Gaming Building a new computer

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO , you won't be earning the needed money instantly .
it never hurt to stay up to date with the computer part news . once Bulldozer is released , Intel might have cheaper priced CPUs depending on how Bulldozer is against Intel's .

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with all those fans that case sounds like it would be on the loud side, my old case had that many and it sounded like a heli was taking off in my room, so i went with liquid cooling so much quieter

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
My Antec 1200 has 6x120mm fans and a 200mm fan on top. I usually keep it on the lowest speed with the built in speed dials, and turn it up to medium only when I'm playing graphically intensive games. Generally, it's not that loud, although I do keep it under the desk so that might help somewhat.

Liquid cooling? Certainly a very good option for those who can afford it, and aren't scared of the two possible flaws/dangers that come with it - leaks, and bubbles.

Also, for Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer... Bulldozer is expected to be 50-80% stronger than previous AMD CPUs (more cores, less of an improvement). Lynnfield/Bloomfield was already 30% stronger than equivolent AMDs and Sandy Bridge is 40% stronger than that. Considering that AMD has a history of weak CPUs (and strong GPUs) against Intel's history of strong CPUs (and weak GPUs), it'll be interesting to see how they measure up. That said, Bulldozer doesn't work the same way as Sandy Bridge. Instead of Having each core with HyperThreading, Bulldozer will just have a "module" (which should be the same thing - two threads per module - only with less shared resource conflicts so less loss in performance).

It'll be interesting.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rogue_Syst3m said:
with all those fans that case sounds like it would be on the loud side, my old case had that many and it sounded like a heli was taking off in my room, so i went with liquid cooling so much quieter

The case is actually really quiet even with the fans on mas speed, I've already seen this beauty in action
happy.gif

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Liquid cooling is really for those who plan to OC. A high quality air cooling will always beat a mid-quality liquid cooling.

You should focus on GPU the most, since you said you do intensive gaming/rendering. I notice that you pick GTX 470. While it has higher performance and more OC freedom, it draws significantly more power at peak and produces a lot of heat (100W more heat) compare to Radeon HD 6870. If you don't OC you should give 6870 a look, usually 6870 is cheaper than 470. If you do OC than go with 470, but make sure you have a good air flow (possibly getting a slot fan to assist it).

RealGoneKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I didnt read all the posts just the first page, but I haven't heard you or anyone else mention peripherals such as SATA cables. Another 2 are thermal paste remover and purifier, just in case stock cooler comes pre compounded, otherwise no point buying the arctic silver thermal paste. I notice that you have 600w PSU, I know it says SLI certified but a lot of people would say 650w was bare minimum for SLI or Crossfire especially with higher end 1GB + cards using 8 port dual power cables, Just my opinion, but if you ever decide to go with dual graphics cards you could run into problems, Another thing to have handy are Molex splitters, u never know when you might wand to power something up and SATA power really only caters for HDD's and CD/DVD Drives.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the motherboard already comes with 4 sata cables

he is buying a third part hsf so you dont the cleaner and purifier

RealGoneKid

Trophies
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
the motherboard already comes with 4 sata cables

he is buying a third part hsf so you dont the cleaner and purifier
OK, fair point....4 SATA cables, I have only seen 2 in my experience so was just saying it doesn't hurt to have a few around for expansion. I suppose it may be wasteful to clean and purify a heatsink before installing if it doesn't need it, but I just like to know it has been done properly, The correct application of thermal compound is by far the most important process to ensure proper dissipation of heat from the CPU. At a small cost for the 2 bottles of liquid to ensure this, I think it's worth the money and time to clean the parts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la