Not open for further replies.

Pavichokche

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only person who plays a DS(i) and is pissed off that you can't use a WPA2 encrypted network??? I know that the DSi is technically not yet "cracked" and the acekard 2i Im running is only using as much of the memory as it would on a DS (horse SH*T!!!), but if there was to be homebrew made for the people running it off their DSi, it should be made capable of handling these networks!!

It shouldn't be that big of a change, just a little "advanced settings" option like in the DSi settings to enable people running the said program(DS organize/Beup live) to use their WPA/WPA2 network.

And the thing that would be MOST useful is an extra patch in the acekard 2i(and whatever the DSTTi has) that allows somehow the games emulated through it to use the encrypted netwosk.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The software is locked in DS mode.
When in DS mode the DSi cannot use WPA/WPA2.
Period.
Wait for a new flashcard supporting DSi-mode.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Waiting for a new card won't solve it either ... I have no idea why, but WPA functionality doesn't have any effect on previous games... major downside. I hated the lack of WPA from the beginning and haven't used Wifi much because I needed to change everything every time.

I really would like to run to the shop and buy a DSi, but with that annoying "warning screen" and no way to use the DSi funtions in homebrew (2xCPU ... 4xMem) I really can't seem to find a way to justify it :'(
I wouldn't care much about "DSi only" games not being playable as backup for the moment (untill I get too many again
tongue.gif
) ... as long as I can at least still bring my backup DS games and that annoying "bla bla screen" is gone.

Anyways, major FAIL from nintendo imo ... it shouldn't be that hard using a (left over) 66Mhz cpu and 12MB RAM to encrypt WIFI from a game to use WPA. My first impulse was "YEAH... playing Mario Kart without bla bla...using my router with WPA." ...

Only reason to get a DSI now for me is somewhat the browser (a lot faster than the "others"), but mostly the extra Mhz and RAM for homebrew ... And maybe DSi only games, with free demo's we wouldn't even need to search for and download ROMS to see if it is up to all the commercial crap and is save to buy...as in: no shovel ware/crap you'll get bored of in less than a day)!

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
He was talking about the homebrew, so with a new card and re-coded homebrew, WPA/WPA2 will work.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just change network settings to WEP 128bit, then stop your network broadcasting.
And if that's not enough, set it so you have to register MAC addresses. I did that, and now no-one knows I have a wireless network.

Besides DSi sucks.

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
"Besides .. DSi sucks"? There aren't even any real DSi titles out yet, some DSi "wares" titles sure... I wonder what Nintendo was thinking ... especially with adding WPA functionality, but not for DS games. It would have actually be a "mile-pole" for me. On the other hand, twice the CPU (and thus gpu :?) and 4 times the ram surely) opens op a lot of potential for homebrew ... HexenDS in "High" without any slowdown ... 8)

It's weird though ... twice the CPU, but not using it to counter (possible) slowdowns in existing games ... either 1/2 or max?
Meh, I'll wait for custom firmware anywayz ... that "warning screen" was annoying the moment I turned my imported DS on ... and it got even more annoying now.
I wouldn't care much about DSi only titles being able to rub or not (at least...as long as I can use my DS backups on 1 card on it). Seems the DSi would be an easy way to distribute demo's ... so we can avoid all the shovel-ware. Point is, will it be used as such? Probably not ...

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
commdante said:
It's weird though ... twice the CPU, but not using it to counter (possible) slowdowns in existing games
Of course fucking not. It's not a PC, the games aren't built with various setups in mind, they're built for a single setup; a Nintendo goddamn DS. Existing games simply don't take into account increased processor speeds, I'm sure all kinds of timing are based on the known factor of the CPU speed; messing with the CPU speed could screw with any number of things.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wifi code for DS games is hard-coded into each game directly, not stored on the DS. The only thing the DS itself stores is the list of settings (SSID, WEP key, etc). The games themselves do all the work with actually connecting to Wifi. It just seems streamlined and consistent between games because every game must use Nintendo's supplied ARM7 binary, and it's the ARM7 that handles wifi.

In short, there is no possible way to make existing DS games use WPA since they're hardcoded to only use what the DS itself had available in terms of hardware.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because everyone likes secure Wi-Fi and doesn't like l33chers.
It's much more convenient for them to not use the insecure, easily-cracked-in-10-minutes WEP.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HoTsHoT89 said:
wchill said:
Wait for a new flashcard supporting DSi-mode.
Does this mean, that DSi game ROMs will not work on current DSi flashcarts?

Well if you already have a DSi Flashcart, you'll have to wait for ome company to make a break through and make a flashcart that supports DSi Mode. Once that's done, two things could happen.

The people who make your flashcart could update your flashcart's firmware so it has DSi Mode (may not happen). Or they will create a whole new flashcart and sell it to you. (Which is what will most likely happen)

Yah it kinda sucks that they would sell it to you, even if they could just update the firmware, just to get more money.

But don't worry some people are already working on cracking the DSi so that you can play Roms and DSiWare without a flashcart. So just keep your eyes peeled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu