New DS confirmed

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by tinymonkeyt, Oct 2, 2008.

1. DespizingU

DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2007
    United States
    I'm gonna get it. Probably. I play my GBA games on my SP and Micro, so the no GBA slot I don't care about. The internal storage(I wonder if homebrew devs will be able to put that to use), integrated browser, thinner, and bigger screens I do like.

So who knows. I"ll see it when it's available in NA. Probably by the summer, or a little earlier.

2. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Bucharest
    VERY VERY good point! Increasing screen size and keeping res is going to be a disaster. Already the DS doesn't filter its textures so they're all square-ish just what we need more pixels! =\

If they added the RAM into the DS that would inherently mean improving on hardware... humm... but really, screw it. Its main problem is processing power. They mentioned nothing about new games which could only run on the new DS using its "better hardware". Without that mention, what is it really that the new DS can do and my current one can't? Play music? Take pictures? Record film? Aside from the camera my Supercard can do all that, and DS cameras are dirt cheap for sale on DX if I really MUST have one. Nintendo has made a big mistake.

@ "Just ONE touchscreen": two? Seriously why? It'd be overkill.

KendoKhan: Ohmigod you're right... oh jesus there are SO MANY inconsistencies piling up for their new console... I do hope this is a preview prototype because if they send this into production I am NOT buying it ever!

3. KendoKhan

KendoKhan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Well it looks good and i hope this is still compatible with my flash carts, i don't like them ditching the gba expansion slot.... they just inadvertently kicked activison in the balls with you not being able to play guitar hero on this now, or any other game that uses the gba slot like the taito paddle or rummble pack,lol.

I guess this will now push forward the real need for gba emulator for slot 1 cards and hopefully this will be powerful enough to get a good snes emulator out....

but now that it uses sd cards and has some internal memory? couldn't it be possible that some one could just hack the DSi thus killing of the need for any flash cards and ending the pirated card market? ( we cant stop you from downloading our games so we might as well make it so other people cant make cards and profit off of us) of course this is just speculation on my behalf if it is indeed hackable.

whats the "i" stand for?

4. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2008
    They've changed the firmware, it'd be stupid to not block the current carts but they'd have to retain backwards compatibility so the cart encryption should be the same

5. Noitora

Noitora ::

Aug 9, 2007
    Greece
    Athens
    ughh...now I have to sell a lot of stuff to buy this...

6. MrCheco

MrCheco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2008
    Mexico
    Monterrey
    Obviously it is for Apple, kicking them in the nuts. DS sales > Iphone

7. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2008
    Convergent devices. People don't like having to carry 6 different devices to do different things

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2006
    United States
    Seriously? When's the last time you've played a game where you needed diagonals then?

The lack of a GBA slot has me very uninterested in this. DS Ware is cool, but not really that interesting to me. If it has WPA that'd make me much more interested but still, probably not enough for me.

9. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2008
    It would be neat to put your games into the internal memory instead of carrying around several carts. Thats why some people buy flashcarts...

10. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    I think there could be more to the camera than we think.....
    It would be amazing if they release some games (naturally, it would have to be DSi only games) that use all functions of NDS (touchscreen, microphone and camera), that would be full-interactive experience..

And just to point out....Camera CAN be used as a motion sensor!! It's not perfect, but it could be used in some games..

I think that this thing looks interesting, I would just like it more if they redesigned thing a little bit....
    But, lets wait and see if there will be something more about this..

11. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2008
    They'd have to change the wifi chip. Costs too much money, might as well use their stockpile of DS/DSL wifi chips

12. Tigerstar

Tigerstar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I can see two on the pictures. One on the top lid, one in the centre of the hinge. So when the DS is open, you've got one forward-facing camera and one pointing at yourself, rather like mobile phones with dual cameras on (one for photos, one for video calls).

13. decayed.cell

decayed.cell Member

Newcomer
    May 25, 2008
    Its never the end xD

14. Hadrian

Hadrian Everybofy knows badgers like MASH POTATOES!

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    United States
    I'm sure it Activision are happy enough being able to sell the GH games to the millions of DS owners already, and now they can release a new add on, if its possible.

15. Searinox

Searinox Dances with Dragons

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Bucharest
    I just saw... they put the power button WHERE?! Under the cross pad?!

Oh well if they included a music player we might at least be able to expect decent headphones volume... well, YOU might, I'm not getting this thing. =\

16. jpxdude

jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2006
    London UK
    I concur. I thought the power button placement on the DS Phat, was bad, but this just takes the biscuit. [​IMG]

17. wackygoose

wackygoose Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2008
    Brazil
    im starting to think i should have bought an PSP and wait for something like DS2

18. fairuza

fairuza Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2007
    United States
    do you guys think they added wpa/wpa2? can the ds processor handle it?

is the ds hardware powerful enough to emulate a gameboy advance if the emu code if extremely efficient? that lack of slot-2 is a show stopper.

19. Jabcecle

Jabcecle Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2007
    Whats the beef with the power button?

20. Densetsu

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Engrish-free English translation to the Japanese DSi website here.