Netflix announces new Sonic animated series

sanic.jpg

Netflix's latest take on video game adaptations is Sonic the Hedgehog, as announced by the company's official channel. SEGA, Netflix, WildBrain, and Man of Action will be teaming up to create a 3D animated cartoon series starring the blue blur. The Tweet was deleted, but prior to the deletion, it said, "Rings? Check. Sneakers? Check. Speed? SONIC. SEGA’s legendary video game icon Sonic the Hedgehog races onto Netflix in a new 3D animated series from SEGA, WildBrainHQ and ManOfActionEnt premiering in 2022".

:arrow: Source: Twitter (Now Deleted)

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned the jelly donut edit for a reason. it isn't even something making it more kid friendly it's just outright hiding stuff that isn't familiar...and tbh it could be debated that it's partially harmful hiding the rest of the world from a kid...albeit miner since it's just a bit of food but still
It's way worse than that if you really look into it. TMS had already made a lot of edits to makes sure localization was easy for Sonic X in other countries by removing text which is why it seems there aren't a lot of big changes. Watching the original Japanese versions compared to the 4kids version really puts into perspective a lot of messed up stuff such as racewashed stereotypes for actors like the two servants in the house in Sonic X, or even just trying to pass everything off as American by making all the characters sing the American anthem. Stuff like this might seem like a joke, but they're basically showing this to kids saying that America is pretty much the only important/best place because of it.

Despite how much I dislike the english versions of Digimon Adventure and the other series that followed it, they at least didn't try to hide it's origins (Aside from Xros Wars' english version ew) and respected that they were originally Japanese. The problems arise with 4kids because they actively give the characters American names, change locations to sound American, and use a lot of changes to shows that sometimes make them completely different like Tokyo MewMew. 4kids didn't not "dub" a lot of their shows they made adaptations of them.

The only reason was Dragon Ball Kai and a few other shows were not that bad is because towards the end of its run 4kids had died out and Saban took over adding Power Rangers and other stuff they had the rights to fill their channel with anything besides Sonic X reruns. Those shows were not done in house, meaning they didn't really take part in adapting it. Sonic X was extremely successful because it achieved a wide audience, but you shouldn't really let you forget the other shady shit 4kids did when it came to anime. Sonic X is an anime, not a cartoon. Hell, the most tame 4kids changes were to Sonic X and Kirby for some reason.

Outside of this, I looked up the people working on this and Man of Action worked on the MegaMan show and all of Ben 10, but WildBrain is something I'm worried about. They didn't list any animation studios like Sonic Boom did when it was announced, plus this is going straight to Netflix. Seems like this might be a budget show that that tries to have more action than Sonic Boom did, but will fail because Sonic Boom relied on writing to carry the show instead of the action because of budget. I honestly would have preferred 2D animation to this especially with how TSRO look and Mania Adventures. Man of Action will most likely change character designs around like they did MegaMan so it will be pretty much hit or miss for me.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's way worse than that if you really look into it. TMS had already made a lot of edits to makes sure localization was easy for Sonic X in other countries by removing text which is why it seems there aren't a lot of big changes. Watching the original Japanese versions compared to the 4kids version really puts into perspective a lot of messed up stuff such as racewashed stereotypes for actors like the two servants in the house in Sonic X, or even just trying to pass everything off as American by making all the characters sing the American anthem. Stuff like this might seem like a joke, but they're basically showing this to kids saying that America is pretty much the only important/best place because of it.

Despite how much I dislike the english versions of Digimon Adventure and the other series that followed it, they at least didn't try to hide it's origins (Aside from Xros Wars' english version ew) and respected that they were originally Japanese. The problems arise with 4kids because they actively give the characters American names, change locations to sound American, and use a lot of changes to shows that sometimes make them completely different like Tokyo MewMew. 4kids didn't not "dub" a lot of their shows they made adaptations of them.

