Hardware New 3DS Motherboard replacement?

LabregoPT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hey all

I recently bought an european New 3DS (non XL model) from a guy that sold it to me for like 91 USD. The console is on 11.7.0 and it seems to have faulty hardware. To start with, the console works mostly fine, running Luma v10.2.1 and boot9strap installed. It also plays 3DS software, GBA and SNES virtual console and DS Mode software mosly fine, but some with problems. These are some of the problems that I have found so far with the console:
- Wireless communication is permanently enabled. I already tried turning it off with the quick menu from the Home Menu, from Rosalina and using the Start+D-Pad combination when pressing Home on DS Mode.
- Although Wireless is permanently enabled, the console doesn't recognize any kind of WiFi network nearby. I haven't tried DS Wireless Communiction nor 3DS Wireless Communication since I don't have another console to test, but I guess they both would fail too.
- Sometimes, when I open up something from the Home Menu, the console just freezes and I have to force a power off. When this happens, the Home Menu theme's music keeps playing, though.
- When running 3DS Software, closing the lid (putting it in sleep mode) and then opening it up again doesn't wake the console from sleep. Blue light is still turned on afterwards, and only option is to fore a power off.
- Running any of the Gen IV Pokémon games via Twilight Menu gets me up until the main menu, and flashes the main menu screen for a split second before showing a screen that states a Communication Error happened, after which it restarts the game and continues the cycle.

I'm guessing this all comes from a faulty Wireless module, since that's what most people tell others with similar problems as me on the forums. My guess would be to perform a motherboard swap would help, but it's hard to come by a motherboard for this model. Do you guys think the motherboard swap would help? If so, where do you guys recommend I get it?

Thanks for the help

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you replace the main motherboard, I would suggest you try a few things first. First, if your touch screen has a screen protector, remove it. If your system still malfunctions, open it up and make sure the cables inside the system are all seated properly.

If you know how to microsolder electronics, you could reflow the pins on the wifi chip and see if that is the solution. As a last resort, if you know how to microsolder, you could remove the wifi chip off the board and see if the system will boot up. If nothing works, you may need a new motherboard.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, could be the sd card slot is faulty, though doesn't explain why the wireless communication is permanently on. But i know that if it's the motherboard you get a permanent freeze, but honestly you can never know.

Sirius1428

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think you should inmediately replace the motherboard, first you should try to see if there is any kind of phisical damage on the wi fi module, which is very likely to be causing most of the problems here, try cleaning it with alcohol and see if that works, you could also try resoldering it if you can. As for the sleep feature, that seems to be caused by a bad connected flexor (usually it can be the camera flex, or the 3d flex) so check if those are properly connected, you can also disconnect them and clean the connector with alcohol, then reconnect amd see if that works.
If the wi-fi just doesn't seem to work then I would go for the motherboard replacement but only as a last resource

Last edited by Sirius1428,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill