NesDS EX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh cool, gunna snag it. How is Bros. 3 working?
biggrin.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone had problems using this on the DSi XL? Hopefully switching to software rendering makes it a bit safer to use.

princefarzan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my setup:
DSi XL
Supercard DSTWO with EOS 1.09
nesDS EX edition plugin for DSTWO
Also For all the games listed I had to manually adjust the display to center them a bit.

The games I tried:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II - The Arcade Game (U) [!] - Works flawlessly better then normal nesDS version, no more stuttering, went up to first boss thats all I tested.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - The Manhattan Project (U) - Also works perfect kind of glitchy on first boss, sprites dissappear randomly(flicker issue?).
Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) (PRG0) [!] - Works but very laggy have to reduce frame skip to 2
Battletoads (U) - Crashes
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (U) (PRG0) - Crashes
River City Ransom (U) - Works perfectly better then normal nesDS version, much more smooth.
Metroid (U) [!] - Works Perfectly.
Kirby's Adventure (U) (PRG0) [!] - Works perfectly.
Castlevania III - Dracula's Curse (U) [!] - Crashes
Mega Man 2 (U) - Works perfectly.
Mega Man 3 (U) [!] - Works perfectly.
Mega Man 5 (U) - Works perfectly.
Ninja Gaiden (U) [!] - Works perfectly.
Ninja Gaiden 2 - The Dark Sword of Chaos (U) - Works perfectly.
Ninja Gaiden 3 - The Ancient Ship of Doom (U) [!] - Works perfect to where I played to.
Super Mario Bros. 3 (U) (PRG0) [!] - Works perfectly.
Castlevania (U) (PRG0) [!] - Works but has some graphical issues.
Contra (U) [!] - Works Perfectly.

Thats all I tested so far.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't have enough time to get the BA swapped one compiled, but here is a new mod version that I poked at some more.
Not really many changes here.
I ended up using a stupid way to change the default scaling, so it's now got that squished look by default (if it's too squished, just tell me and I'll make it...less squished) and I added something that really isn't all that great.
Start+Left/Right : Toggles through the tabs (except debug, which can actually slow the game to hax level xD)
Only problem with the shortcut is that you MUST have the bottom screen already on, otherwise it's insta-crash.

-lame version, go down more-

-edit-
Oops, I accidentally forgot to change the default folder from mine (I have it as "Multimedia/Retrogame").

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Well, I don't have enough time to get the BA swapped one compiled, but here is a new mod version that I poked at some more.
Not really many changes here.
I ended up using a stupid way to change the default scaling, so it's now got that squished look by default (if it's too squished, just tell me and I'll make it...less squished) and I added something that really isn't all that great.
Start+Left/Right : Toggles through the tabs (except debug, which can actually slow the game to hax level xD)
Only problem with the shortcut is that you MUST have the bottom screen already on, otherwise it's insta-crash.

http://www.mediafire.com/?39mqm2rprb7m145

-edit-
Oops, I accidentally forgot to change the default folder from mine (I have it as "Multimedia/Retrogame").

Well, this is certainly a step in the right direction.

And I had to LOL myself when the emu became a snail while viewing the debug tab.

I suppose frameskip was a hard value to find in the hex?

Eh, don't worry about it. You fixed some of the annoyances and that's enough. Though I'm sure we'd all love to see you continue when you've got more time.
smile.gif

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Well, this is certainly a step in the right direction.
And I had to LOL myself when the emu became a snail while viewing the debug tab.
I suppose frameskip was a hard value to find in the hex?

Eh, don't worry about it. You fixed some of the annoyances and that's enough. Though I'm sure we'd all love to see you continue when you've got more time.
smile.gif
Hm...hex? Nah, I'm just poking at the source code (btw I don't understand what the hell most of it actually means...I'm mostly shifting around stuff, seeing what happens, guess what it does, and call it good =D).
I have absolutely no idea where the default setting for frameskipping is (nor do I know where the scaling settings were either, but I luckily stumbled upon something that worked).

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey, huminghao released a new version today, a few hours ago.

It's no longer 0.22b (beta) but now 0.22

DL here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/file...22.nds/download

(It's the same filename but a newer version)

I didn't do any testing yet but maybe this fixes the crashes
biggrin.gif

Nice to know huminghao and minitroopa are so devoted to this project!

EDIT: It doesn't fix the crashes, but I'm sure someone will find what's changed!

Also src
tongue.gif

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/file...cc.zip/download

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:

DL here:

biggrin.gif

EDIT: It doesn't fix the crashes, but I'm sure someone will find what's changed!

Also src
tongue.gif

Tested CV3, Punch Out still crash.

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tomrev said:
personuser said:

DL here:

biggrin.gif

Also src
tongue.gif

Tested CV3, Punch Out still crash.

Yeah, I got that too
tongue.gif

I wonder what HAS changed? There's no new readme in the src.
unsure.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey jurassic, could you post (or PM?) the information you have on how to add ExtLink and the 'Ext/Regular load not crash into eachother' to nesDS?

