Gaming New 3DS Browser Info: No Adobe Flash!

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
I'm just saying that to comfort myself.

I have a strong feeling that the NGP will overthrow the 3DS now...

You make it sound like you somehow expect Sony to have HTML5 and Flash on the NGP. Which they won't. Even Apple won't pay Adobe to use Flash, so why would Nintendo or Sony? Hell, you don't even get a freakin' browser of any kind on the Xbox 360.

These are games consoles. They play games and have limited multimedia capabilities, too. If you want a fully functionining browser with Flash and HTML5 - go buy a device that focuses on multimedia and has limited games capabilities, too. Anyone that actually expects a video games console to have a browser that rivals a PC's has really no idea why you turn on games consoles in the first place.

QUOTE(ItsMetaKnight @ Jun 2 2011, 01:58 PM) Why is Nintendo creating ugly flash sites while their browsers don't support them. This is bullshit.

You're meant to view their "ugly flash sites" on a computer. You're meant to play games on their consoles, not surf the web. The browsers are only there for light use, like going on GameFAQs or updating your Twitter.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
ItsMetaKnight said:
Why is Nintendo creating ugly flash sites while their browsers don't support them. This is bullshit.
I found one flash on the Nintendo.co.jp site.
Not exactly a flash site.

3DS browser isn't supposed to be for flash though, it's just a quick fix for Twitter/Facebook/Guides sort of thing.

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ItsMetaKnight said:
Why is Nintendo creating ugly flash sites while their browsers don't support them. This is bullshit.

I was thinking the exact same thing
mellow.gif

There might be a possibility of them updating the browser to enable HTML5 and maybe even Flash...

Honestly they could create a App were you watch Youtube videos and it opens up in their own video player.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

You make it sound like you somehow expect Sony to have HTML5 and Flash on the NGP. Which they won't. Even Apple won't pay Adobe to use Flash, so why would Nintendo or Sony? Hell, you don't even get a freakin' browser of any kind on the Xbox 360.

These are games consoles. They play games and have limited multimedia capabilities, too. If you want a fully functionining browser with Flash and HTML5 - go buy a device that focuses on multimedia and has limited games capabilities, too. Anyone that actually expects a video games console to have a browser that rivals a PC's has really no idea why you turn on games consoles in the first place.
One opposes that the 3DS is noobz and NGP will have everything expected,
the other opposes saying that these are gaming consoles and not Internet devices.

Fine, enough already. You know what? We should already appreciate the fact that the 3DS has a free web browser. The 360 doesn't even have it. No flash or HTML5? it's okay, as long as it's not buggy like the DSi version, it's absolutely okay. I really appreciate that Nintendo actually used the ACCESS NetFront browser already.
smile.gif

EDIT: as long as I can post anything on GBAtemp with my 3DS, I will already be on cloud nine. I really hope for a YouTube app though.
laugh.gif

And to those who hope for flash/HTML5 in a firmware update, just curious... is that even possible?
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

tajio said:
ItsMetaKnight said:

mellow.gif

There might be a possibility of them updating the browser to enable HTML5 and maybe even Flash...

Honestly they could create a App were you watch Youtube videos and it opens up in their own video player.
It's not that, even. Nintendo Japan's site is chock-full of HTML5. Try to load it on Wii browser and it breaks, occasionally. The 3DS will probably melt.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif
Nintendo + laziness -- it's like oil and water. Nah, I'll never believe that. And I don't believe it's necessarily to do with the constraints of the hardware either, though I couldn't say. My suspicion is that Nintendo is simply protecting its interests. For whatever reason, I think they're treading very cautiously in terms of what they open this system up to. Someone mentioned it earlier about paying through the nose for licensing to use Flash, and to me, that makes a whole lot more sense than merely laziness on Nintendo's part. They have the resources and power to approach the market on their own terms, and I think this is just them looking after themselves the way they always have. The results might frustrate us as users, but they probably spend millions of dollars each year researching what is the best way forward for them as a company.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tigris said:
tajio said:
ItsMetaKnight said:

mellow.gif

It's not that, even. Nintendo Japan's site is chock-full of HTML5. Try to load it on Wii browser and it breaks, occasionally. The 3DS will probably melt.

Japan is MUCH BETTER at supporting mobile devices than in America. Almost all Japanese sites have an i-mode or equivalent mobile version of their website that you would browse to. The whole 'full browser' thing only caught on in America because there was inexplicably no market to give users access to your website via a mobile device. The fact that the NDS has no flash isn't surprising since it's not needed at all for its intended application, which is to browse to the mobile version of the Japanese website you want to view.

Note that Adobe has limited resources. They're already only kinda sorta supporting Android for flash so you certainly can't expect them to be doing it for the 3DS. There's probably not enough power on the 3DS to really get flash going at a reasonable level. Flash was never intended to be run on an embedded device. It really relied on the CPU processing to render everything, so it has inherent inefficiencies that don't translate well onto an embedded platform. Remember their design philosophy was like Java, to provide a 'compile once run in any browser' environment. Even if they threw resources to get it working, it would most likely run like ass. Not to mention many sites abuse flash so much, you could load up a website and crash the browser (many Chinese websites are 10% content 90% flash crap)

TheNikkoMan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I, for one, never actually thought we'd get flash.
Flash is a heavy platform. It is laggy, even on top-notch Android phones. It doesn't seem like Nintendo would implement anything that wouldn't work 100% with the console.
I think we'll see a Youtube app however. And with that, I'll be happy.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You know what? A YouTube app may totally change the perspective of many depressed people grieving over this matter!
smile.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:
Wintrale said:
chris888222 said:

One opposes that the 3DS is noobz and NGP will have everything expected,
the other opposes saying that these are gaming consoles and not Internet devices.

