Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To commemmorate getting my first credit card (with a $500 limit, oh boy oh boy) I decided to order some new PC parts I have been desparately wanting.

Today, I recieved:

EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti Superclocked - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130610
Corsair H50 - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835181010

They do not disappoint. This is moving up from a BFG Tech GeForce 8800GT Overclocked (factory) and the stock cooler for my AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition. Stock cooler wasn't bad, but... yeah.

As far as the card goes, I recently modded Morrowind to hell and back. More texture, model, icon, and mesh replacements than you care to imagine. Made the game go from looking like the 2003 game it was to something out of 2009 or 2010. It's fucking amazing. You wouldn't even be able to tell it's the same game. Well, since I topped it off with activating Distant Lands with Morrowind Graphics Extender, my FPS ate shit. My 8800GT was maxing at 9FPS if I was lucky. Without changing a setting, the GTX560Ti took it up to 24+. I know, still not great, but considering everything I've done to this game...

Better things to compare against - Metro 2033. On the 8800, I had to play on Low graphics settings (and turn some settings even lower) and disable PhysX to get a playable framerate. The 560, however... full Ultra + PhysX... without a single stutter. Downloading Just Cause 2 again because I had an even worse time with that.

The Corsair cooler has made my rig so much quieter. Under low load, the fan on the 560 is surprisingly quiet. The intake fan that the Corsair came with is very quiet, and the cooler itself makes a very very faint hum. Turned my top exhaust fan to low and one of my hard drive intakes to low (the other is on medium).

So, my build now:
MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb Black Edition @3.6ghz (up from 3.2)
3x2gb DDR3 RAM by Mushkin Enhanced (don't remember the timings or latency off hand, but it's not bad)
EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti Superclocked
Corsair H50 Cooler
RocketFish modular gaming PSU @650w (blue LED fan :O)

Optiarc DVD-ROM drive, LG/Lite-ON DVD+/-RW/RAM drive
2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB @RAID1
1x WD Caviar 1TB (split in two for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Windows 8 Dev-Preview which I don't even use anymore)
1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB (I don't even store anything on this...)

Vizio 26" LCD TV (primary, HDMI), Hannspree 22" LCD Monitor (secondary, DVI)

Cyborg RAT9 mouse on a Cyborg GLIDE 7 pad
Cyborg v7 Gaming Keyboard

Random Cambridge Soundworks speakers
Logitech G330 headset
Wicked Audio "Reverb" headphones
Trusty XBL Vision camera (for Skype).

And, of course, hooked to the TV: Xbox (500Gb hdd with nDure), Xbox 360 (Xenon), Wii (4.3, postloader2 and CFG Loader, and NeoGamma for my GC backups), PS2 (FMCB), Sega Genesis, N64.

Am I justified in never leaving my room? I jsut need a Bluray burner for my PC now and I will be DONE.

Just Cause 2... same thing. Completely maxed, no problem. Now for GTA IV and I'll be convinced.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to hate on your build, but also congrats.

In my opinion, the H50 was not worth it, $10 more and you get an H80 which nets you higher performance. Also, I am confused why you are using 3 sticks of memory on a dual channel motherboard. I would have gotten a better PSU, but that's up to you. Everything else seems okay, other than buying a blu-ray drive, but you can do what you want. Also, get an SSD for a boot, you'll benefit more from it since it seems like you store everything else on separate drives.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even look at the other coolers. A friend of mine recommended the H50 having used it himself and had nothing but praise for it.

3 sticks because back when I got it this is what I got. The RAM, when I got it, was around $95 for the pack a year and a half ago. I think 4 sticks was around $130. Obviously, prices have gone down by now, but for the time being the 6 gigs works fine.

And with the PSU, it was a spur of the moment decision. Came home one day and my PSU had burned out (literally), so I quick ran out to Best Buy and got whatever one was decent enough that I could afford with the little money I had at the time. I think it was $85, and anything higher was just rediculously more expensive. Had I had time to actually think and order one, I would have likely gotten an 800.

Bluray burner - cheaper than a stand alone blu ray player or a PS3.

SSD - thats on the very back burner right now. I don't suffer much in the way of slowdowns on my OS so when the price drops considerably lower on those, I'll think about it. For now I am happy with how this runs :B

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands