Hacking New 3DS system update 7.2.0-17

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
is nintendo finally starting his counter-offence on gateway?
it was about time...
Technically they did like 5 months ago with the release of 7.x, it's just that it takes this long for those kind of changes to affect apps and games.

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly we should wait for some kind of response from gateway to see how this impacts them. For all we know it might be an easy fix

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly we should wait for some kind of response from gateway to see how this impacts them. For all we know it might be an easy fix
Highly unlikely. If it was an easy fix, they would have done it ages ago, considering it's the same issue as things like Pokebank.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

If it's not an easy fix I hope they answer this by email at least, or else i'm expecting a 1-3 month wait for a new gateway update on their site again :P

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let's say that GW releases a 7.2 eshop fix... will I have to rebuild/update the emunand to use eshop? If yes, then how do I preserve the eshop games I bought? Please be specific as to exactly how one does this properly.

Reason I ask is because I bought some eshop games on 6.x emunand, and after updating to 7.0 emunand, I lost them all.
They were NOT re-downloadable in the eshop! (Still had the same Nintendo ID account linked) So please don't say "Just re-download" because I don't trust that anymore, and I don't want to keep buying eshop games I already actually bought! :-P

Tylarion

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My retail copy of Pokemon Y just arrived about an hour ago, so I updated to get the patch, only to find eshop and system settings not responding in emunand. My MT-card still works though.

I wonder if this update still allows me to use the retail card to play online(if I even manage to update the game), since that is the reason I bought it.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My retail copy of Pokemon Y just arrived about an hour ago, so I updated to get the patch, only to find eshop and system settings not responding in emunand. My MT-card still works though.

I wonder if this update still allows me to use the retail card to play online(if I even manage to update the game), since that is the reason I bought it.

Since you cannot get into the eShop to download the patches, you will not be able to go online to trade or battle since Patch 1.2 was designed to nuke BattleAnalyzer. You will be limited to trading/battling with local players only.

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to ask can you write out a step by step outline of what it was that you did to get it working?
You have to have a USB Mod to get it to work. I'm using the one that aliak11 made for me.

1. Plug it in to sd card slot or adapter on your computer and turn it on. The 3DS screen may stay black or have a blue error screen. This is normal.
2. When it's recognized by the computer, it'll ask if you want to format. DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T do this. Just cancel.
3. Download win32diskimager, point it to the 3ds device drive, then click read. This will dump your onboard nand. It'd be a very good idea to dump more than one and check the hash info to make sure they're the same, so that you got an accurate dump. EDIT: Safely remove your 3ds and turn off before your remove your onboard SD card and plug it it, we'll be playing with its EMUnand partition now.
4. Use emunand tool to extract the emunand.bin from your emunand partition into a readable file. Again, do more than one and check your hashes. EDIT: When you're done, safely remove your SD card, put it back into your 3DS. Then plug your 3ds back into your computer MAKE SURE TO HIT CANCEL ON THE WINDOWS FORMAT PROMPT.
5. We'll take this emunand.bin into win32diskimager, then click write to write back to the 3DS. After doing this, right click that drive to safely eject. Then hold down the power on your 3ds, and the blue light will eventually turn off.
6. When you reboot, you should be on 7.1 or whatever the emunand was on your onboard. Go ahead and update to 7.2 and get whatever you want back.
7. After your done, turn off the 3DS. Plug it back into the computer and turn on MAKE SURE NOT TO HIT FORMAT ON THE PROMPT AGAIN.
8. Win32diskimager, click read to dump your 7.2 nand. Then write back your 4.5 nand to the onboard nand. EDIT: Safely remove your 3DS, turn it off, then plug in the onboard SD card into your computer.
9. Use the emunand tool to import your 7.2 nand into the emunand partition.
10. EDIT: Safely remove your SD card, put it in your 3ds. Withe verything done, it should be back on 4.5. And when you load gateway, you'll have a 7.2 emunand with your patches or whatever you got on it. Enjoy.

b17bomber

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what did you? were you able to fix the eshop and settings crashing??
No, even though the eshop's latest info will be on your sd card, the program will still use the 7.0 keys, so when you put it back to emunand, it'll freeze as before. This is if you wanted to grab something from the shop and put it back on your emunand.

Edit: I edited my guide above to be more precise.

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
I just updated my emunand a few days ago and was tinkering with e-shop. I'm not sure if i got all of the game updates, is there any way to check the stuff i got from e-shop w/o going to e-hop?:rolleyes:

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just updated my emunand a few days ago and was tinkering with e-shop. I'm not sure if i got all of the game updates, is there any way to check the stuff i got from e-shop w/o going to e-hop?:rolleyes:

Online won't work without the updates installed. So if you have a game with online features and an update available, play the game online. If it works, you have the update. If it doesn't work, you don't have the update.

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Online won't work without the updates installed. So if you have a game with online features and an update available, play the game online. If it works, you have the update. If it doesn't work, you don't have the update.

Meh, i'm too lazy do inject one of my headers to one of those games and try :P Well, guess i'll know when and if gateway fixes this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT