Homebrew .NET Micro framework (C#/VB.NET)

Which language(s) do you develop in?

• Total voters

loco365

Trophies
XP
This would be something I'm interested in. I'm going to keep an eye on this, and it's also be a reason for me to actually update to VS2013 even though I have 2010 haha.

Reactions: filfat

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[advantages of C# over other members of the C family]There are none and on such a slow SoC you don't want to use anything but C. Although managed languages are nice for learning purposes I guess.

Bolded part is the key part if you expand that into more rapid/extensible development. Nobody is really expecting the homebrew competitor to whatever (something we saw several times on the DS) and instead just getting something done. That said I would encourage you to look at some of the stuff the people working in lua on the DS managed to do. C# should be more than capable of text, static images and lower end animation, speaking to the network and fiddling with the SD card. With such a thing there is plenty of scope for some great applications.

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
"The CLR is an interpreter rather than a just-in-time compiler, and uses a simpler mark-and-sweep garbage collector instead of a generational approach."

This will be slow. Also I do not think this .NET Micro Framework supports majority of C# libraries. And without them it is not much easier than C++.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
"The CLR is an interpreter rather than a just-in-time compiler, and uses a simpler mark-and-sweep garbage collector instead of a generational approach."

This will be slow. Also I do not think this .NET Micro Framework supports majority of C# libraries. And without them it is not much easier than C++.
Infact a lot of librarys are available, I think .NET MF have all listed on their CodePlex and/or Website.

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Bolded part is the key part if you expand that into more rapid/extensible development. Nobody is really expecting the homebrew competitor to whatever (something we saw several times on the DS) and instead just getting something done. That said I would encourage you to look at some of the stuff the people working in lua on the DS managed to do. C# should be more than capable of text, static images and lower end animation, speaking to the network and fiddling with the SD card. With such a thing there is plenty of scope for some great applications.
Actually .NET ME is quite optimized it wouldn't surprise me if it even allowed us to (hypothetically speaking) utilize the GPU in a low end way, heck with enough optimizing we should be able to create 2D games with a decent frame rate, and *maybe* even simple 3D stuff.
In my opinion C# is faster then developing in C++, so if we get this working so might we have a bright future ahead of us when there comes to small little useful HomeBrew tools.

Now, anyone here that is a good enough coder to get the basic .net MF FW running.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did not mean to say it would be limited to that, just that it could do all that list with relative ease and with that list of things you can do several very useful programs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1