Currently I'm messing around with the trunk build since it remembers settings and it seems the EX version doesn't have all the polish of the regular.
I'm hoping that the ExtLink info will help me to figure out how to change the default start-in directory when you run nesDS.nds itself (I think the ExtLink version only changes the path when opened via ExtLink).

gothicall

Blah blah blah!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Why they change the hardware acceleration for the software? I hate this frame skipping. Hope they will fix that PCM channel fault (¬¬).
yaynds.gif

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gothicall said:
I hate this frame skipping.

Go into the "display tab" and change frameskip from 4 to 2. You'll barely be able to tell you're running a software emulator!
wink.gif

Also, EX has both a hardware and software mode. Hold "A" when you launch the emulator to use hardware rendering mode.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Hey jurassic, could you post (or PM?) the information you have on how to add ExtLink and the 'Ext/Regular load not crash into eachother' to nesDS?

Currently I'm messing around with the trunk build since it remembers settings and it seems the EX version doesn't have all the polish of the regular.
I'm hoping that the ExtLink info will help me to figure out how to change the default start-in directory when you run nesDS.nds itself (I think the ExtLink version only changes the path when opened via ExtLink).
Actually, changing the default start-in directory is in the "init_rommenu()" =D. Just add a "FAT_chdir("");" above the "i=FAT_FindFirstFile(nextfile+1);"...from what I sort of understand, the path of the rom/file is stored in the extlink.dat when you select it in Moonshell2 and adding extlink support just shows how to get that information from the extlink.dat, apart from that it just give the filename back to nesDS as if it were selected regularly. I could still show you it if you want to see it (it is sort of easier to understand than the .h that Moonlight had in the moonshell2 download).
They actually conflicted with each other because they both send the file to nesDS in the same way (the chunk that sends the file seems to be copy/pasted from the original piece) and so whenever the rom menu was loaded, it would go straight to check the extlink first before ever reaching the regular menu (so you pretty much couldn't change the game). I just added a small bit to toggle a switch after the first load so that it uses the regular menu afterwards (as it is currently, if you ran nesds separately after using an extlink, it would run that game rather than let you choose).

btw to anyone that cares, I want to try looking at what was changed with the savestates...because I lost mine TT-TT...hopefully I can make it work...most likely not...since I have no idea how they made the nesDS original part of nesDS Ex...I know how they include it...but when I swap the file, it breaks Ex mode...original mode works fine though xD, apparently they didn't release any source of nesDS original for whatever they changed in order to include nesDS into nesDS Ex...so unless I get some help from Taiju (who said he figured out what they did after I told him the strange stuff I was getting) most likely I'm going to just attempt bringing the original savestate back rather than the one that is currently in Ex...if they are visibly different anyways...

Heartless as this sounds, I'm actually not poking around with the source for you people xD...nesDS just happens to really hate my DS's screen, so I'm just making it more convenient for myself =D, though I am trying to think of a cheap way to change the default frameskip...because I have no idea how, and it's kind of fun trying to learn how.

QUOTE(personuser @ Feb 10 2011, 08:46 AM) Hey, huminghao released a new version today, a few hours ago.
Also src
tongue.gif
I actually saw this about an hour after it was posted...but they only released an updated .nds file, the source added is just the original ported to gcc (and I have no clue what gcc is...but I know that it isn't the Ex version, nor is it the one needed to include the original into the Ex version).

Recorderdude

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nl255 said:
So have there been any reports of DSi XL screen problems when using software rendering?

Not yet. Heck, it's only really been known (From when I posted it ) for two days!

I'm sure somebody armed with spinal's deghoster will test it.

Far as I see it, tho, if nesterDS+ doesn't freak out the screen, why would this?

(admittedly tho this PWNs nester in so many ways they cannot be counted)

Also, you have to consider that the default frameskip is 4 but everything runs fine on the lowest setting, 2. Depending on which is used (and what speeds are achieved) burn-in may be more or less common.

I think the speed of the Ex software mode itself can be described as running an (E) game in FCEUX with PAL emulation enabled - Try it, you'll see what I mean.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
personuser said:
nl255 said:
So have there been any reports of DSi XL screen problems when using software rendering?

Not yet. Heck, it's only really been known (From when I posted it ) for two days!

I'm sure somebody armed with spinal's deghoster will test it.

Far as I see it, tho, if nesterDS+ doesn't freak out the screen, why would this?

(admittedly tho this PWNs nester in so many ways they cannot be counted)

Also, you have to consider that the default frameskip is 4 but everything runs fine on the lowest setting, 2. Depending on which is used (and what speeds are achieved) burn-in may be more or less common.

I think the speed of the Ex software mode itself can be described as running an (E) game in FCEUX with PAL emulation enabled - Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Do you think the burn in could have something to do with the dirty low level video hardware tricks (hacks) the original NesDS used since other emulators/games don't seem to have the problem nearly as often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative