New: 1400 - River City Ransom EX (J)

L

lastdual

Honestly, I don't even care if the gameplay is improved or not.

RCR was and still is the best 2-D beat-em-up ever made (with the possible exception of Guardian Heroes, which I never got the chance to play...). If, like me, you can't read Japanese, then just wait for the U/E release before you judge this game, as there's a lot more here than meets the eye.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*wonders how x comp can know so much and still be so wrong*
Wrong about what? Enlighten me. All I'm doing is reading this stuff off Japanese sites
laugh.gif

QUOTE(berlinka @ Mar 3 2004, 09:05 PM)Does ANYONE know how to save this game?
So far, I haven't come by an option to save game progress yet. Just an option to save your characters. Maybe someone else might find it.

esrion

Poetic Spammer of Justice
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
like x_comp said, i can find an option for character saving, but nothing as a game status save. kind of annoying.

i've never played the NES version....

anyone have a list of all of the possible moves?

weaaddar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game on the nes took as little as half an hour on average for a quick play through. Half of that time was spent earning cash to buy texas boots to pound your enemies for the rest of the game.

GouK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RCR was and still is the best 2-D beat-em-up ever made (with the possible exception of Guardian Heroes, which I never got the chance to play...)
Guardian Heroes is by far an exceptional game!!! I wish they made that for GBA. If you go on ebay you will not find that game for less that 100 bucks. I am one of those lucky people that bought that game as soon as it came out! So many endings so many paths a must have game!

x_comp
QUOTE said:
Lets see... There's been 23 games of the series released between 1987 to 1994 for the NES, SNES and GB. This game's supposed to be the 3rd game of the Down Town series released for the NES back in 1989.

Well, still to play it...

dais
QUOTE said:

I personally also think he is wrong but then again we both can be so wrong.

x_comp
The characters remind me of a football (or soccer if you're American) on the NES back then. I don't remember the name but you could do these super strikes with the ball and then it would knock everyone out the wayÂ

There definetly was a soccer (football if you'rer EUR) game with these characters. I mentioned it in an earlier post but I forgot the name also.

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For those complaining about the graphics how they're not "improved", open you're eyes. They made it 16 bit, plus I'm glad they kept the art style for the characters like the original because anything else would suck most likely.

mukimuki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

There were several SNES series followups, but no direct sequels or anything..
First what do you define a 'direct sequel' as?
Because to my eyes, a sequel features the same characters in a a similar game style with (more importantly) some continuity in the story.
I give you:
Shodai - Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun ‰‘ã”MŒŒd”h‚­‚É‚¨ŒN (SFC)
Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka VE”MŒŒd”h‚­‚É‚¨’B‚Ì”Ò‰Ì (SFC)

both featuring one or more of the same characters as this game, in a similar setting with varying ammounts of continuity (i believe the second game takes part after the story for the gba/fc version btw). They also have very similar gameplay elements (the leveling up in shodai and the story/special moves in Shin)

either way, i'm looking forward to buying this, should be good.

@xcomp
i wonder what the the other 2 games are in the series if this is meant to be the third as the site says (obviously the fc/nes is one of them)

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the soccer games were called, at least in the USA, Nintendo World Cup. NES, Gameboy versions. i love and still play RCR and World cup. so much fun 2 player, on a good ol NES.
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kickass game and im sure, like the nes version, you wont be able to save where u are in the game
You couldn't? Bit odd. Especially when there's a storyline for the game. Either that, or it doesn't take too long to "clear".

the soccer games were called, at least in the USA, Nintendo World Cup. NES, Gameboy versions. i love and still play RCR and World cup. so much fun 2 player, on a good ol NES.
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

Yeah, I remember playing it with my brother on the original Famicom! Great fun!
laugh.gif
If only they decided to port it to the GBA too. I hated how some teams could just completely knockout your players though
mad.gif

QUOTE(mukimuki @ Mar 4 2004, 05:26 AM)
@xcomp
i wonder what the the other 2 games are in the series if this is meant to be the third as the site says (obviously the fc/nes is one of them)
Good if the site actually says
rolleyes.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
YOU CANNOT SAVE? Well, I really think that's very strange because this game asks for a proper save-function. My instant worry was this game is far too simple. I played for ages, my opponents are not very smart and you earn too much money too quickly, and the energyboosts cost too little. So I just bashed away and with the money I bought a truckload of eatable stuff (just to get rid of some money actually). As a result I spent a lot of time bashing. Next, I'm at this gate and can get no further, so I was desperately to save my precious game. But no, didn't find it. I hope the game would store the progress automatically, but when I turned off my gameboy everything was gone. Now, I think this a nice little beat'em up but I my interest in playing it again is very little due to this very annoying fact. What do you think?

killer bunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Orginal river city had password saves.

and most eatable stuff is cheap, but try to buy new moves, that costs alot... its the expensive items in book stores.

and you need to beat up the bosses, which comes after you have defeated a whole gang, at some of the places (some bosses opens op new bosses etc). once you have moved back and forth (from the start and the the gate) the gate opens and the last bosses are there.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can save, although its only your character.
Still, you can start new games with the same character.
The game is kinda easy to finish, so a game state is pointless.
AND, you can start two games, and put both characters together in a kickass game
smile.gif

M

mario5555

If you want to know about Kunio-based games go here. The Nekketsu Typhoon

Awesome site for Kunio information.

The first two as he says on the site are Renegade and Super Dodgeball so now you know.
smile.gif

mukimuki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the 'series' i was talking about was the one starring kunio as the main chara in the vein of this release, rather than what order the games kunio was used in were released.
the official site (as i mentioned) says this is the third in the series, i doubt the dodgeball game is the prequel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...