Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive already purchased all the parts, just waiting for the case to come back which had to be replaced due to shipping damage ...

anyway specs are:
case= Apevia X-Discovery (Silver)
psu= ZUMAX X3 ZU-550W
mobo= Gigabyte UD3P P45
cpu= Intel Core2Duo E7300
ram= OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800
gpu= HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5
hdd= Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAII
hdd= Seagate 80GB IDE (OS hdd, dual boot XP Pro + Vista Ultimate)
hdd= Seagate 160GB IDE
fdd= Bytecc 1.44MB Floppy Drive
odd= Sony DVD-RW 16x IDE
odd= Sony DVD-ROM 16x IDE
misc= Linkskey 52-in-1 Card Reader
misc= AOC 5.25 Bay Storage Box
misc= OkGear 18" Blue UV Rounded IDE Cable (x2)
misc= Link Depot 10" Blue UV Rounded Floppy Cable
misc= Rosewill IDE+SATA PCI Controller Card

here are some pics from the items I have right now
will update as when I get the case, probably a finished build pic...
(click on them to make them bigger)

radeon 4870 box

4870 card

rear of 4870 card (black painted bracket, gold coated dvi connectors)

inside box of 4870 (tons and tons of extras)

ram, hdd, and cpu

fdd, storage box, card reader, and ide+sata controller

rounded blue uv cables

front of mobo box

back of mobo box

inside mobo box

included extra's

manuals

mobo

mobo rear panel

dvd-rw drive 1 box

dvd-rom drive 2 box

psu box

thats it for now

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ur first build
wink.gif
?

One thing I feel I really need to mention: when installing the CPU heatsink, be gentle. Socket 775 has the worst design I have seen followed close second with some archaic AMD socket (A I think). You have to push down 4 pins which are tough as hell.

Anyway when installing the heatsink, aside from working ESD secure (get an arm bracelet and make sure you are connected to ground!!), make sure you give enough counter force around the hole you are trying to put the pin in. Make VERY sure you do NOT bend the board!! Same goes for the memory though to a lesser extent. Also install the CPU + heatsink before putting the board inside the case, works much better.

==
A little further on when you have everything inside the machine, you might also want to tweak your memory timings a little as they are probably off (SPD's tend to be set pretty bad to ensure compatibility). If you are going to overclock (damn these babies do that well, no multiplier increases though) then make sure you kinda know what you are doing
tongue.gif
. Especially on the 45nm models you need to be gentler with the voltages (especially FSB voltage). Ah yes, that was another thing that was pretty high on my gigabyte EP45-DS3R, the automatically set voltage. Nothing serious though...

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
juggernaut911 said:
Why so much IDE?! Upgrade the upgrades
The discs he still has are probably older hence on IDE. No need to remove them especially if he has another controller for them.

One thing though considering the discs. Might I suggest you not install on your 80GB IDE disc? Why not install on the sata disc instead which is probably a lot faster (try it with HDtune).

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Ur first build
wink.gif
?

One thing I feel I really need to mention: when installing the CPU heatsink, be gentle. Socket 775 has the worst design I have seen followed close second with some archaic AMD socket (A I think). You have to push down 4 pins which are tough as hell.

Anyway when installing the heatsink, aside from working ESD secure (get an arm bracelet and make sure you are connected to ground!!), make sure you give enough counter force around the hole you are trying to put the pin in. Make VERY sure you do NOT bend the board!! Same goes for the memory though to a lesser extent. Also install the CPU + heatsink before putting the board inside the case, works much better.

==
A little further on when you have everything inside the machine, you might also want to tweak your memory timings a little as they are probably off (SPD's tend to be set pretty bad to ensure compatibility). If you are going to overclock (damn these babies do that well, no multiplier increases though) then make sure you kinda know what you are doing
tongue.gif
. Especially on the 45nm models you need to be gentler with the voltages (especially FSB voltage). Ah yes, that was another thing that was pretty high on my gigabyte EP45-DS3R, the automatically set voltage. Nothing serious though...

I guess you could say that, first custom build with actually up to date hardware anyway
all my computers have been taken out of the trash and fixed, parts replaced ect...

Yea, I heard all the horror storys about how bad installation of the HSF was XD
I will give it a shot and see how it goes
though this board has 2oz of copper in it making it less easy to bend

also the case has a removable motherboard tray which is also great

first thing would be to fix memory voltages so theres no problems with boot up, thats the only I would be worried about first

Scorpei said:
juggernaut911 said:
Why so much IDE?! Upgrade the upgrades
The discs he still has are probably older hence on IDE. No need to remove them especially if he has another controller for them.

One thing though considering the discs. Might I suggest you not install on your 80GB IDE disc? Why not install on the sata disc instead which is probably a lot faster (try it with HDtune).
you got it
Ive been using those IDE hard drives
already have them
same for the dvd drives
got them over 2 years ago

I might dump the 80GB IDE and just install on the 160GB, but I got the dual boot on the 80GB working perfect
I can just reinstall vista and the XP install will still be fine

the 500GB will just be used for storage
I would have gotten another sata drive but they start at $40 for like 80GB and I got the 500GB for $55
pointless to waste money when I already have drives

QUOTE(Salamantis @ Jan 3 2009, 03:04 PM)
How much did all of it cost (total)?
$700

would have been cheaper but opted on a bit of extra stuff
like storage box, rounded cables, card reader, controller card, and floppy drive

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, once you get used to installing the LGA775 pushpin heatsinks, it isn't too bad.. Just make sure you're doing it outside the case, and pushing them in two at a time (diagnally), until you hear the initial click and a second, more subtle click.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You're clueless and have no idea what you're doing.

Kinda like I was with my first build, but I was 13.

Enjoy your crappy parts, limited upgrades and compatibility headaches.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taza said:
You're clueless and have no idea what you're doing.

Kinda like I was with my first build, but I was 13.

Enjoy your crappy parts, limited upgrades and compatibility headaches.
do you have to troll in every computer thread on here?

thats the only posts I ever see you make

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I don't do no trollin', that's my honest opinion.

I probably know more than the rest of the forum here together, and I can tell you you're going to regret buying those parts if you ever try doing anything more advanced - or heck, regret buying them anyway if you learn anything about building computers.

I mean, a separate IDE/SATA controller, and a Rosewell to boot? A bad brand 550w power as opposed to a good brand 500w 80plus? HIS Radeon HD 4870? OCZ ram with that motherboard?

OCZ is a bit overkill, that's all. The rest however? Garbage. I wouldn't stick them to my good computer if I got 'em for free.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just from that post I really doubt you know much at all.

I dont see a problem with adding another ide controller card, board only comes with one (and it will also allow me to flash my 360 ) and I already have a boat load of ide devices lying here doing nothing.
Ive already tested it and worked great, didnt even need to setup anything, hooked up my main hard drive and salve and detected and booted by its self, no difference from using a built in ide controller.

I do not understand at all when you wrote "OCZ ram with that motherboard?"
The motherboard too, its pretty much the top rated P45 motherboard in the price range.
ASUS has been putting out complete garbage these last couple of years so had to find a new brand.
Furthermore the ram not overkill at all, its just basic DDR2-800 ram, I have no idea why you think its overkill...

The 4870 was a steal at $199, price vs performance ratio compared to nvidia's cards, GTX260 is about $40 more expensive and the 4870 beats its so the choice was obvious.

You are right on the PSU though, it was $40 after the $30 instant discount (reason why I bought it, if it was normal price I would have just payed $5 more and went with a OCZ psu), it already works from what ive tested but I will see how it does under stress, im gonna will take a chance on it, sometimes you find great value in cheap stuff. If it lasts a year I will be satisfied with it and the price I paid for it.

I think you should actually research the parts before coming in here and coming in here and calling them all garbage because it obvious you didn't

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I actually have.