Fine, enough already. You know what? We should already appreciate the fact that the 3DS has a free web browser. The 360 doesn't even have it. No flash or HTML5? it's okay, as long as it's not buggy like the DSi version, it's absolutely okay. I really appreciate that Nintendo actually used the ACCESS NetFront browser already.
smile.gif

EDIT: as long as I can post anything on GBAtemp with my 3DS, I will already be on cloud nine. I really hope for a YouTube app though.
laugh.gif

And to those who hope for flash/HTML5 in a firmware update, just curious... is that even possible?
unsure.gif

You do realize this is NETFRONT we are talking about, right? The same company that made the PS3 and PSP browsers (keep in mind you can't even use the PS3's browser on the official PS3/PSP forums and official blog). I seriously doubt even gbatemp and gamefaqs will work very well on it unless they make a special site which I don't see gamefaqs doing.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
nl255 said:
You do realize this is NETFRONT we are talking about, right? The same company that made the PS3 and PSP browsers (keep in mind you can't even use the PS3's browser on the official PS3/PSP forums and official blog). I seriously doubt even gbatemp and gamefaqs will work very well on it unless they make a special site which I don't see gamefaqs doing.

I don't understand why Nintendo has left Opera... they could have done an awesome and web standart compliant browser.

I don't even know which rendering engine netfront uses, probably a shitty homemade rendering engine...

EDIT: Looks like it uses webkit since the latest smartphone version, finally some good news.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As for images, the browser can directly display 3D picture data in the MPO format. Compatible image formats include MPG, GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP and ICO.

That's bad ass.

I'm still hoping for a dedicated Youtube channel - I think it'd make more sense than the browser supporting flash, especially if it can't be run simultaneously with another app, like the Web Browser. Not disappointed that flash isn't supported, as I didn't think it would be from the first place. It is good to see it's spec sheet though, I suppose.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I never really liked the opera browser on the DSi...
Really buggy and slow to load those pages where you type in the URL.

On the other hand, I love my NetFront browser on my galaxy ace.
No flash as well but no lags, hardly any problems.

I'm really hoping the same for the 3DS, together with a YouTube app (I don't care whether it's 2D/3D. I just want to watch some of my fav vids on-the-go without paying for it)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
chris888222 said:

I'm really hoping the same for the 3DS, together with a YouTube app (I don't care whether it's 2D/3D. I just want to watch some of my fav vids on-the-go without paying for it)

I really hate the NetFront browser on my PSP and PS3, which is what it will most likely be closer to.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
chris888222 said:

I really hate the NetFront browser on my PSP and PS3, which is what it will most likely be closer to.

I think most people hate it because of the navigation - the input and overall design is clunky as hell and looks ugly on the TV with the PS3, and it's just overall awkward on the PSP. With the 3DS, though, it'd probably be more akin to the Opera browser, which while slow and less powerful, was FAR easier to navigate because of the touch screen and natural movement because it supports direct input (which is 3405833804308x better than the analog stick for moving the mouse.)

D

Deleted User

Disembodied Narrator: Currently, what's going on it tigris's head at the moment?
Tigris's Head: Ohshitshitshitshitshitshit

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
nl255 said:
chris888222 said:

That my friend, we shall see on June 6/7. It's very likely to follow the PS browsers though, as it is for gaming consoles.

However with touch controls, there might be a change. Hence I'll go optimistic and keep my hopes high
tongue.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Windaga said:
nl255 said:
chris888222 said:

I think most people hate it because of the navigation - it's clunky as hell and looks ugly on the TV with the PS3, and it's just overall awkward on the PSP. With the 3DS, though, it'd probably be more akin to the Opera browser, which while slow and less powerful, was FAR easier to navigate because of the touch screen and natural movement.

Actually, I hate it because most sites don't work in it. Hell, not even the official Sony forums work. Not to mention that even gbatemp barely works. Opera on the DSi works on more sites than the PS3 browser. Opera Mini on my feature phone (LG Env3) works even better than any of them except Opera on the Wii.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
Actually, I hate it because most sites don't work in it. Hell, not even the official Sony forums work. Not to mention that even gbatemp barely works. Opera on the DSi works on more sites than the PS3 browser. Opera Mini on my feature phone (LG Env3) works even better than any of them except Opera on the Wii.

That's...odd. Both GBATemp and The Official Sony forums work just fine on my PS3. There are actually very few sites I've come across that aren't supported...But either way, those are compatibility and display issues, I'm assuming. With the newest release of the software, I'm sure those problems wouldn't be present, and if they are, it's possible that they'll be patched in a later fix.

D

Deleted User

Windaga said:
nl255 said:

That's...odd. Both GBATemp and The Official Sony forums work just fine on my PS3. There are actually very few sites I've come across that aren't supported...But either way, those are compatibility and display issues, I'm assuming. With the newest release of the software, I'm sure those problems wouldn't be present, and if they are, it's possible that they'll be patched in a later fix.
That's hoping that the 3DS's hardware architecture isn't like the Wii's sorry stack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf bunny