.NET Micro framework (C#/VB.NET)

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by filfat, Apr 28, 2014.

?

Which language(s) do you develop in?

1. C#

36.5%
  2. C++

35.4%
  3. C

30.2%
  4. Other

29.2%
  5. Umm, I don't develop...

17.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. filfat
    OP

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    While this isn't a planned thing nor is it in development.
    However if there's enough interested I could always drown @xerpi in asm questions to get .NET Micro Framework to run on the 3DS ;)

Last edited by filfat, Jun 1, 2015
    supermalloch and loco365 like this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I dare say most 3ds homebrew will probably be assembly, C and C++ for the time being, indeed most people are not doing 3ds homebrew owing to a lack of info and https://github.com/smealum is about as good as things get as far as source code and libs to look at. However the 3ds having a handful of "big framework" style programming languages would make me curious. Likewise I am not sure how well it would handle the overhead but back on the DS people were using Lua to spectacular effect so that is not so bad.

filfat likes this.
  3. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Yeah, that's the plan behind "3DSharpTools" as I will be calling this quote on quote framework, to provide yet another language for developers which will help the platform grow.

4. jocopoco

jocopoco Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2014
    forever C & C++, anyway a C# is good idea.

filfat likes this.
  5. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Yes, if 95% uses C++ and 5% uses C# that's still 5% more developers :D
    I just need to get to a PC to start banging my head against the wall... aka develop ;)

6. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    If you can get this working, that will be amazing. Im already considering trying to learn C to mess around with the 3ds, but if c# works.... :D

filfat likes this.
  7. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Alright, I'm starting on the first step now, the driver. Wish me luck, and if I'm inactive for more then 2 months I have killed myself in the process :P

mercluke and misterb98 like this.
  8. jocopoco

jocopoco Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2014
    good luck :)

filfat likes this.
  9. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    Hmm interesting, I wasn't aware of the .NET Micro Framework or that .NET could compile to native ARM. It all seems unnecessarily high-level to me, but if you're a C# fan, go for it. :lol:

cearp and filfat like this.
  10. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Okay, status update.
    I have now started looking into the .NET Micro Porting kit(or PK for short) and it seems like I will have to create a special "CAD" file with the PCB layout for the compiler to understand the board correctly, also, Nintendo's 1048 SoC is not helping XD
    Oh yeah, I'm also making progress on compiling, only 43 errors and 124 warnings on a template project ;)
    Oh well I will be back when I got something new.

Worth to read(as a reminder for me):
    http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware
    http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0201d/index.html
    Etc...

BTW, anyone out there who is interested in helping? I will be publishing the codeplex project soon, but of course without any "working" code, I'm not that fast ;)

11. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Just published https://3dsharptools.codeplex.com/ its nothing yet really, actually its mostly just code taken from Netduino2, but if you are a developer who don't mind helping why don't check in :D

12. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    This is awesome. Personally I find some of the low level stuff in C/asm to be a bit of a headache...if you can in fact get this up and running I'll personally be pretty happy

13. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Okay, I have looked into the code a bit and well, I need a few C++/C Developers to get the "Firmware"(Or more like the think that runs the .NET Micro Firmware...) running on the 3DS, then everything from there will be *easy*, we just need that initial push forward. Any one? :)

14. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Still nothing, however thinking about it, it might be possible to *remap* C# to C++.
    Which means that we basically develop in C# but compile in C++ if that makes sense...

15. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Not much, I'm afraid. The differences in grammar would cause a C++ compiler to choke and mapping/replacing code prior to compilation is likely to cause more problems. What you need to look at is porting either Mono or .Net MF to the 3DS hardware. Microsoft released a porting kit for .NET MF, that's probably the best place to start.

If you want my advice, though, it's to write 3DS software using C/C++. It can be difficult at first, but the more you practice, the closer you get to having knowledge of another programming language under your belt.

filfat likes this.
  16. filfat
    OP

Nov 24, 2012
    Yes, I have looked into the porting kit, however my C++ knowledge is way to bare to be able to make any use of it, I blame C# for that(I have forgotten the most of C++ since C#).
    Hmm, I wonder how hard it would be to get Mono to run on 3DS hardware...... *Windows 95 Loading Bar*
    In short we got everything to port either .NET MF or Mono,
    We got
    • ARMv11 & ARMv9 Support.
    • We can basically access all framebuffers.
    • We can access about everything if I'm not mistaken.
    So I just need anyone to get Mono or .NET running on the 3DS and then I would gladly spend the next month or two writing C# API's that developers can use.

EDIT:
    Just saw that you recommended learning C++/C to me... you mean like re-learn it? :P

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    What are the advantages of using C# when you readily have access to C and C++?

cearp likes this.
  18. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Eh, it's mostly preference, I guess. (although you can just use C code inside C#)

filfat likes this.
  19. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    There's a number of things the .net languages take care of for you....LINQ is nice but above and beyond that there's stuff like garbage collection that automatically disposes of objects after they're done being used...(at least for most object types)

filfat likes this.
  20. ndstuff

ndstuff GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2006
    Poland
    There are none and on such a slow SoC you don't want to use anything but C. Although managed languages are nice for learning purposes I guess.

mocalacace and cearp like this.