Asus mobos are garbage, so you pick a Gigabyte? You could do worse but...

And frankly, have you seen the return rates on those cards? The heat generation? The driver problems? And then you go and pick HIS as a brand?

Adorable, but you're completely clueless.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Chicks (Taza) and Bros (JOE!!!!), plz ke3p ur pantz on plz okay? plz

Joe88, you are getting some constructive criticism here, and some non constructive criticism...

Taza, grow a pair. he doesn't want your "help" (just not spelling that in 1337 is pushing it...
ph34r.gif
). All your doing is wining and saying what sucks. you don't offer any "solutions".

PS: latest GBAtemp Recommends in my avatar!
biggrin.gif

PPPPPPPPPPPPS: Hi Linki

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taza just dont post in the thread anymore

you embarrassed your self once
and you seem to wanting to embarrass your self more from your new comment
Im not gonna respond to it, you have no idea what you are talking about then you try to act superior and all knowing:
Taza said:
I probably know more than the rest of the forum here together
lol

take your biased/fanboy/uneducated/trolling/ect... comments and just leave

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Sinkhead said:
Taza, if you have problems with his build, please post what YOU suggest, otherwise your post is worthless and serves only to put people in a bad mood.

Frankly, he's already bought the parts, so there is not much more to do other than to laugh at him.

Imaginary setup that's actually decent:

Core 2 Duo E8400
2x2gb Kingston ValueRAM 800mhz DDR2
XFX or Asus GeForce 9800GT
Asus P5Q
A 500w Nexus, Antec or FSP Group 80plus power
500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATAII HDD

And parts of preference:
Samsung Superwritemaster
Nexus Catepillar Silent System

Amusingly enough, my own system looks close to that, even if some parts have been upgraded from what was for sale back when I built this one. Everything there has a justification.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those are just parts in your computer
this is exactly what I thought

anyone who doesnt buy the exact same parts or brand as you is a n00b to you
well guess what, not everyone has the same taste as you, likes the same brands, wants more bang for buck value (which I was after)

I got exactly what I wanted and im happy so far
I have yet to test gfx, mobo, ram, card reader yet
but everything else works great and exactly the way I want, no problems
I got a dam nice looking case (If I do say so my self), a great and powerful gfx card that will last years to come, a good motherboard with tons of extra features (for the price those features shouldn't even be included), a nice cpu that was cheap and yet has great extra value once oc'd, at least 2GB of good ram, an ok PSU that had a really good sale on (already stated I would take a chance on it), and a bunch of other extra's to make this a great build for me

go troll in a different thread is you really need too
you are just a thorn in everybody's side here
just repeating the same thing over again
all your parts are garbage, all my parts are better, I know more then everybody else here, I laugh at you
even after you were warned by a mod you still decided to troll
just gtfo

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Taza said:
Sinkhead said:
Taza, if you have problems with his build, please post what YOU suggest, otherwise your post is worthless and serves only to put people in a bad mood.
Frankly, he's already bought the parts, so there is not much more to do other than to laugh at him.

Imaginary setup that's actually decent:

Core 2 Duo E8400
2x2gb Kingston ValueRAM 800mhz DDR2
XFX or Asus GeForce 9800GT
Asus P5Q
A 500w Nexus, Antec or FSP Group 80plus power
500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATAII HDD

And parts of preference:
Samsung Superwritemaster
Nexus Catepillar Silent System

Amusingly enough, my own system looks close to that, even if some parts have been upgraded from what was for sale back when I built this one. Everything there has a justification.
D: Man, I won't side with you even though you stated almost my exact build...
laugh.gif

I don't have a preference for brands (just quality and cheap). The only parts that I care for appearances are cases.

Some useful steps to build a rig, you need to know what you want. If it's gaming, do you want a Crysis Tank Rig (I know that sounds stupid, just made it up...) or a nice rig that can handle games without slide shows on human settings? From there, get your budget, find a couple decent parts and read reviews for them. Cut out the unaffordable parts and you usually have a rig!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...