The only reason was Dragon Ball Kai and a few other shows were not that bad is because towards the end of its run 4kids had died out and Saban took over adding Power Rangers and other stuff they had the rights to fill their channel with anything besides Sonic X reruns. Those shows were not done in house, meaning they didn't really take part in adapting it. Sonic X was extremely successful because it achieved a wide audience, but you shouldn't really let you forget the other shady shit 4kids did when it came to anime. Sonic X is an anime, not a cartoon. Hell, the most tame 4kids changes were to Sonic X and Kirby for some reason.

Outside of this, I looked up the people working on this and Man of Action worked on the MegaMan show and all of Ben 10, but WildBrain is something I'm worried about. They didn't list any animation studios like Sonic Boom did when it was announced, plus this is going straight to Netflix. Seems like this might be a budget show that that tries to have more action than Sonic Boom did, but will fail because Sonic Boom relied on writing to carry the show instead of the action because of budget. I honestly would have preferred 2D animation to this especially with how TSRO look and Mania Adventures. Man of Action will most likely change character designs around like they did MegaMan so it will be pretty much hit or miss for me.
there's a hell of a lot to unpack there but one thing I will mention.
I wouldn't really say the castlvania series they have going is low budget so it very well could mean nothing it being direct to netflix...we are in a time where people are making there way over from tv to online streaming. it's a matter of getting with the times as far as I see it

SANIC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a hell of a lot to unpack there but one thing I will mention.
I wouldn't really say the castlvania series they have going is low budget so it very well could mean nothing it being direct to netflix...we are in a time where people are making there way over from tv to online streaming. it's a matter of getting with the times as far as I see it
Netflix isn't animating it, they just have licensing rights. WildBrain is most likely going to comission cheaper studios or do it in house similar to how the MegaMan show worked, especially since MegaMan was also a MoA show that was in 3D.

While writing this I just discovered that DHX that worked on Megaman was renamed to WildBrain, so yes it will be literally the MegaMan show just with Sonic instead.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Netflix isn't animating it, they just have licensing rights. WildBrain is most likely going to comission cheaper studios or do it in house similar to how the MegaMan show worked, especially since MegaMan was also a MoA show that was in 3D.

While writing this I just discovered that DHX that worked on Megaman was renamed to WildBrain, so yes it will be literally the MegaMan show just with Sonic instead.
so basically give up all hope now...
maxresdefault.jpg

SANIC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I myself haven't watched the show, enough but people said its likeable. The animation quality is pretty decent compared to other 3D animated shows but it felt more about calling back to what Megaman was than actually being MegaMan or doing something completely new like Sonic Boom. I was told it was starting to get good near the end of its 51 episode run before it got cancelled because Cartoon Network moved it into a death timeslot like Sym-bionic Titan and Sonic Boom were. It started having an actual story and then just died. This might fare better because it is on Netflix, but I am still on the fence.

Oh my god if Ben Schwartz voices sonic in this he might replace Roger in the games pls no I unironically like him

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's an odd stance to take from it. Animal crossing does a fine job of mixing culture from around the world, including their english localization. Things like the treehouse translation of Fire Emblem Fates is a good enough reason to want things properly localized. Let's also not forget that it wasn't just blood and "jelly donuts", but about 20 episodes of Shaman King on 4kids were cut due to the editing being impossible (Lots of dealing with death and the afterlife in that series).
I mean okay. I guess y'all have forgotten what it's like to be 8 years old, but I missed none of that stuff. I guess my stance is purely anecdotal.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wonder if its gonna be like small one-shot shorts, follow an original story or one of the game's plots
As long as its not crap, guess anything's fine by me

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Of course it was deleted, you don't announce an animated series 2 years in advance, at least not to the public.

jesus96

Pinkboi
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well it makes sense since the movie gets released on that year,I hope mario does the same eventually since it's going to be a mario vs sonic year

(Shame that Illumination has tha mario movie and that's easy views already)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill