New Drugs May Extend Our Lifespan to 150 Years

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Aside from overpopulation, people would be obligated to work more years, they will be able to control people a lot more, so that way they don't have to start over so repeatdly.

pubert09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Living longer might be all well and good but you have to think about how your body will deteriorate over that time.
That was my first thought. I think someone would do it, then end up miserable and wanting to die. I guess assisted suicide might be a problem again with that...
If this worked, I wonder if we would adapt to having that long of a life span. Like would we age slower where 20 would be like what 7 is now...hmmmmm....

Why would any one want to live that long? Personally I hope I kick off by 85 or so.
I know, right?!?!
I have told people before that if I ever become old and I can't take care of myself, then just kill me off.
I CANNOT stand the idea of someone having to take care of me. I love being self sufficient.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your desperate to live that long without a Pill be healthy. The Human lifespan can be greater than one hundred if you know how to treat your body.

Only if you're extremely, extremely, extremely lucky. It isn't just "healthiness" that goes into a long life; a lot of genetics factors go into it too.

...aren't we technically playing god.

Personally something about that doesn't seem right, but that's just my thought on the matter, no need to agree with it.

So any medical technology used to enhance the lifespan of people is "playing god"? Yeah, that's an argument I've always had a problem with.

The way I see it, the world is at our disposal, and it is our obligation to use it for the betterment of all of mankind. Of course, like you said, opinions will differ.

kupo3000

Trophies
XP
Country
This has the means of being applicable for space exploration. Not so much right now due to overpopulation issues and irresponsible depletion of resources.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
...aren't we technically playing god.
So any medical technology used to enhance the lifespan of people is "playing god"? Yeah, that's an argument I've always had a problem with.

The way I see it, the world is at our disposal, and it is our obligation to use it for the betterment of all of mankind. Of course, like you said, opinions will differ.
Imagine if GBAtemp existed 700 years ago and someone posted a topic "Bathing may increase lifespan to 60 years" and the people at the time said "That's playing God!"

Flying in the sky? If God had meant for us to fly he would've given us wings! That's playing God!

Sending information at the speed of light across the world? Playing God!

etc. :P

*ON TOPIC*
Like others have already said, your chances of dying of cancer is greater than living to 100, let alone 150. It would be pointless to live that long if the quality of life is so horrible that you want to die anyway. Now if we could find a definitive cure for cancer, that would be another story.

Drink red wine. Resveratrol is the active ingredient that makes it good for you.

Velotix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ohh! We are going to need very good population control if this happens. I'll vote for constant wars so we weed out everything. Then we Akumetsu the rich..... Then when the population gets to big again....

Man I'm crazed right now.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Can't you guys read?

You're all worrying about potential side effects and such. This is a chemical found in grape skin. Scientists have suggested that it is why the life expectancy of the French has historically been so high. If this is bad for you then so is concord grapes.

Also I read about this in a science magazine yeears ago. They've probably made progress on testing it since then, but this is hardly new news.

Still, I would be excited to extend my own life span a touch. I'm not a fan of death, personally.

Grawly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're all worrying about potential side effects and such. This is a chemical found in grape skin. Scientists have suggested that it is why the life expectancy of the French has historically been so high. If this is bad for you then so is concord grapes.
ITS FOUND IN NATURE GUYS THAT MEANS ITS COMPLETELY SAFE
ITS ALL NATURAL

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
ITS FOUND IN NATURE GUYS THAT MEANS ITS COMPLETELY SAFE
ITS ALL NATURAL
strawman.png

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will this affect fetuses and embryos; will pregnancy take 18 months on average until birth?
This->: "which works by stopping or slowing down the genes that cause aging."
I don't think reproducing has much to do with aging.(except for the egg thing)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
does it make one more healthy too? i mean, i can grasp that something might be able to slow down the termination of cells, but will it also keep the immune system running high too? or will we just look younger but get sick more and more?

i wonder if they even checked that on mice... they are usually kept very sterile in tests of any sort, so that random pathogenes wont disturb the tests.
i sure are hell dont want to have the sick years to take too long...

also... i mean, do we really need to live longer? do we really want this generation to stay for another 50 years? there is hardly any world left for us, and we want them to have even more time to take the rest? no.
allow the intelligent, the true inventors and, should there ever be, the fair and just leaders have a few sips, but everyone else, no.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just with diet and healthcare alone we've managed to double our life expectancy and it is still rising (you gotta be 70 to be considered "young old" now) adding a pill is just overkill at this point (pardon the pun)

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will this affect fetuses and embryos; will pregnancy take 18 months on average until birth?
This->: "which works by stopping or slowing down the genes that cause aging."
I don't think reproducing has much to do with aging.(except for the egg thing)

I'm pretty sure the genes of the parents get passed down to the child and the mother's blood runs though the baby's blood on top of you start as a sperm and grow into a new born baby. Everything in there says reproducing is affected by aging =P

A person is not randomly born, when they reach a certain growth and criteria it's natural for the egg to burst and thus out comes a baby.

----

Not many people are worrying about side effects, most people are explaining possible hindsight that may come from it. The average lifespan is like 75 years old. If they are talking about someone living to be 150, they aren't talking about eat a couple of these a day, they are talking about highly concentrated stuff.

Besides, I doubt I would want to live past 40; any chance of tripling that yet almost quadrupling that age is just asking for an unnatural death.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude man at this rate im gonna die young anyways (type 2 diabeties and high colesterol not to mention bi polar and a late blooming love life) im trying to get healthier but i have no motivation

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude man at this rate im gonna die young anyways (type 2 diabeties and high colesterol not to mention bi polar and a late blooming love life) im trying to get healthier but i have no motivation

Late blooming love life means you are going to live longer.
Besides, being bi-polar you should be unsure whether or not your next moment you will have motivation or not.

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so like, how will they actually be able to legitimately measure the effect of the drug until the test subject actually exceeds 150 years old? lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop opening pms from @Psionic Roshambo