Gaming New 3DS Browser Info: No Adobe Flash!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
A YouTube or Facebook app may be nice.

'Facebook on Nintendo 3DS'... Neat
nyanya.gif

Hopefully these can make it up for the browser.... And if I'm not wrong the browser supports HTML4?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DiscostewSM said:
sdoc96 said:
LOL - so we won't be able to browse Nintendo's own web site in it's full glory...
http://www.nintendo.com.au/

Assuming they don't have a condensed version of their website.
All well designed web sites can have a functional condensed version which doesn't load pictures, flash, java, etc.
However, that was not my point. My point was hypocrisy.

D

Deleted-188346

Zarcon said:
It's pretty obvious they just don't want to compete with the hundreds of thousands of free online flash games.
They already said cheap phone games are doing terrible things to value.
There's no way they'd want to go up against free online flash games.
Some of which are more entertaining than proper commercial games these days.
Oh yeah, of course. They're so scared of people sitting at home, within their routers range, playing disposable flash games on their 3DS.
That'll totally ruin the sales of dedicated 3DS games.
It's not like every computer on Earth has the ability to play flash games or anything.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Puppy_Washer said:
Oh yeah, of course. They're so scared of people sitting at home, within their routers range, playing disposable flash games on their 3DS.
It's not like every computer on Earth has the ability to play flash games or anything.

It wouldn't ruin sales of dedicated 3DS games, but for sure would ruin the eShop.
What's the point for paying for e.g. Angry Birds if there's a free counterpart in Flash ? Or Excite Bike ? Or even Puzzle Bobble Universe (that's really simple and cheap game, but they still charge >$30 for it).
Plus, you don't really have to be in router's range if you can open local files from your SD (offline pages etc.)

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know this really grinds my gears, I mean the 3DS is superior in every way to the Wii so why now Flash or PDF reader, ass man, major suckage. Come on Big N bring the support the system is more then capable of handling and running PDF and Flash...Sheesh!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Centrix said:
You know this really grinds my gears, I mean the 3DS is superior in every way to the Wii so why now Flash or PDF reader, ass man, major suckage. Come on Big N bring the support the system is more then capable of handling and running PDF and Flash...Sheesh!

Well, it's already been mentioned a few times, but what the 3DS "can do" might not necessarily be at the heart of why certain features have been omitted. Keep in mind, Nintendo has been openly vocal about their philosophy that free and cheaply priced games/apps on platforms such as iOS and Android are undermining the value of gaming content. They're not about to give 3DS owners a masterkey to Flash gaming etc. via the 3DS. When you think about it, it's a miracle they're even opting to incorporate an Internet browser into the system at all. But as much as they like to claim they're not in competition with Apple, they're following in their footsteps by partitioning off content, allowing us access to only certain things via what will likely be proprietary applications.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ummmmm how bout all the peeps who downloaded the pdf reader for use on their flash carts!
also ... me, comic or e-reader would be nice also.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion , the reason why the new browser and Apple stuff don't run flash is ....
one - for speed
two- Flash is like a Virus/Malware magnet. I have purposely ran a Pentium 3 without any flash apps enabled to site i knew that had this stuff and did not pick up anything. Once i enabled it and went back to those site i was bombed.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
ferret7463 said:
In my opinion , the reason why the new browser and Apple stuff don't run flash is ....
one - for speed
two- Flash is like a Virus/Malware magnet. I have purposely ran a Pentium 3 without any flash apps enabled to site i knew that had this stuff and did not pick up anything. Once i enabled it and went back to those site i was bombed.
Actually also because of battery.

Flash browsers actually consumes a lot more battery than it's non flash counterparts.

Nintendo already knew that the 3DS has quite a 'bad' amount of battery life...
They won't want to deplet it further.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
ferret7463 said:
Infecting 3DS with Windows virus/malware is impossible.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Puppy_Washer said:

It wouldn't ruin sales of dedicated 3DS games, but for sure would ruin the eShop.
What's the point for paying for e.g. Angry Birds if there's a free counterpart in Flash ? Or Excite Bike ? Or even Puzzle Bobble Universe (that's really simple and cheap game, but they still charge >$30 for it).
Plus, you don't really have to be in router's range if you can open local files from your SD (offline pages etc.)

WiiWare wasn't ruined from the Wii having Flash support, so I don't see why the 3DS eShop would be ruined in the same situation. Portability isn't a reason as you'd still have to be within range of a usable access point.

The more logical reasons for not having it have already been listed, such as high CPU usage and high battery consumption.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This portable is mean to be video game and nothing more. If you really want adobe flash on this portable then send your complaint to Nintendo instead of keep silent will not help at all. Speak up and hope they listens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill