finger (second from the right) instead of number 8 third from the right on official site.
2) C104 designation written vertically instead of horizontally on official site pic
3) top-right chip has 'bulge' on it, also seems smaller. Also is surrounded by white square with text NT and MT inside it.
4) 'new' production supposedly has the microSD card on the OTHER side. These blister-packed carts should be the new cards, but it's best to confirm with [email protected]

There may be other minor differences but those are the main ones I spotted.

Conclusion?
Send pics to [email protected] and ask if they're real. Do not mention where you bought it. They might say that they're fakes if you mention DealExtreme since DealExtreme were selling fakes with the the 'fake' PCB design and no doubt they have been inundated with 'is this fake' emails in the past, most of which from DealExtreme. Perhaps DealExtreme have changed to legit now, or perhaps they have not and the new carts are just better at cloning the internals than the older ones (the fact that they now seem to use the same number of components is promising).

If nobody sends their internal pics, I will send mine, which, btw, are identical, except for the broken cracked chip in the top-right, which is non-cracked here, otherwise identical
smile.gif

If they say they are fakes, I, for one, am asking for a full refund. I won't tolerate any bold lies because DealExtreme claim they are fully genuine:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613
PS. They are now only shipping in black from DealExtreme, but I expect the PCB to be the same and the MicroSD slot to be aligned the same. Would love confirmation, though.

More news as it comes to hand, I hope. Keep us updated anyone who can add to this.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, after all this time thinking DX were selling geniune DSTT, it would seem we were wrong. They just disguised it better, and there's no real way to know unless you rip the cart apart.

Anyway the last 2 i bought are definate fakes confirmed by the latest fake pics on ndstt.com. Don't know about the others beforehand since they are all running 1.14/1.15 software and are still working fine, so there's no reason to rip them apart to confirm wether it's fake or not, but I bet they are fakes too.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ones shown in the OP appear to be factory defects judging from the "anti fake" page on the ndstt.com website. My guess is that if you get a fake from dealextreme.com it's from old inventory they're trying to unload.

I have to agree with EmperorOfCanada though. Just get an Acekard 2. A better cart for around the same cost and you don't have to worry about whether or not it's a fake or will get destroyed by the firmware.

-Bri

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's some changes on DX:

Now the blister packaged NDSTT is again the real one...

The fake claim to be another manufacturer and is now sold at an amazing low price under the name "CNDSTT".

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got a few things off deal extreme before and never had an issue - and i saw that they had warnings about the fakes so i decided to give it a try - i ordered 10 of them to see and the first one i opened was Fake 5 on the diagrams

It had the correct lables on the card and was glued shut so i had to use extreme force to open it (if you'll excuse the humour there).

Anyway - they all worked ok on my wii , until i tried them on others and bang .. im not too impressed now to be honest.

I had ordered a few more , but i may cancel that order if this isnt resolved and the cards replaced.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night