[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
right now its at 1.120v

it also seems it underclocked its self to x6 mult running 1.5ghz (an easy fix)
im just gonna push it to 3ghz and see how it does

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The fact that it is running lower (6x) is because of speedstepping. The c2d lowers itself so that it uses less power and generates less heat. Whenever you do something that needs more power you should see it jump back up to 10x. 1.120V is pretty nice though
smile.gif

Anyway, when you start OC-ing, make sure you keep all voltages under your control. The gigabyte motherboards aren't that nice when it comes to voltage setting (dunno 'bout other brands). If you leave it on auto and simply increase the speeds you will fry the proc.

Anyway only change one variable at once and make sure not to increase voltages too much, again especially since you have a 45nm proc. That is ESPECIALLY true for the FSB voltage.
If you want to check if your system is stable run orthos or prime95 for a few hours. As soon as you get an error you know your system is unstable.

Also your memory scales when you change the FSB speed (they are locked to eachother with a ratio, you can however change that ratio around a little). So when your system becomes unstable that could also be because of an unintended memory overclock (when you've changed the FSB and didn't keep the memory at the stock level or lower clock).

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
geishroy said:
Stock intel heatsink/fan on that processor? Stock thermal paste?
Probably. Not that much of a problem though as long as you don't go too far with the voltages
wink.gif
. A yes forgot to mention that installing speedfan to keep an eye on the temps is a good idea
tongue.gif

Also when running orthos the CPU get's slighly hotter then it gets during normal use (a few degrees C), but is still good to keep that as your configuration value to make sure you never go too high
smile.gif

Great guide for the max temps:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745...mperature-guide

Where yours apparently is:
QUOTE-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30-- Cool
In scale 1.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it running right now @ 3.2ghz, 1600 bus, 1.295v
seems stable, no problems

the cpu temp is at 43C on stock HSF

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
43 degrees is nice if you're running orthos, what voltages are you giving it? Still at the stock FSB I assume?

Also, Tcase is influinced by your motherboard. It's better not to trust / use it (unless you don't suspect that value to be off)
tongue.gif
. Using Tjunctions is better, as long as those are not stuck (use realtemp to check).

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cpu is at 1.295v right now
not gonna push it anymore, dropped it back to 3ghz since its the stock HSF

working on ocing the gpu
800core and 1000mem
fan speed at 40%
43-45C idle, 55-65C load

also hooked up the temp prob that came with the case to the back of the gfx card to monitor temp
its pretty accurate, pretty much matches what it says in CCC and in other programs

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Joe88 said:
Don't know how steep that is for 45nm procs. Anyway, do you have your FSB OC-ed for that 3GHz? If not I'd try upping that
smile.gif
. Hitting the 1600MHz mark shouldn't be too hard (with stock FID voltage). After that memory is a nice thing to tweak (timings and clocks). 50MHz on your video card is fun but not all that usefull (7% isn't that much) *yet*
smile.gif
. I think that would best be left until you start needing it
smile.gif

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Temps look good. And frankly, so will they continue to do as long as you use your compressed air regularly. Make sure to clean the CPU sink completely, it tends to accumulate grime under the fan. Nvidia GPUs less so, dunno about ATI's.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scorpei said:
Joe88 said:
Don't know how steep that is for 45nm procs. Anyway, do you have your FSB OC-ed for that 3GHz? If not I'd try upping that
smile.gif
. Hitting the 1600MHz mark shouldn't be too hard (with stock FID voltage). After that memory is a nice thing to tweak (timings and clocks). 50MHz on your video card is fun but not all that usefull (7% isn't that much) *yet*
smile.gif
. I think that would best be left until you start needing it
smile.gif

CCC will only let me go up to that
I can push the mem to 1100, it caused massive artifacting in the OS, so I will leave the mem at 1000

ati tool should be able to push it more

FSB is at 1600 right now

also 3dmark06 score

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
14k in 3dmark06 now

51664677.jpg

a DX10 performance test

80109891.jpg

and general (GPU-z wont pick up the vid card OC for some reason...)

14084049.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-